IPO and K9 police training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default IPO and K9 police training

Hey guys im just wondering what is the different between IPO 1/2/3 and K9 unit for police training ? I maybe wrong but it seems like dogs who go to IPO training only attack sleeves when they see it but police dogs will kick someone's ass w/o sleeves or the thick jacket.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I think that's the point....
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How many training sessions of either side have you been on? How many dogs of either side have you seen work?
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
How many training sessions of either side have you been on? How many dogs of either side have you seen work?
None just by posts here on the forum. am i wrong ?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It all depends on the training. IPO dogs have to bite sleeve or be DQ'd in trial. IPO dogs can also learn to bite suit/hidden sleeve...all depends on the training and clarity that the dog has.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Clio, California, close to anyway. Live in a remote mountain area.
Default Training

Go to a class and observe, if they allow it. Their dogs who are trained to disarm(carrying a weapon), they also have contraband smellers, and then there are those who take down dangerous people and will keep the person down until called off. There are rescue dogs, and cadaver dogs. endless possibilities with this breeds intelligence and drive.
Skywalkers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

difference in agitators -- which are not "helpers" , not friends before and not friends after .

Carmspack
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace GSD View Post
None just by posts here on the forum. am i wrong ?
Yeah. You have to go to trainings, see the dogs. You'll see, and hopefully the helper will give you some idea of what kind of dog you're dealing with.

It’s all about training. And most sport people could care less if their dog is a “real” dog or not. It’s all about sport and points. So why does the dog need to be trained to actually bite?

Police dogs are started the same way sport dogs are. Sleeve, jacket, suit. Doesn’t matter. They’re started with a flirt pole and a bite pillow. They get more pressure put on them to see if they’ll hold up in a “real fight” but you can do that just as easily in IPO training…just ask a helper to do it and they will. Advanced dogs can have a hidden sleeve slipped to them and see if they’ll bite it. I have a more “sleeve focused” dog because he was started late and truly does look at it as a game. He’s still got plenty of fight drive, and he doesn’t slip off the sleeve when weird pressure is put on him, but he’s 100% sleeve focused. He’s bitten a hidden sleeve before. It’s a fun exercise…most dogs will do it if the helper presents it correctly.

There are inherent genetic things that police K9s and military dogs need to have over sport dogs. It doesn’t mean that a sport dog can’t have those things as well…but at the end of the day, a sport dog doesn’t have as high of an expectation as those dogs do, so there’s no reason to train the way that K9 or military does. I do the sport for fun, for myself, and to have some idea of what my dog is capable of. But lives are never at stake when my dog is “working” so there’s really no need to train him to that level or test him to a level that might make him break and then I can’t enjoy what I like to do with him if he doesn’t have the genetic capability to take whatever the helper (or myself) decide to throw at him.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
Yeah. You have to go to trainings, see the dogs. You'll see, and hopefully the helper will give you some idea of what kind of dog you're dealing with.

It’s all about training. And most sport people could care less if their dog is a “real” dog or not. It’s all about sport and points. So why does the dog need to be trained to actually bite?

Police dogs are started the same way sport dogs are. Sleeve, jacket, suit. Doesn’t matter. They’re started with a flirt pole and a bite pillow. They get more pressure put on them to see if they’ll hold up in a “real fight” but you can do that just as easily in IPO training…just ask a helper to do it and they will. Advanced dogs can have a hidden sleeve slipped to them and see if they’ll bite it. I have a more “sleeve focused” dog because he was started late and truly does look at it as a game. He’s still got plenty of fight drive, and he doesn’t slip off the sleeve when weird pressure is put on him, but he’s 100% sleeve focused. He’s bitten a hidden sleeve before. It’s a fun exercise…most dogs will do it if the helper presents it correctly.

There are inherent genetic things that police K9s and military dogs need to have over sport dogs. It doesn’t mean that a sport dog can’t have those things as well…but at the end of the day, a sport dog doesn’t have as high of an expectation as those dogs do, so there’s no reason to train the way that K9 or military does. I do the sport for fun, for myself, and to have some idea of what my dog is capable of. But lives are never at stake when my dog is “working” so there’s really no need to train him to that level or test him to a level that might make him break and then I can’t enjoy what I like to do with him if he doesn’t have the genetic capability to take whatever the helper (or myself) decide to throw at him.
Thanks guys for the info cause i saw a lady post the other day . She had 2 german shepherd who go through IPO training but when some drunk guy get in her car and she was so afraid even yelling.. the dog just sat there. So i was wondering what does the police do differently . I guess genetic and hidden sleeve does make sense.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

That sounds like that dog, not the average sport dog. If someone tried to enter my car with my IPO dog it wouldn't end well for them.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.