Dispelling SchH Myths - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Dispelling SchH Myths

Within the last week, I have been reminded of how easy it is for people to misunderstand the purpose and intent of SchH/IPO.
Perhaps it is a case of people who do understand, discussing aspects of it while those who do not participate read that exchange..... but clearly, some are simply not comprehending what it was intended to be about.

Lets start with one myth at a time, discuss/explain it clearly and then move on to the next.

Myth #1: SchH/IPO dogs are bred to bite people....all people....completely unprovoked, while they are simply minding their own business. It is believed that they are dangerous to family, friends and children.

Those who believe this are encouraged to participate. I am asking that the people providing the answers offer something to back them up with, i.e. rule book excerpts, photos, video....whatever. I also feel that those that believe the myth should provide their own source for that belief.

Lets keep it real and try not to be sarcastic or emotional.....just the FACTS please.

Anne
www.adlerstein.com
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why do they 'beat' the dog when the dog is biting? Never understood that :c
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

to make sure the dog wont retreat
a further test of nerves

in a real world situation the dog could be attacked by the person it is taking down
Old 07-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't believe it, but then I read leerburg 's stuff and it had a line below

' If you own any dog, but especially a dog that has had the smallest amount of aggression or protection training it is your moral and legal obligation to make sure that you do everything possible to ensure that your dog is never in a situation where it could bite a child.'

I guess I'm wondering why he said that and I'm wondering if I'm wrong in thinking this means that a dog that had protection training changes in some way.

I'd do IPO if I can find a club that picks up the phone so I don't believe this. But would like to know why he said this.

ETA he said this while talking about a case of a woman whose protection trained rots killed a child. She wasn't a responsible owner though

http://leerburg.com/kidbites.htm

Last edited by lalachka; 07-05-2014 at 01:19 PM.
lalachka is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

The helper doesn't "beat" the dog. Those are carefully placed hits with a padded stick.

Will the dog be distracted enough to come off of the sleeve? Or will the quality of the grip change from full & confident to more hectic?

Those are the kinds of issues the judge is looking for. A dog with good nerve strength is going to maintain a confident grip on the sleeve.

I'm sure Anne can explain far better than I.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I thought the stick only became padded lately and it used to be a regular stick.

I'm still OK with it. If the dog ever does need to protect then there's a chance he will get beaten. Might as well get used to it now.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Any dog can bite a child if not exposed to children" that goes for a trained dog or not" a sound dog socialized and trained is safer than a dog not trained or socialized" a dog trained wrong is a liability" trained right would die for a child they would never bite a child" a dog that would is not a sound dog" no matter what he can do. J.m.o. Bill

Stahl my boy!
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
Any dog can bite a child if not exposed to children" that goes for a trained dog or not" a sound dog socialized and trained is safer than a dog not trained or socialized" a dog trained wrong is a liability" trained right would die for a child they would never bite a child" a dog that would is not a sound dog" no matter what he can do. J.m.o. Bill

Stahl my boy!
That's what I thought and I was wondering why he threw that in. That does imply that dogs change after protection training, doesn't it? Lol then people read and myths start
Old 07-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalachka View Post
I thought the stick only became padded lately and it used to be a regular stick.

I'm still OK with it. If the dog ever does need to protect then there's a chance he will get beaten. Might as well get used to it now.
One of the biggest criticisms of ScH is that it doesn't train the dog for "real life" protection, ie the dogs are being trained to win the sleeve away from the helper rather than protect the handler in real life scenarios. They're cuing on the sleeve, not the bad guy, IOW.

Again, Anne is the expert. I will add, however, that my best ScH dog was super social, loved everybody. Friendliest dog you could ever hope to meet.
zetti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah I heard about sleeve dogs. And I realize that schh is a sport and not all of them will protect in real life. And I'm still OK with the stick lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.