Quick Schutzhund Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
theShep

Default Quick Schutzhund Question

I've been interested in schutzhund for a long time, as well owning German Shepherds, but the problem is I'm 15. Will a schutzhund club allow a 15 year old train dogs, especially if I will be the only caretaker/trainer for the dog?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

absolutely!! I would hope any club would encourage our youth to get involved in the sport.
Curious to know how you are able to post as a guest with n/a as your post count, however...interesting!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

You'll have some level of parental involvement because you're 15 and can't yet drive, right?

I think clubs would welcome an enthusiastic youth handler as well.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
theShep

Thanks for answering!
And yeah I have no idea how the posting system works lol.

Yes, I would have to have one of my parents drive me and provide financial support but other than that the dog would be considered mine rather than the family dog.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should know that at most clubs Schutzhund is an all day event, that unfortunately you probably need a vehicle for and a crate inside that vehicle to keep your dog in while he/she isn't working.

Most clubs track early in the morning, then move on to obedience and protection in the late morning (all depends on how many people are there to track). You'll need to keep your dog contained, not out on a leash, away from the field while you're waiting your turn to go.

Just to put it into perspective, I train with a group of about 10-15 dogs. It takes us about 3-4 hours to get through the obedience and the protection work. A lot of the dogs are owned by the same people so it doesn't help speed things up, but I'm just pointing out how long it can take and what kind of time commitment it is when you're actually at training.

I think the problem most people have with Schutzhund training is that its unlike anything they've done before when it comes to scheduling. You don't just set up a time, show up, do your thing, and leave. You're almost required to stick around and watch the other dogs go, learn from them, ect.

Not saying a club will turn you down, but I'm just pointing out why it would be difficult to do it if your parents at this point aren't 100% behind it as well.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If they don't, they're not a very good club. I've heard time and time again that, at least here in Ontario, clubs are trying to nurture and encourage young handlers.

Besides, learning how to train and handle a dog, work hard and meet goals, it good for anyone, any age, but especially young handlers.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would love for either of my children (both teenagers) to show interest in the sport.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
You should know that at most clubs Schutzhund is an all day event, that unfortunately you probably need a vehicle for and a crate inside that vehicle to keep your dog in while he/she isn't working.
Not saying a club will turn you down, but I'm just pointing out why it would be difficult to do it if your parents at this point aren't 100% behind it as well.
Interesting post Martemchik. Sch is something I have thought about doing but have not committed to just yet. I am quickly learning how much of a commitment it really takes to do this sport.

I am wondering, for the OPs sake, if mom/dad/sibling/friend could drop theShep and his/her dog off in the morning with a crate and a canopy. Setting up the canopy would seem to make a suitable resting spot with shade during waiting times. Perhaps a car pool could also be found with a club member. Just throwing out some ideas.

Best of luck to you theShep,

Michael

Madeline Ronan Heart (Maddie) Dec 1997 -- November 22, 2013 Rescue GSD, Sable
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a young protege that started with me at 16 and nice 8 week puppy. He is now 17, his parents used to drive him to training twice a week, but now he has his liscense. The kid is learning to work dogs from both ends of the leash. He is a sponge as he soaks up all the information he can get. I have now got him and his dog in a training with John Martoreilli, one of the most knowledgable trainers in NJ. Young people are the future for the breed to remain a functional working dog....I hope you find someone to take you under their wing.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi and welcome to the forum!

The board software does not seem to like certain mobile devices - are you posting from a phone? Your posts show up as "moderated" and one of us moderators need to approve them before they show up - again, a software issue. You should be a 'Junior Member' when you first register and show a post count - You won't be able to access many of the board features as a guest (not to mention the problem of your posts not showing up!).

Can you try re-registering from a regular computer or laptop and see if that works? You might need to register with a new user name (we'll have to 'ban' the old one, LOL - don't worry, you won't be in trouble. )

Thanks!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.