German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Carma protection video 6/2-3/2014 (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/456834-carma-protection-video-6-2-3-2014-a.html)

GatorDog 06-03-2014 11:08 PM

Carma protection video 6/2-3/2014

Got some shots from yesterday and today. A few things that I can see need a bit of tweaking, but I am happy with her overall picture :)

https://vimeo.com/97283702

hunterisgreat 06-03-2014 11:18 PM

I like the transport backwards... Could you elaborate on this? why, what you were looking for, what you are marking, etc?

GatorDog 06-03-2014 11:22 PM

I started realizing that dogs obviously anticipate based on reward placement. I initially would release her forward to the helper and saw a bit of the forging result. One of my training partners brainstormed that by initiating the transport by moving backwards and only giving a reward from backing up and having the helper come all the way to them, the anticipation from reward placement should fade. I always start going backwards and reward from going backwards now. If I am trying to mark the correct behavior, I will say "good", then take at least 1-2 steps back before allowing the reward to come to her. I started it on a ball first.

Matt Vandart 06-04-2014 07:13 AM

Good thinking!

How old is Carma by the way?
She looks like a thinking dog to me, is she a thinker?
I like her :)

GatorDog 06-04-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Vandart (Post 5598929)
Good thinking!

How old is Carma by the way?
She looks like a thinking dog to me, is she a thinker?
I like her :)

Thanks! She'll be 18 months old at the end of June. She is a thinker :)

hunterisgreat 06-04-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 5598434)
I started realizing that dogs obviously anticipate based on reward placement. I initially would release her forward to the helper and saw a bit of the forging result. One of my training partners brainstormed that by initiating the transport by moving backwards and only giving a reward from backing up and having the helper come all the way to them, the anticipation from reward placement should fade. I always start going backwards and reward from going backwards now. If I am trying to mark the correct behavior, I will say "good", then take at least 1-2 steps back before allowing the reward to come to her. I started it on a ball first.

I've done similar in that the helper always came to us to deal with the forging aspect if you just do "vanilla" transports. What are you doing with your turns? I have been doing turns probably similar, rather than a 90 degree turn, I turn 90 but step backwards, then move forwards so if you traced our path it would make a T if that makes sense...

By starting with a ball, you mean a ball on the ground that you're transporting to? After some frustration I went back and started my transports over with their dinner in the house.

GatorDog 06-04-2014 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 5599490)
I've done similar in that the helper always came to us to deal with the forging aspect if you just do "vanilla" transports. What are you doing with your turns? I have been doing turns probably similar, rather than a 90 degree turn, I turn 90 but step backwards, then move forwards so if you traced our path it would make a T if that makes sense...

By starting with a ball, you mean a ball on the ground that you're transporting to? After some frustration I went back and started my transports over with their dinner in the house.

Yup! For turns, I almost always do a T, but I do mix it up every once in a while to make sure they can walk straight without running in either direction right after the turn lol.

I would use a big ball so it was visual and high value (think soccer ball or large green everlasting ball) and started the movements with it on the ground. Right now, I am also going to spend a little time back on our foundation by only taking two steps at a time and halting with my left leg back to solidify the concept of not just walking next to me, but keeping exact position with my left leg.

hunterisgreat 06-04-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 5599506)
Yup! For turns, I almost always do a T, but I do mix it up every once in a while to make sure they can walk straight without running in either direction right after the turn lol.

I would use a big ball so it was visual and high value (think soccer ball or large green everlasting ball) and started the movements with it on the ground. Right now, I am also going to spend a little time back on our foundation by only taking two steps at a time and halting with my left leg back to solidify the concept of not just walking next to me, but keeping exact position with my left leg.

Do you teach contact with your leg during the transport or no?

GatorDog 06-04-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 5599562)
Do you teach contact with your leg during the transport or no?

Yeah. And I had awesome leaning in the past, but so much repetition of the forward/backwards got away from that. So I figure that going back every so often to refresh that leaning in the foundation with two steps at a time on the left leg will bring it back. I'm glad I did the foundation in the first place because after just one session she seems to remember it pretty well.

Matt Vandart 06-05-2014 06:42 PM

How do you use a ball for back transport?