German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Second Session in Protection; Vid (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/452833-second-session-protection-vid.html)

The Stig 05-21-2014 04:35 PM

Second Session in Protection; Vid
 
Janka and I carpooled with our trainer and another handler to San Diego over the weekend to train with another club.

This is her second time being worked in protection, and my first as a handler. She was tethered to a tree the first time, so I am still trying to find my immovable frame - all 4'11" of thunder and lightning - and looking far from graceful.

Any suggestions?

I am finding out as I go, that there are a lot of new skills to learn as a handler.

It takes some strength lifting your dog by her collar, then kicking the wedge back out while making sure she doesn't pull free and cause you to face plant. I also had rope burn from the nylon leash while deliberately letting her out. I got corrected for just letting all 6 feet of the leash go at once. Oops. :crazy:

I think this was the second to last bite she got. She had a good time, and I picked up a lot of useful information from the TD and other members.


Gah. This is so fun! I thought tracking was addicting, but this is just bonkers mad fun!

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 04:40 PM

Get a deeper stance. Put the anchor hand (your right in this video) now under your butt cheek like you're repelling. The left hand is there to guide the line *only*. Deeper stance, and you can not get moved so easily. Thats why the dog got a grip it wasn't supposed to get.

Stand like this. Theres a reason its done in Martial Arts... stability
http://www.martialforce.com/ELIAS%20...ANCE%20SIX.jpg

Steve Strom 05-21-2014 04:47 PM

Yeah, keep your weight on your back foot. Lean away from her. Get a longer line too, more like 12'. Its easier if you aren't right up close to her, back just a little bit from where you are.

Are you cradling her before you out & kick the wedge?

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5548545)
Yeah, keep your weight on your back foot. Lean away from her. Get a longer line too, more like 12'. Its easier if you aren't right up close to her, back just a little bit from where you are.

Are you cradling her before you out & kick the wedge?

I wouldn't recommend the longer line. Folks tend to show up with way too long a line and the dog can get way too much space to roam, back up and charge, etc.

The Stig 05-21-2014 04:50 PM

Thanks for the picture, will keep that in mind the next time. Is my weight more on the back leg then, or should it be equally distributed in both feet? I think I was trying to keep my weight in the back, but I kept leaning forwards.

I was told that I was gripping too much with the left hand too after I put my dog away, but I had totally forgotten about it. Thank you for reminding me. They suggested it should closer towards my body as well.

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 5548577)
Thanks for the picture, will keep that in mind the next time. Is my weight more on the back leg then, or should it be equally distributed in both feet? I think I was trying to keep my weight in the back, but I kept leaning forwards.

I was told that I was gripping too much with the left hand too after I put my dog away, but I had totally forgotten about it. Thank you for reminding me. They suggested it should closer towards my body as well.

I tell people to make a circle with their guide hand so the leash can freely move in it, or even just put your palm towards the sky

I was looking for a good pic for you but found this one. As you can see, with proper technique, you can one-hand it like me :cool: Frees up the other hand for other purposes
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...05226830_o.jpg

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 04:58 PM

As you can see here, I've got a deep stance, and I often use my guide hand to lift up or push down on the leash to act as a spring to absorb the shock of the dog hitting the end of the leash. Note the anchor hand is low and under my butt.. super important. Note my rear leg is weighted

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...46038248_o.jpg

Steve Strom 05-21-2014 05:01 PM

It just seems like most folks with a 6' leash seem to end up out of leash and off balance. I'm not talking about those 30' lines. Just 12' or so.

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5548641)
It just seems like most folks with a 6' leash seem to end up out of leash and off balance. I'm not talking about those 30' lines. Just 12' or so.

I go as much as a 10 foot as you can see, but nothing is needed above that... and in both pics above you can see I'm not even using all the leash

hunterisgreat 05-21-2014 05:02 PM

caveat, I'm left handed so most folks would be a mirror image of my stance


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2