A dog's nerves? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default A dog's nerves?

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I was viewing this boy and apparently he seems to be collecting some hype and will be used as a stud dog. He looks nice, although I don't quite like his top line. A little curvy for my taste, but I am no expert on conformation and German Shepherds. I am just an enthusiast.

I watched his video and again, I am no expert, but does he look a little nervous? German Shepherd dog experts, particularly the working line people, what do you think and could you please shed some light on me?

Bruno vom Wallensener-Hof

EDIT: V Bruno vom Wallensener Hof ~ Here's his pedigree. Also would like to know if anyone has any idea on what progeny he could have?

Last edited by Yoshi; 05-20-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

13 seconds in, you see they cut the tape, but the dog was backing away from the decoy when the decoy moved in. I don't see a confident dog IMO. On the table I see a dog at times trying to avoid the helper.

But what do I know?
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the tie out was too short --- dog was already at the extent of the tie out , had to move sideways or step back to get a forward movement.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
the tie out was too short --- dog was already at the extent of the tie out , had to move sideways or step back to get a forward movement.
Look at the first clip that gets cut short a few more times
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Old 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Just a couple of comments. The stillness of the helper REALLY disturbs this dog. The behavior the dog shows speaks volumes but some know it all will try to tell us this means the dog is somehow "real". He's real alright but if I say what kind of real, the board will censor it.
Sorry, I do not like this dog in the least but this seems to be the direction the working lines are headed in. Most disturbing are the videos being posted showing these behaviors like they are something we should all be excited about. The teeth, the bark and the over-reaction says it all...I don't care that he will chase and bite a sleeve to get some security, the dog is not at all confident and the fear is quite evident. The Germans, who were once the people who truly understood the dogs, are now just as ignorant as many in the states.
Working lines now being bred to look like show lines and showing the decline in temperament along with it. It's simply maddening. Oh...and I DO know what I am talking about. Lets see where we are in another five or ten years of this idiocy.

Anne
www.adlerstein.com
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Just a couple of comments. The stillness of the helper REALLY disturbs this dog. The behavior the dog shows speaks volumes but some know it all will try to tell us this means the dog is somehow "real". He's real alright but if I say what kind of real, the board will censor it.
Sorry, I do not like this dog in the least but this seems to be the direction the working lines are headed in. Most disturbing are the videos being posted showing these behaviors like they are something we should all be excited about. The teeth, the bark and the over-reaction says it all...I don't care that he will chase and bite a sleeve to get some security, the dog is not at all confident and the fear is quite evident. The Germans, who were once the people who truly understood the dogs, are now just as ignorant as many in the states.
Working lines now being bred to look like show lines and showing the decline in temperament along with it. It's simply maddening. Oh...and I DO know what I am talking about. Lets see where we are in another five or ten years of this idiocy.
That's why I shall strive to maintain at least one bloodline of solid dogs. Wish I could show what confident table work looks like lol. Maybe I'll look for a video to edit and share
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Old 05-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I really would love to see what a confident dog looks like on the table, and if you have such a video I hope that you'll post it (and knowledgeable people will comment on it) so that I can try to learn something.

What I see on this video doesn't look much like a confident dog to me. But I actually am clueless and am not just being modest there.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
I really would love to see what a confident dog looks like on the table, and if you have such a video I hope that you'll post it (and knowledgeable people will comment on it) so that I can try to learn something.

What I see on this video doesn't look much like a confident dog to me. But I actually am clueless and am not just being modest there.
There you go. Everyone is free to ask questions, express opinions, tell me I'm incorrect (I'm sure *someone* will lol). Note... this is a square table. It is meant to be more stressful. Round tables are typically used for control work

SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen

Last edited by hunterisgreat; 05-20-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

in the video of Bruno he is very defensive .
Was the clip longer or have parts been edited ?
Would have been nice to see the entire episode to see what the interaction was between decoy and dog from the beginning. At what point, or how quickly , or for what reason did the dog get SO worked up . At any point once the decoy is still the dog should start to settle, but at the same time be watchful.
What I saw or see is in the running portion on the field the dog has no fight and there is lofting just behind the whithers , a slight involuntary hackling when the dog about to get the sleeve and just fresh off the sleeve. Subtle .

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

That dog looks like he wasnt to far away from soiling himself on the table. Im betting his bite would have been chewy as heck probably why it wasnt shown.
There is a reason he was sold to Oz and its not because he is any good imo.. I think him being a stud has way more to do with his V rating then his actual workability. If he was SG or G I am betting he would be a club level pet if even that.

To paraphrase a certain breeder. This is a great example of a working show dog..imo..
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.

Last edited by Blitzkrieg1; 05-20-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.