German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   A dog's nerves? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/452162-dogs-nerves.html)

Yoshi 05-20-2014 08:23 AM

A dog's nerves?

Hi guys, sorry if this is in the wrong place but I was viewing this boy and apparently he seems to be collecting some hype and will be used as a stud dog. He looks nice, although I don't quite like his top line. A little curvy for my taste, but I am no expert on conformation and German Shepherds. I am just an enthusiast. :)

I watched his video and again, I am no expert, but does he look a little nervous? German Shepherd dog experts, particularly the working line people, what do you think and could you please shed some light on me?

Bruno vom Wallensener-Hof

EDIT: V Bruno vom Wallensener Hof ~ Here's his pedigree. Also would like to know if anyone has any idea on what progeny he could have?

hunterisgreat 05-20-2014 09:10 AM

13 seconds in, you see they cut the tape, but the dog was backing away from the decoy when the decoy moved in. I don't see a confident dog IMO. On the table I see a dog at times trying to avoid the helper.

But what do I know?

carmspack 05-20-2014 09:31 AM

the tie out was too short --- dog was already at the extent of the tie out , had to move sideways or step back to get a forward movement.

hunterisgreat 05-20-2014 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmspack (Post 5540826)
the tie out was too short --- dog was already at the extent of the tie out , had to move sideways or step back to get a forward movement.

Look at the first clip that gets cut short a few more times

Vandal 05-20-2014 12:50 PM

Just a couple of comments. The stillness of the helper REALLY disturbs this dog. The behavior the dog shows speaks volumes but some know it all will try to tell us this means the dog is somehow "real". He's real alright but if I say what kind of real, the board will censor it.
Sorry, I do not like this dog in the least but this seems to be the direction the working lines are headed in. Most disturbing are the videos being posted showing these behaviors like they are something we should all be excited about. The teeth, the bark and the over-reaction says it all...I don't care that he will chase and bite a sleeve to get some security, the dog is not at all confident and the fear is quite evident. The Germans, who were once the people who truly understood the dogs, are now just as ignorant as many in the states.
Working lines now being bred to look like show lines and showing the decline in temperament along with it. It's simply maddening. Oh...and I DO know what I am talking about. Lets see where we are in another five or ten years of this idiocy.

hunterisgreat 05-20-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandal (Post 5542097)
Just a couple of comments. The stillness of the helper REALLY disturbs this dog. The behavior the dog shows speaks volumes but some know it all will try to tell us this means the dog is somehow "real". He's real alright but if I say what kind of real, the board will censor it.
Sorry, I do not like this dog in the least but this seems to be the direction the working lines are headed in. Most disturbing are the videos being posted showing these behaviors like they are something we should all be excited about. The teeth, the bark and the over-reaction says it all...I don't care that he will chase and bite a sleeve to get some security, the dog is not at all confident and the fear is quite evident. The Germans, who were once the people who truly understood the dogs, are now just as ignorant as many in the states.
Working lines now being bred to look like show lines and showing the decline in temperament along with it. It's simply maddening. Oh...and I DO know what I am talking about. Lets see where we are in another five or ten years of this idiocy.

That's why I shall strive to maintain at least one bloodline of solid dogs. Wish I could show what confident table work looks like lol. Maybe I'll look for a video to edit and share

Merciel 05-20-2014 01:21 PM

I really would love to see what a confident dog looks like on the table, and if you have such a video I hope that you'll post it (and knowledgeable people will comment on it) so that I can try to learn something.

What I see on this video doesn't look much like a confident dog to me. But I actually am clueless and am not just being modest there. ;)

hunterisgreat 05-20-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merciel (Post 5542297)
I really would love to see what a confident dog looks like on the table, and if you have such a video I hope that you'll post it (and knowledgeable people will comment on it) so that I can try to learn something.

What I see on this video doesn't look much like a confident dog to me. But I actually am clueless and am not just being modest there. ;)

There you go. Everyone is free to ask questions, express opinions, tell me I'm incorrect (I'm sure *someone* will lol). Note... this is a square table. It is meant to be more stressful. Round tables are typically used for control work

carmspack 05-20-2014 05:43 PM

in the video of Bruno he is very defensive .
Was the clip longer or have parts been edited ?
Would have been nice to see the entire episode to see what the interaction was between decoy and dog from the beginning. At what point, or how quickly , or for what reason did the dog get SO worked up . At any point once the decoy is still the dog should start to settle, but at the same time be watchful.
What I saw or see is in the running portion on the field the dog has no fight and there is lofting just behind the whithers , a slight involuntary hackling when the dog about to get the sleeve and just fresh off the sleeve. Subtle .

Blitzkrieg1 05-20-2014 05:51 PM

That dog looks like he wasnt to far away from soiling himself on the table. Im betting his bite would have been chewy as heck probably why it wasnt shown.
There is a reason he was sold to Oz and its not because he is any good imo.. I think him being a stud has way more to do with his V rating then his actual workability. If he was SG or G I am betting he would be a club level pet if even that.

To paraphrase a certain breeder. This is a great example of a working show dog..imo..