What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION

I was wanting to get my dog into tracking, but I just learned that Schutzhund includes tracking, obedience and protection; so why not just go with that? It seems fairly intensive, but it seems like a lot of fun. There is a Schutzhund club in my city. What exactly do I need for this? I hard that most people use leather harnesses for bite work. Why is that?

What else will I need?
Tiny-Toy Poodle 9/25/2009-
CharlieB.Barkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Minimum? 6ft leash, agitation collar. Everything else is optional
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I started out with an agitation/tracking dual purpose harness, a prong, a fursaver, a 4 ft thin leather obedience leash, and regulation tracking leash. I also had a smaller leather tug toy and a flirt pole.

My collection has grown. A lot. Yours will too once you get into the sport!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think what you really need is the right dog, but that said, It might be a good idea for you to meet the club in person before you do anything. See how they feel about testing your dog and just how well you get along with the people.

Remember, its a club. Its not the same as going to someone to pay them for training lessons.
Steve Strom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Talk to the training director of the club. Different trainers use different equipment.

Safe equipment you won't waste your money on is a prong, a 6' leash and a 15' leash. A ball (I like the chuckit balls with the blue tab), a tug.

I use a prong and a botcher harness. I started with a regular harness and he just dragged me down the track.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hello,

I am very new to the sport myself, having joined a club in March. Tracking is so much fun! We are working towards our BH, but since my 6 y/o is showing amazing progress in tracking, we are shooting for our TR1 as the next goal up.

I came to the evaluation w/ no expectation so he could advise me on what I would need for our training program. I wasn't even sure if the BH was in our cards till after the trainer worked with her and said that it was a definite possibility (based on my level of commitment thereafter) for her to pass it.

Right now, our only equipment is her flat collar, a 6 ft leash, a 20 ft leash and a bait bag. He did recommend me to get an obedience leash, so I am debating on whether to get the 1/2" wide 3' or 5' one from Leerburg.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I started out with an agitation/tracking dual purpose harness, a prong, a fursaver, a 4 ft thin leather obedience leash, and regulation tracking leash. I also had a smaller leather tug toy and a flirt pole.

My collection has grown. A lot. Yours will too once you get into the sport!
YES! I'm new to the sport. My puppy is almost 14 weeks. I've been attending training sessions since January though. Since then, I have purchased so much! Talking with experienced club members helped out a lot! Isen is my first sporting dog and already at 14 weeks, I've spent so much on him lol. I had a small sports car. Well that wasn't practical for the training club, so I traded it in for a SUV. I then needed to get a crate for my vehicle to keep him secure when not on the field. We have SUV training equipment and then equipment that remains at home. He has several harnesses for protection as he grows, fur savors, tracking leads, , 6 ft lead,tons of tug toys made of different materials, flirt pole, not to mention proper training clothes for myself. It is all so worth it. We are having so much fun! He loves going to the club. I can only imagine as he ages what I'll be getting next.

Also my 8 year old son has been training to be a helper....he too loves the sport and picks up things so fast. He's been allowed to work some of the dogs in protection and is doing fantastic! He has no fear : ) So Schutzhund has taken over my family! We wouldn't have it any other way!

Good luck OP and have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION-4.20.14.jpg   What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION-aj-working-blinds.jpg  
At the Bridge....Charlie - GSD (2014) and Shiloh - Lab (2010)
d4lilbitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Hello,

I am very new to the sport myself, having joined a club in March. Tracking is so much fun! We are working towards our BH, but since my 6 y/o is showing amazing progress in tracking, we are shooting for our TR1 as the next goal up.

I came to the evaluation w/ no expectation so he could advise me on what I would need for our training program. I wasn't even sure if the BH was in our cards till after the trainer worked with her and said that it was a definite possibility (based on my level of commitment thereafter) for her to pass it.

Right now, our only equipment is her flat collar, a 6 ft leash, a 20 ft leash and a bait bag. He did recommend me to get an obedience leash, so I am debating on whether to get the 1/2" wide 3' or 5' one from Leerburg.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!
I started training my male at 4yrs. I wouldn't say you've got plenty of time, but you've got enough time do do whatever you want
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

I too, have been wondering what's involved in this sport. It does sound interesting and fun but I have never really had a dog in any serious sports. I've just never considered it. I also don't know anyone who participates either and it would probably be difficult travelling to a training centre since we live so far from the big smoke.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

One important thing is to have the dog secure in the vehicle....crate is a necessity(or bring a crate to put the dog in while at training)Water bucket, treats or tug(ball on string).
You are only on the field a short amount of time, and the dog needs to be secured when you are not working him.

I wouldn't spend money yet on the equipment until you see if your dog has what it takes to do IPO, or if it is something you really want to commit to.

A good flat collar, 6' leather leash is all you need in the beginning. Most people will loan out a harness for a time or two while you are being evaluated.
Best wishes, hope the addiction bites hard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.