German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/450266-what-do-i-need-schutzhund-ipo-moved-section.html)

CharlieB.Barkin 05-14-2014 10:16 PM

What do I need for Schutzhund/IPO? MOVED TO THAT SECTION

I was wanting to get my dog into tracking, but I just learned that Schutzhund includes tracking, obedience and protection; so why not just go with that? It seems fairly intensive, but it seems like a lot of fun. There is a Schutzhund club in my city. What exactly do I need for this? I hard that most people use leather harnesses for bite work. Why is that?

What else will I need?

hunterisgreat 05-14-2014 10:31 PM

Minimum? 6ft leash, agitation collar. Everything else is optional

Wild Wolf 05-14-2014 10:41 PM

I started out with an agitation/tracking dual purpose harness, a prong, a fursaver, a 4 ft thin leather obedience leash, and regulation tracking leash. I also had a smaller leather tug toy and a flirt pole.

My collection has grown. A lot. Yours will too once you get into the sport! ;)

Steve Strom 05-14-2014 10:56 PM

I think what you really need is the right dog, but that said, It might be a good idea for you to meet the club in person before you do anything. See how they feel about testing your dog and just how well you get along with the people.

Remember, its a club. Its not the same as going to someone to pay them for training lessons.

Jax08 05-15-2014 12:00 AM

Talk to the training director of the club. Different trainers use different equipment.

Safe equipment you won't waste your money on is a prong, a 6' leash and a 15' leash. A ball (I like the chuckit balls with the blue tab), a tug.

I use a prong and a botcher harness. I started with a regular harness and he just dragged me down the track.

The Stig 05-15-2014 01:13 AM

Hello,

I am very new to the sport myself, having joined a club in March. :) Tracking is so much fun! We are working towards our BH, but since my 6 y/o is showing amazing progress in tracking, we are shooting for our TR1 as the next goal up.

I came to the evaluation w/ no expectation so he could advise me on what I would need for our training program. I wasn't even sure if the BH was in our cards till after the trainer worked with her and said that it was a definite possibility (based on my level of commitment thereafter) for her to pass it.

Right now, our only equipment is her flat collar, a 6 ft leash, a 20 ft leash and a bait bag. He did recommend me to get an obedience leash, so I am debating on whether to get the 1/2" wide 3' or 5' one from Leerburg.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

d4lilbitz 05-15-2014 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Wolf (Post 5519882)
I started out with an agitation/tracking dual purpose harness, a prong, a fursaver, a 4 ft thin leather obedience leash, and regulation tracking leash. I also had a smaller leather tug toy and a flirt pole.

My collection has grown. A lot. Yours will too once you get into the sport! ;)

YES! I'm new to the sport. My puppy is almost 14 weeks. I've been attending training sessions since January though. Since then, I have purchased so much! Talking with experienced club members helped out a lot! Isen is my first sporting dog and already at 14 weeks, I've spent so much on him lol. I had a small sports car. Well that wasn't practical for the training club, so I traded it in for a SUV. I then needed to get a crate for my vehicle to keep him secure when not on the field. We have SUV training equipment and then equipment that remains at home. He has several harnesses for protection as he grows, fur savors, tracking leads, , 6 ft lead,tons of tug toys made of different materials, flirt pole, not to mention proper training clothes for myself. It is all so worth it. We are having so much fun! He loves going to the club. I can only imagine as he ages what I'll be getting next.

Also my 8 year old son has been training to be a helper....he too loves the sport and picks up things so fast. He's been allowed to work some of the dogs in protection and is doing fantastic! He has no fear : ) So Schutzhund has taken over my family! We wouldn't have it any other way!

Good luck OP and have fun!

hunterisgreat 05-15-2014 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 5520546)
Hello,

I am very new to the sport myself, having joined a club in March. :) Tracking is so much fun! We are working towards our BH, but since my 6 y/o is showing amazing progress in tracking, we are shooting for our TR1 as the next goal up.

I came to the evaluation w/ no expectation so he could advise me on what I would need for our training program. I wasn't even sure if the BH was in our cards till after the trainer worked with her and said that it was a definite possibility (based on my level of commitment thereafter) for her to pass it.

Right now, our only equipment is her flat collar, a 6 ft leash, a 20 ft leash and a bait bag. He did recommend me to get an obedience leash, so I am debating on whether to get the 1/2" wide 3' or 5' one from Leerburg.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey!

I started training my male at 4yrs. I wouldn't say you've got plenty of time, but you've got enough time do do whatever you want

Yoshi 05-15-2014 08:56 AM

I too, have been wondering what's involved in this sport. It does sound interesting and fun but I have never really had a dog in any serious sports. I've just never considered it. :) I also don't know anyone who participates either and it would probably be difficult travelling to a training centre since we live so far from the big smoke.

onyx'girl 05-15-2014 10:13 AM

One important thing is to have the dog secure in the vehicle....crate is a necessity(or bring a crate to put the dog in while at training)Water bucket, treats or tug(ball on string).
You are only on the field a short amount of time, and the dog needs to be secured when you are not working him.

I wouldn't spend money yet on the equipment until you see if your dog has what it takes to do IPO, or if it is something you really want to commit to.

A good flat collar, 6' leather leash is all you need in the beginning. Most people will loan out a harness for a time or two while you are being evaluated.
Best wishes, hope the addiction bites hard!