German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   increase drive during OB?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/449826-increase-drive-during-ob.html)

Liz&Anna 05-13-2014 05:57 PM

increase drive during OB??

3 Attachment(s)
My friend has a 2 year old Czech line male GSD, she got him for the intention of IPO, and they go for her BH next month (which I know he will get) her and I have constant conversation about one thing that frustrates her though, he doesn't have **that** focus you see other GSD's have or that intensity, like that bounce in his step, I know you IPO people know what I mean, the thing that everyone wants!

Her trainers tell her to crate him basically 24/7 unless she's working him- to crate him, that's a bit out of the question as he is her pet, not JUST her working dog, I'm going to class with her tomorrow and ill get some videos so you all can see better.

My trainer tells me, play play play!! With Anna everything is play, but my dog is also 8 months old, so basically I'm looking for some advice for her since there is always lots of it here!

Any one know how to increase focus/intensity with out lots of crate time?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated

Attachment 209282

Attachment 209290

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Bane Vom Vox 05-13-2014 06:13 PM

One of the methods I use, involves having the dog at a Foos. Then throwing their favorite toy/tug down the field. You then practice some OB and give the reward command (they fly to the toy) then when they return play tug with them and make a big deal about it.

My dog gets so drivey (not sure if that's even a word) as though he is doing protection work. He's on edge waiting to get rewarded.

onyx'girl 05-13-2014 06:21 PM

Tease him up with a ball, he misses, tuck that ball under the armpit and command fuss. A few steps of fussing, reward/tug/lift to out and repeat.
Czech dogs tend to be a bit suspicious, very aware of the surroundings and not real high in prey drive(I know, generalizing here!) so getting that engagement and focus takes some work.
I know if I gave my dog less freedom, more crate time, he'd probably be a different dog on the field, but I don't want to do the deprivation stuff either...would rather engage him and bring up the ethusiasm to work on my own.

lhczth 05-13-2014 06:28 PM

I would really need to see what she is doing. Most of the time, except in the case with dogs that lack a desire to work with their handler, the dogs get bored and lose drive because the handler/training is boring. Does your friend use a lure so the dog is working for the reward or do they pop out the toy, give food/praise, at random times (I tend to use it for best effort or if I know the dog can go flat in a certain sport) so the dog is working to earn the reward? There is a huge difference. Too many trainers do the former (which is why crazy toy driven dogs are favored in OB) instead of the latter. If done right a dog should build drive and get pushier throughout the routine.

I would crate the dog before training and afterwards. Otherwise, no, I do not believe in creating drive through deprivation. There are better ways to achieve things. :)

lhczth 05-13-2014 06:30 PM

BTW, what Bane suggests can work very well for some toy driven dogs.

Liz&Anna 05-13-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bane Vom Vox (Post 5513930)
One of the methods I use, involves having the dog at a Foos. Then throwing their favorite toy/tug down the field. You then practice some OB and give the reward command (they fly to the toy) then when they return play tug with them and make a big deal about it.

My dog gets so drivey (not sure if that's even a word) as though he is doing protection work. He's on edge waiting to get rewarded.

He does work much better for a tug, her original trainer wanted to to use only food (????) and got really mad when she found out charline was working des for a tug. But he seemed to have a bit more fun, from what I've seen when he works he looks submissive, he will keep his ears flat back, my dog is very alert ears up, could this have anything to do with it? She never corrects him harshly, or handles him to rough and he is a beast in protection. Could he be in a submissive state while he's working and that is effecting his drive?

Liz&Anna 05-13-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5513962)
Tease him up with a ball, he misses, tuck that ball under the armpit and command fuss. A few steps of fussing, reward/tug/lift to out and repeat.
Czech dogs tend to be a bit suspicious, very aware of the surroundings and not real high in prey drive(I know, generalizing here!) so getting that engagement and focus takes some work.
I know if I gave my dog less freedom, more crate time, he'd probably be a different dog on the field, but I don't want to do the deprivation stuff either...would rather engage him and bring up the ethusiasm to work on my own.

I don't think he is as ball driven he doesn't get as excited as my dog. We tried holding him back from the ball and getting him excited and if did work for a second or to but it wasn't long lasting, if she works him this way every day from now on would his drive build more and more or would he always need that firing up before hand?

bill 05-13-2014 06:37 PM

Give him a coupl 1;e of days off " dont play with him just let him be a dog' then ask him if he wants to work in a
Excited tone keep the heeling short at first' quit on a good note ' then play play play do it every time. He will want to work so he can play after. Works for me to get the happy attention! Good luck! Bill

Liz&Anna 05-13-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5513994)
I would really need to see what she is doing. Most of the time, except in the case with dogs that lack a desire to work with their handler, the dogs get bored and lose drive because the handler/training is boring. Does your friend use a lure so the dog is working for the reward or do they pop out the toy, give food/praise, at random times (I tend to use it for best effort or if I know the dog can go flat in a certain sport) so the dog is working to earn the reward? There is a huge difference. Too many trainers do the former (which is why crazy toy driven dogs are favored in OB) instead of the latter. If done right a dog should build drive and get pushier throughout the routine.

I would crate the dog before training and afterwards. Otherwise, no, I do not believe in creating drive through deprivation. There are better ways to achieve things. :)

She will ask for fuss walk a bit and I will spot- the SECOND he lifts his front legs a bit higher (looking happy) she will pull the tug out and reward right away. WE were going to try switching for a bit and having me handle him to see if he looks better with me, but haven't tried that yet. I just couldn't believe how mad her trainer got when she found out we used a tug, they basically had a big argument about it! All I've ever heard from my trainer was to play so I thought it would help, her argument was "you aren't going to have to toy on trial day" and my friend replied with....I won't have treats on trial day either (LOL)

Liz&Anna 05-13-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill (Post 5514050)
Give him a coupl 1;e of days off " dont play with him just let him be a dog' then ask him if he wants to work in a
Excited tone keep the heeling short at first' quit on a good note ' then play play play do it every time. He will want to work so he can play after. Works for me to get the happy attention! Good luck! Bill

I'll suggest this also!! People told me the same thing, not to work my dog every day.