German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Definition of a Sporty Dog (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/449178-definition-sporty-dog.html)

The Stig 05-12-2014 02:07 AM

Definition of a Sporty Dog

Hi All,

First off, I am not sure where to post this question so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I have been reading several threads, including the one re: Which Drago breeding to pick, and I keep seeing discussions about the sportiness of dogs.

I am unsure what exactly the definition means in regards to this context. My own interpretation is, a dog would have to be sporty to be in this sport and these dogs already are. So I am confused.

Thanks!

Steve Strom 05-12-2014 10:58 AM

I don't know anything about Drago or any of his breedings, but I can tell you why I would describe my dogs as sporty. For me its the way they're motivated to train with toys and play. The way they can have that upbeat, happy obedience from it.

You could look at differences in protection work too, but that can be tough to decipher online.

lhczth 05-12-2014 01:50 PM

I think you will get many definitions. Even how I would describe the term would need a definition or at least a common understanding of what I mean.

For me a sporty GSD is a dog that lacks balance as a GSD and is more like a Malinois. Crazy drive, reactive, non thinking, easy for helpers to work and handlers to make flashy pretty obedience. The type that would launch off of a cliff after a ball.

onyx'girl 05-12-2014 04:10 PM

I agree with Lisa's description. Adding a bit of my opinion too! Lower threshold and not as serious when it comes to aggression(of course the dog may put on a great display of teeth baring) but really loving the fighting part of the protection phase isn't as fun as winning the sleeve to prance it around.

Steve Strom 05-12-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5508321)
I think you will get many definitions. Even how I would describe the term would need a definition or at least a common understanding of what I mean.

For me a sporty GSD is a dog that lacks balance as a GSD and is more like a Malinois. Crazy drive, reactive, non thinking, easy for helpers to work and handlers to make flashy pretty obedience. The type that would launch off of a cliff after a ball.

Looking at your dog Deja's obedience, I would say sporty and I mean it as a compliment. In your description you say "
A strong desire to please, very good ball and food drive for ease of training, and excellent athleticism."
That's along the lines of what I mean. Very clearly a dog that doesn't have to be drug around in ob. Terminology is always fun, Lol.

GatorDog 05-12-2014 07:10 PM

I don't think I've been involved long enough to really develop an opinion on this, but I would like to add that I have recently been hearing a lot of people refer to dogs without nice obedience as "real" dogs and that are not "sporty", and I think that its stupid. I think a dog can be balanced and also have happy, willing obedience. Just because a dog has happy obedience and crazy drive does not mean that they will run off a cliff after a ball. To me, it just sounds like excuses.

onyx'girl 05-12-2014 07:12 PM

Please don't test that theory!

GatorDog 05-12-2014 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5509810)
Please don't test that theory!

LOL. You can test it at dock diving! A four or five foot drop into water with a psycho ball drive dog and nope..She won't go. And she can, in fact, swim like a fish. But jumping into an abyss for a ball..No way. She's too smart for that.

Steve Strom 05-12-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDog (Post 5509786)
I don't think I've been involved long enough to really develop an opinion on this, but I would like to add that I have recently been hearing a lot of people refer to dogs without nice obedience as "real" dogs and that are not "sporty", and I think that its stupid. I think a dog can be balanced and also have happy, willing obedience. Just because a dog has happy obedience and crazy drive does not mean that they will run off a cliff after a ball. To me, it just sounds like excuses.

Watching your videos, I would call your dog sporty. AND, I would be very happy with her.

GatorDog 05-12-2014 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Strom (Post 5509850)
Watching your videos, I would call your dog sporty. AND, I would be very happy with her.

I think she is good for sport as well and I am very very happy with her. Thank you :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App