Heel and down in motion - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 12:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba405 View Post
I'd hold the ball cupped in your left hand then reward by holding the ball right above her head and letting her jump straight up to bite. Then tug. Then if you want you can fetch out of that. If you're going to throw I'd throw to the side. Throwing forward has no benefit especially when the main problem with attention heeling is the forging. I also sometimes hold in my right hand and reward behind me. Keeps the dog from forging if the reward is never going forward.

Imo the more the dog looks towards your left side the better. Even if you teach to look you in the eyes, during a routine you are looking straight forward and some dogs can wrap around a little to try to look you in the eyes. Imo the left arm pit is the perfect spot for the dog to look.
Heel and down in motion-imageuploadedbypg-free1399261784.602042.jpg

Normally looks a bit like this

Heel and down in motion-imageuploadedbypg-free1399261823.745357.jpg

Heel and down in motion-imageuploadedbypg-free1399261849.022200.jpg

I have not ever tried rewarding from behind though that's a really good idea, ill try that, she was really terrible at forging when she was a little younger that was my biggest problem, not to much now, she will just check her footing and I lightly correct when she does so, I've been trying really hard to reward her before she looks down-every time. she also isn't a big tugger with the ball, just isn't crazy about tugging it (she's fantastic in bite work though I have a few videos posted in this same section of her work from Saturday if you want to see)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2014, 01:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by szariksdad View Post
There are 2 things I would try on the heel. First when you call her to heel since she is only 8 months i would step back with my left leg and get her to follow it around and forward to the correct position sorts of open your left side of your body and draw her in to correct position. I would also reward by having the toy on the left other she will do the forging that she is doing now that you say she is doing. Also for the down I would call her to you or reward by going back and standing by her side. Not just always throw the ball and have her run for it. Throwing all the time unless you have freed her from the command can lead to problems later.
got ya, I normally say "ok" to free her, I'm not sure if you can hear me in the video same in her heel- that second where she leaps forward because she knows the ball is coming- I released her then threw the ball. now honestly if she forges or crowds me (allot of the time she will walk SO CLOSE that she is literally touching me and her front paws are getting stepped on as I walk) I sorta push her out of my way, what would you do? I've been told not to pull her over with the leash, and I've had some people say to knee her??

Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Like if you look at that pic in the middle you can see how close she is, is this desirable? I'm not even totally sure if its correct, can a judge tell that she is against me? Would that make me lose points?

Old 05-05-2014, 01:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

Left turns. Lots of left turns. Get her engaging her back end. My boy also tends to forge a bit. I did lots of left turns, forced him back a bit, then the second he was straight, reward.

Do you ever just work on the position. No actual forward movement? Have her heel, then you turn 90 degrees and she has to rotate her back end to stay in position. I found this really helped my boy understand that heeling is not moving forward, heeling is the position( his shoulder at my knee) no matter what I may be doing, moving forward, backward, running, walking slow....

She looks really good. You are doing nice work with her.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

If you guys are stepping on each others feet it's because she is always anticipating the reward coming from your right hand so of course she wants to get as close as possible. Throw the ball out to her left and that will solve the stepping on each other problem.

I had the same problem with my boy standing on my foot. But I'd rather a dog be leaning on me rather than a dog that isn't making contact. Imo it's just easier to fix.
simba405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 01:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Left turns. Lots of left turns. Get her engaging her back end. My boy also tends to forge a bit. I did lots of left turns, forced him back a bit, then the second he was straight, reward.

Do you ever just work on the position. No actual forward movement? Have her heel, then you turn 90 degrees and she has to rotate her back end to stay in position. I found this really helped my boy understand that heeling is not moving forward, heeling is the position( his shoulder at my knee) no matter what I may be doing, moving forward, backward, running, walking slow....

She looks really good. You are doing nice work with her.

Yes! I'm currently doing that now, I'm finding left turns to be a very slow process, lol very slow >_< I've been working her left turns with basically no forward movement, I will start with her in fuss position and ask for a sir (which basically means stay) and I keep my left foot at her right paw and kinda step to the front of her and ask for fuss, so she is slowly learning to bring her rear in

This stuff is NOT easy!!

Thank you btw for saying she looks good

Old 05-05-2014, 01:26 AM   #17 (permalink)

When starting the left turns, over exaggerate your shoulder movement. Deliberately turn the front if your body into her. This may help push her back a bit since it changes the picture. Reward for any independent movement of the hind end in the beginning.

I know she likes to chase the ball, but maybe try using a tug for a bit. If she likes to tug in bitework, maybe that will transfer to smaller tug. And you can then keep her closer to you instead of all the down time of the long chase if the ball. Will help you have quicker more productive time while training, then use the ball as the final "release!"

I am pretty new to SchH as well, so I know how hard it is!!! Sport obedience is a whole different world!!!! Keep at it! You have a nice dog!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
When starting the left turns, over exaggerate your shoulder movement. Deliberately turn the front if your body into her. This may help push her back a bit since it changes the picture. Reward for any independent movement of the hind end in the beginning.

I know she likes to chase the ball, but maybe try using a tug for a bit. If she likes to tug in bitework, maybe that will transfer to smaller tug. And you can then keep her closer to you instead of all the down time of the long chase if the ball. Will help you have quicker more productive time while training, then use the ball as the final "release!"

I am pretty new to SchH as well, so I know how hard it is!!! Sport obedience is a whole different world!!!! Keep at it! You have a nice dog!

Thank you!! Ill let you know how it goes haha

Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think the little bit of heeling you have looks really nice..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, Bh, CGC (HOT)... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not reward the down with the dog moving forward, I'd have gone back to the dog and rewarded the position(so breaking doesn't become a habit)
With the heeling, I'd also reward in the heel position, tossing the ball takes alot of time and I'd rather do a bit of tug/out and go right back into the heeling while the dog is in drive and not in fetch mode. We usually have the ball tucked in the left armpit(dog can't see it, but knows it is there) and drop it when the dog is doing right, then grab the string and tug, out the dog , back to fuss.
I want the dog to stay in the moment of what we are working on.
Your pup has a ton of enthusiasm and you are coming along really well!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 05-05-2014 at 09:40 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.