German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Can I train my dog in Shutzhund or send her away to a training facility? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/433737-can-i-train-my-dog-shutzhund-send-her-away-training-facility.html)

Athena'sMom 04-04-2014 02:51 PM

Can I train my dog in Shutzhund or send her away to a training facility?

I am interested in getting into schutzhund but I have no idea where to start!!!
Will Schutzhund clubs except a member with no prior experience in schutzhund training? I would love to Start Athena on BH training and I found a facility that will title her in BH but I rather be her trainer/handler as I want the bonding experience. I rather not send her away if I don't have to!
So can Schutzhund experts let me know if a newbie can join a schutzhund club?
I feel intimidated by schutzhund, even though I have done basic obedience my whole life I am probably doing everything wrong for Schutzhund. Any advice on how to get my girl started would be AWESOME!:help:

MaggieRoseLee 04-04-2014 02:54 PM

My understanding is that everyone starts knowing next to nothing, and join the club to get it all started!

So find a club(s) in your area, see if you can just go watch a time or two (and HELP!!!!) then join and have a blast :)

Good luck.

martemchik 04-04-2014 02:57 PM

Step one is to find a Schutzhund club near by that has a training schedule that works with your schedule.

Step two is to get your dog tested and see if she has the nerve/drive for the sport.

Step three is to listen to your TD and helper, do what they tell you, and learn.

Sending your dog away won't teach you anything about the sport or how to train for it. It won't teach you anything about your dog, it won't teach you anything about looking for a good Schutzhund prospect. It will also probably cost you an arm and a leg and you'll be able to tell your friends and family your dog has a title that neither you nor them know what it means.

Athena'sMom 04-04-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martemchik (Post 5324865)
Step one is to find a Schutzhund club near by that has a training schedule that works with your schedule.

Step two is to get your dog tested and see if she has the nerve/drive for the sport.

Step three is to listen to your TD and helper, do what they tell you, and learn.

Sending your dog away won't teach you anything about the sport or how to train for it. It won't teach you anything about your dog, it won't teach you anything about looking for a good Schutzhund prospect. It will also probably cost you an arm and a leg and you'll be able to tell your friends and family your dog has a title that neither you nor them know what it means.

You're 100% right! I never thought of it like that! Thanks for the advice!!

lhczth 04-04-2014 03:40 PM

Where are you located in IN?

United Schutzhund Clubs of America ? Region/Events

Athena'sMom 04-04-2014 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhczth (Post 5325121)

I am located in Noblesville, right outside Indianapolis.

Athena'sMom 04-04-2014 04:39 PM

I emailed O.G. Indianapolis Schutzhund and Polizei for more information today.

GSDAlphaMom 04-04-2014 05:15 PM

Mike Diehl is in Indy. I have a friend that use to train with him.

Diehl's K9 Training LLC

lhczth 04-05-2014 11:28 AM

I am a member of O.G. Indy. :) Good club.

O.G. Landshark is also in Indy. O.G. Landshark

burdock87 04-06-2014 12:27 PM

It's crazy how much trainers want to teach your dog basic things. One guy I emailed wants almost $2,000 for a puppy obedience! I can go to my local trainer and teach my pup to sit, stay, etc and it's less than a hundred or so. And then to train them for Schutzhund, another trainer wants almost $8,000! Seriously, why ask so much to train a dog? I can BUY a fully trained protection/Schutzhund dog for that kind of cash. Heck, I could buy a whole kennel of Schutzhund prospects for that! I don't get it.