Carma IPO Protection video, 3/21/14 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,812
Default Carma IPO Protection video, 3/21/14

Making closer steps towards the routine. Focusing on good, active aggression in the guarding (vs her squeaky prey park), secondary obedience, and targeting on the long bites.

https://vimeo.com/89934192
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH, CD
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Packen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,249
Default

Very nice, I see high in trial coming up soon for her 1! How's her tracking?
__________________
Gnash von den Sportwaffen IPO3x2, AD, HOT
Brimwylf Creasy BH, HOT
http://youtu.be/8ZvQpRj-6tA
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
Very nice, I see high in trial coming up soon for her 1! How's her tracking?
Thank you! Her tracking is good, we just need more experience at this point. We are rusty from having so much snow, but got back to it this weekend for the first time and got 3 solid days in for the first time since late November. I did get some video that I am working on putting together. Calling for snow again tomorrow of course
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH, CD
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gettysburg,PA
Posts: 838
Default

Very nice work. I am sure that you will do well with her.
__________________


Art
Kennel von der Zahnburg
Zahnburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnburg View Post
Very nice work. I am sure that you will do well with her.
Thank you!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH, CD
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
ayoitzrimz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 993
Default

Awesome work, another great video
__________________
Kept by Einstein IPO3 CGC TT (HOT)
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,635
Default

Very nice. I'm not the kinda person that gets any use from people just viewing my video and telling me how nice it is, I personally want constructive discussion about it... sooo I'm assuming you want the same...

Some questions (Just questions, nothing implied... Curiosity is my motivation).
  1. In the first minute (I paused to comment), noticed she's setting up stick side and doing a little hunting for the stick (or maybe you've used a ball behind the helpers back or something) before she goes to focused on the helper.
  2. At 1:09, why did the helper mark her moving more to the stick side? It appeared to be a reaction from you walking up to her. What was the motivation for marking that?
  3. Is that a solar panel array in the background? Just curious if you're club is "green"
  4. At ~2:25... the down at the corner of the blind and then call out... I assume that was done that way so you're not screwing with her guarding? If thats how you train the call out, why do you think she turns when you come behind the blind? I'm wondering if you weren't constantly calling her out/picking her up from the guarding why she turns
  5. At ~2:35 she appeared perfectly straight (from the camera angle anyway), why did the helper move her to favor the stick side? Or was she on the sleeve side and that was moved to centered and the camera just makes it hard to see?

Very nice though, prettier OB than mine :-). If you really want to up the aggression, I'd do much much shorter, more intense sessions... one or two bites at most and done. And outside the blind. If you are working higher aggression and doing so much work in one session its counter productive
__________________
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper/Training Director
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Very nice. I'm not the kinda person that gets any use from people just viewing my video and telling me how nice it is, I personally want constructive discussion about it... sooo I'm assuming you want the same...


Some questions (Just questions, nothing implied... Curiosity is my motivation).
  1. In the first minute (I paused to comment), noticed she's setting up stick side and doing a little hunting for the stick (or maybe you've used a ball behind the helpers back or something) before she goes to focused on the helper.
  2. At 1:09, why did the helper mark her moving more to the stick side? It appeared to be a reaction from you walking up to her. What was the motivation for marking that?
  3. Is that a solar panel array in the background? Just curious if you're club is "green"
  4. At ~2:25... the down at the corner of the blind and then call out... I assume that was done that way so you're not screwing with her guarding? If thats how you train the call out, why do you think she turns when you come behind the blind? I'm wondering if you weren't constantly calling her out/picking her up from the guarding why she turns
  5. At ~2:35 she appeared perfectly straight (from the camera angle anyway), why did the helper move her to favor the stick side? Or was she on the sleeve side and that was moved to centered and the camera just makes it hard to see?

Very nice though, prettier OB than mine :-). If you really want to up the aggression, I'd do much much shorter, more intense sessions... one or two bites at most and done. And outside the blind. If you are working higher aggression and doing so much work in one session its counter productive
Answers to 1,2 and 5:
My personal preference is to set her up stick side. She has a whole lot of prey, and produces a much stronger guard when we push her stick side, rather that sleeve side. It really isn't any points off (to my understanding) whether they guard dead center, sleeve side or stick side, but I know I will have the stronger guarding if she is focused more stick side. It's ok if she eyeballs the stick a bit at this point in her training because that is what is keeping her aggression going, and I would much rather have that than have her barking at the sleeve

3. It is a field of solar panels, property of the field we rent. I don't know if we are "green", but they apparently are

4. I start the call out from the corner in earlier training, but I'm not sure what you mean by her turning when I come behind the blind? We have done a handful of corner call outs before, but this was her first actual call out of the blind during guarding. I didn't notice any anticipation from her, but maybe you saw something that I missed.

I do appreciate any criticism. This is the first dog I am hoping to actually do more than just title and really want to compete with, so I welcome anything seen by others. Its why I take the videos
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH, CD
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
Answers to 1,2 and 5:
My personal preference is to set her up stick side. She has a whole lot of prey, and produces a much stronger guard when we push her stick side, rather that sleeve side. It really isn't any points off (to my understanding) whether they guard dead center, sleeve side or stick side, but I know I will have the stronger guarding if she is focused more stick side. It's ok if she eyeballs the stick a bit at this point in her training because that is what is keeping her aggression going, and I would much rather have that than have her barking at the sleeve

3. It is a field of solar panels, property of the field we rent. I don't know if we are "green", but they apparently are

4. I start the call out from the corner in earlier training, but I'm not sure what you mean by her turning when I come behind the blind? We have done a handful of corner call outs before, but this was her first actual call out of the blind during guarding. I didn't notice any anticipation from her, but maybe you saw something that I missed.

I do appreciate any criticism. This is the first dog I am hoping to actually do more than just title and really want to compete with, so I welcome anything seen by others. Its why I take the videos
In my experience, once you really turn on the aggression it will not go away where ever you set her up... so in that case rather than make her set up stick side to get the aggression, I'd get the aggression outside of the blind, and then bring it into the B&H in the blind later but keep her straight.

If you watch the video, whenever you walk up closely or walk behind her she begins shifting to the stick more... either to keep an eye on you to prepare for a call out, or something else. But she seemed to consistently do it in that video when I watched it (can't rewatch at the moment). Its not that one thing will cost points now, but anything you don't watch closely tends to snowball until it *does* become an issue... just something to be aware of and manage.

I'd also be very cautious with using the stick to get aggression as the stick in the escape, side transport, and courage test could become a problem.
__________________
Hunter, USA trial helper, Charleston Working Dog Club Training Helper/Training Director
Beschützer des Jägers v. Sportwaffen, HOT, IPO1, AD, CGC
Katya v. Hügelblick, HOT, IPO2, CGC
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
lesslis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 149
Send a message via Yahoo to lesslis
Default

Fantastic. Not even close to be able to offer constructive criticism so for selfish, want to learn, reasons, is ecollar tool of choice? You handle it well. Love all the verbal praise!
__________________
GSD Penni-7
GSD Tebow-3.5

GSD Bailey 13 yrs 7-2-2009
lesslis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:57 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com