Bane at 6.3 months old training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bane at 6.3 months old training

This was rather informal. I had my 2 year old trying to dart to the street several times....But it's a 15 minute video working on several different things...Yes, I'm still dropping treats.....working that issue....going to the club tomorrow. Critique please.

Bane 6 months old. Early SchH training. Working on focus/eye contact. 2 yr old son with me. Distr - YouTube
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 09:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice puppy. Why the heeling between your legs? You are doing IPO? Just curious as to the point if this.

His focus is nice, when you don't drop the treats. I like the use of the place board.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL Boy! Nice focus, from what I saw. I didn't watch the whole clip though.
Jakesworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Nice puppy. Why the heeling between your legs? You are doing IPO? Just curious as to the point if this.

His focus is nice, when you don't drop the treats. I like the use of the place board.

The between the legs is just something I added. Not required.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post

Dropping treats is going to be the death of me. I'm putting too many treats in my hand and using it as a treat dispenser....Probably best I stick to one treat or however many I plan on giving him for the reward......
Old 03-30-2014, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm doing the same with my 6 month old. Have you done any flirt pole work or getting him to bark yet? I'm just starting the barking while he's being held back have gotton one bark lol.

mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogs View Post
I'm doing the same with my 6 month old. Have you done any flirt pole work or getting him to bark yet? I'm just starting the barking while he's being held back have gotton one bark lol.

One thing about Bane...He is VERY vocal. Tease him enough, he will start barking..He will come around...Just keep working at it.

.Went to the club today...Bane was def having an off day on obedience. Wasn't focusing well, distracted....So we just had a play session on the field....When his turn came for bitework, he was very vocal, catching well....His grip was a little off, but much better by the end of the session. He ended with a great catch and a nice full grip...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

That's great my club is really good but I feel we need to move into something new in training. I do most of it at home and never knew there's ways to bring out his bark now I know. So will be working on that next. Your pup is adorable

Old 03-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydogs View Post
That's great my club is really good but I feel we need to move into something new in training. I do most of it at home and never knew there's ways to bring out his bark now I know. So will be working on that next. Your pup is adorable

You can tease him with treats, ball on rope, or flirt pole...Some dogs take a little longer to get vocal... It will come. I've been doing a lot of the stuff at home.....I've made it to the club 3 out of 4 weeks....I won't be able to make it for a few weeks....2 hour drive also....One thing I have to work on, making it more fun...Fun for me and him......Letting him be a puppy....I will get formal with the obedience when he gets around a year old. I'm keeping everything positive. I've made many mistakes and I'm sure many more will come....Everyone is a new handler starting off...I'm still new....

It's hard going to the club and seeing all these older dogs work......As a new handler, we think, "I want that" and try rushing things...I've had to stop myself several times. It will come...Takes a lot of patience....Which I struggle with...I'm getting better.....

My goal, to keep building his confidence and building more focus. Short sessions....Something like that....haha
Old 03-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
You can tease him with treats, ball on rope, or flirt pole...Some dogs take a little longer to get vocal... It will come. I've been doing a lot of the stuff at home.....I've made it to the club 3 out of 4 weeks....I won't be able to make it for a few weeks....2 hour drive also....One thing I have to work on, making it more fun...Fun for me and him......Letting him be a puppy....I will get formal with the obedience when he gets around a year old. I'm keeping everything positive. I've made many mistakes and I'm sure many more will come....Everyone is a new handler starting off...I'm still new....

It's hard going to the club and seeing all these older dogs work......As a new handler, we think, "I want that" and try rushing things...I've had to stop myself several times. It will come...Takes a lot of patience....Which I struggle with...I'm getting better.....

My goal, to keep building his confidence and building more focus. Short sessions....Something like that....haha

You are absolutely right in everything you said. It's hard thinking so far ahead when you see the older dogs. It's overwhelming. I do about 4-5 short sessions a day and always end it fun for him. I just teased him with his squeaky ball now I have a headache but I did get a few barks lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.