German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Bane at 6.3 months old training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/428146-bane-6-3-months-old-training.html)

Jmoore728 03-23-2014 12:09 AM

Bane at 6.3 months old training
 
This was rather informal. I had my 2 year old trying to dart to the street several times....But it's a 15 minute video working on several different things...Yes, I'm still dropping treats.....working that issue....going to the club tomorrow. Critique please.

Bane 6 months old. Early SchH training. Working on focus/eye contact. 2 yr old son with me. Distr - YouTube

gsdsar 03-23-2014 09:54 AM

Nice puppy. Why the heeling between your legs? You are doing IPO? Just curious as to the point if this.

His focus is nice, when you don't drop the treats. I like the use of the place board.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jakesworld 03-23-2014 10:32 AM

Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL Boy! Nice focus, from what I saw. I didn't watch the whole clip though.

Jmoore728 03-23-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5251938)
Nice puppy. Why the heeling between your legs? You are doing IPO? Just curious as to the point if this.

His focus is nice, when you don't drop the treats. I like the use of the place board.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

The between the legs is just something I added. Not required.

Jmoore728 03-23-2014 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5251938)
Nice puppy. Why the heeling between your legs? You are doing IPO? Just curious as to the point if this.

His focus is nice, when you don't drop the treats. I like the use of the place board.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Dropping treats is going to be the death of me. I'm putting too many treats in my hand and using it as a treat dispenser....Probably best I stick to one treat or however many I plan on giving him for the reward......

mydogs 03-30-2014 07:51 PM

I'm doing the same with my 6 month old. Have you done any flirt pole work or getting him to bark yet? I'm just starting the barking while he's being held back have gotton one bark lol.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jmoore728 03-30-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5297681)
I'm doing the same with my 6 month old. Have you done any flirt pole work or getting him to bark yet? I'm just starting the barking while he's being held back have gotton one bark lol.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

One thing about Bane...He is VERY vocal. Tease him enough, he will start barking..He will come around...Just keep working at it.

.Went to the club today...Bane was def having an off day on obedience. Wasn't focusing well, distracted....So we just had a play session on the field....When his turn came for bitework, he was very vocal, catching well....His grip was a little off, but much better by the end of the session. He ended with a great catch and a nice full grip...

mydogs 03-30-2014 08:04 PM

That's great:) my club is really good but I feel we need to move into something new in training. I do most of it at home and never knew there's ways to bring out his bark now I know. So will be working on that next. Your pup is adorable :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jmoore728 03-30-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mydogs (Post 5297737)
That's great:) my club is really good but I feel we need to move into something new in training. I do most of it at home and never knew there's ways to bring out his bark now I know. So will be working on that next. Your pup is adorable :)


Sent from Petguide.com Free App

You can tease him with treats, ball on rope, or flirt pole...Some dogs take a little longer to get vocal... It will come. I've been doing a lot of the stuff at home.....I've made it to the club 3 out of 4 weeks....I won't be able to make it for a few weeks....2 hour drive also....One thing I have to work on, making it more fun...Fun for me and him......Letting him be a puppy....I will get formal with the obedience when he gets around a year old. I'm keeping everything positive. I've made many mistakes and I'm sure many more will come....Everyone is a new handler starting off...I'm still new....

It's hard going to the club and seeing all these older dogs work......As a new handler, we think, "I want that" and try rushing things...I've had to stop myself several times. It will come...Takes a lot of patience....Which I struggle with...I'm getting better.....

My goal, to keep building his confidence and building more focus. Short sessions....Something like that....haha

mydogs 03-30-2014 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmoore728 (Post 5297825)
You can tease him with treats, ball on rope, or flirt pole...Some dogs take a little longer to get vocal... It will come. I've been doing a lot of the stuff at home.....I've made it to the club 3 out of 4 weeks....I won't be able to make it for a few weeks....2 hour drive also....One thing I have to work on, making it more fun...Fun for me and him......Letting him be a puppy....I will get formal with the obedience when he gets around a year old. I'm keeping everything positive. I've made many mistakes and I'm sure many more will come....Everyone is a new handler starting off...I'm still new....



It's hard going to the club and seeing all these older dogs work......As a new handler, we think, "I want that" and try rushing things...I've had to stop myself several times. It will come...Takes a lot of patience....Which I struggle with...I'm getting better.....



My goal, to keep building his confidence and building more focus. Short sessions....Something like that....haha


You are absolutely right in everything you said. It's hard thinking so far ahead when you see the older dogs. It's overwhelming. I do about 4-5 short sessions a day and always end it fun for him. I just teased him with his squeaky ball now I have a headache but I did get a few barks lol.


Sent from Petguide.com Free App


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2