Play biting question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Play biting question

Quick question..

As most of you know by now....Bane is a little of 6 months old...Training for SchH....

During training sessions, I will "break" and me and Bane will run around rough housing....My arms and the back of my legs are pretty bruised from his teeth....lol....We will play around for a short while, then I'll get him focused right back to obedience.

We will run around, I'll give him a slight push off, and continue running...Usually he ends up with my arm...Not much pressure, the pinching is what's bruising me...When he nips me with the end of his teeth...

I'm not causing a future bad habit by this type of play am I? I consider it periods of fun/rough play during obedience.
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, I would not play this way. It is unstructured and is causing him to be Undisciplined in his biting and getting rewarded for it. You can accomplish the same thing by playing tug, two hose, or fetch. With lots of praise and high pitched reward.

But that just me. Someone with more SchH experience hopefully will chime in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
Personally, I would not play this way. It is unstructured and is causing him to be Undisciplined in his biting and getting rewarded for it. You can accomplish the same thing by playing tug, two hose, or fetch. With lots of praise and high pitched reward.

But that just me. Someone with more SchH experience hopefully will chime in.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you...Makes sense....I haven't been playing this game long, so I can get it stopped if needed....I was using a tug or fetch before. Habits I want to keep to a minimum...I know there will be some along the way created by me....
I'm still a work in progress for "thinking like a dog". Haha
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

I don't mind rough housing with the dog. I think it's great bonding as well as teaching good bite inhibition and impulse control etc. But I wouldn't do it in a middle of a training session. That can confuse the dog. I also don't do it often. I'd rather use a helper and save my arm from bruises.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't do it. I don't think it will ruin your dog or anything or interfere with bitework (dog should know the difference) but personally I don't like dogs' teeth on me. There are plenty of toys and other ways to channel the interaction without me ending up like a pin cushion.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've never had the desire to rough house with any of my dogs.. Maybe because I'm female.. "I" think it "can" put you on a different playing level with the dog..

Sure, I'll push my dogs away from me while training and excite them with my voice.. They'll jump on me and push me for the toy I have.. But I do not want them putting their mouth on me or wanting/allowing them to bite at me..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Interesting thread. I torment my dog every day. BUT he doesn't nip at me . He will hold my hand but thats it. He will bite a little if ya have your hand under a blanket an move it around.. He watches the expression on your face if he is biting to hard. That's blanket monster time for him. He goes crazy. After we are done ya tell him "enuff" and he stops. I pull on his tail, ears, extra skin under his neck, feet, nose and his tongue.. I stick my hand in his bowl while he is eating. If he has a bone I will just take it out of his mouth to "play" with him. He just looks at ya . Reason why I do this is in case kids start playing with him. Hunter is at a farm, winter house and a lake house. Did I say kids always around ?? He is gentle as can be. Could care less what ya take away from him. Oh Hunter just turned 4 a2 months ago. God I love these dogs !!! Have had them since the mid 60's.

His favorite "look".. He thinks hes tuff !!
Lucky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

His teeth are gorgeous! What do you feed him LuckyDog?
I agree with the others that the rough play should be structured to a toy, not you if the dog wants to bite while playing.
Targeting the sleeve for the bite in IPO is done early on, better to train with that in mind so the dog doesn't think dirty biting the helper is acceptable.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

I think some on here don't rough house with their dogs and they don't do it because of what they THINK will happen and aren't really speaking from experience.

My dog doesn't treat me like a chew toy and he never initiates play. He also doesn't go around biting family members or strangers to try to play. It's only me. Also his bite is still deep and full on a sleeve. He will thrash and pull on a sleeve but not with my arm. The dog isn't stupid. Has anyone ever had rough housing effect bite work? I'm talking about real experience and not just hypotheticals behind a computer screen?
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No, some of us just choose not too.. Nor do we see a need!

Really, since this is in the schh thread- I don't know anyone that I've ever trained with or clubs that I've been to and associated with who rough house and let their dogs bite on them, they choose to channel the dogs energy in other ways..

I'm sure there are people in the sport that do.. I've just not met one yet..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..

Last edited by G-burg; 03-22-2014 at 07:44 PM.
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.