German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Top Schutzhund traineers in the country (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/425434-top-schutzhund-traineers-country.html)

moorebaseball 03-16-2014 10:53 PM

Top Schutzhund traineers in the country

I am looking for the best Schutzhund trainers in the country to help me train my boy. I am looking at competing on a regional and hopefully a National level, and I am looking for a trainer that can help get me there. I live in Salt Lake City, Utah, but distance is an issue. However, if anyone knows of any great trainers closer to me, that would be great. Thank you for your input :)

middleofnowhere 03-16-2014 11:03 PM

If you want to compete in DVG, you need to belong to a club. The DVG America website lists clubs in the different regions. Find a club near you and visit with them. Many clubs sponsor seminars by different trainers and at the club I started with there were many opinions about different trainers. Talk to people at the club about trainers they like, why they like them, what methods the trainers use etc. Then choose one....

Blitzkrieg1 03-16-2014 11:57 PM

Remember top trainer doesnt = top competitor. Many top competitors only own and train a certain type of dog. They buy the dogs green and even then go through a bunch of them to find that perfect dog.

We had a WUSV competitor at the club a couple weeks ago. He only keeps and competes with dogs he can bring out in defence. He tried to do that with a couple of club dogs..and didnt work out so good. He is a world class trainer/handler but only with a certain type of dog.. If the dog doesnt work the way he likes its on to the next one.

lhczth 03-17-2014 11:42 AM

You will need an experienced team, helper/helpers that can both develop your young dog and work the mature dog for trials, the right dog, and realistic understandings of your own limitations. You will probably want to move to either the New England, NE, Mid-East regions or northern CA. The most consistent teams in this country are in those first three regions, especially the mid-east.

moorebaseball 03-17-2014 11:44 AM

Middle,

Most people in my club recommended Joel Monroe. I also have been told to go to Mike Diehl. I have also heard great things about Gabor in Nashville.

Blitz,

I realize that top trainer doesn't equal top competitor, but I believe that it will give me an advantage :). I have been told similar things about trainers only keeping a certain "type" of dog. With that said, do you have any recommendations for trainers?

Thank you both for the replies :)

moorebaseball 03-17-2014 11:50 AM

Ihczth,

HAHAHAHA, so I will need to move? That sounds like a challenge for me to try and break the mold ;). I am not to far from Northern California. I was just there last month. So who would you recommend to help me training wise. I have a couple of good helpers that train under Joel Monroe. I am all ears though, because I am VERY SERIOUS about going as far as I can.

ayoitzrimz 03-17-2014 12:00 PM

You need to find a club that is actively competing. Ideally the TD/President is a regular competitor on a regional/national level.

I only know clubs in the NE, having just recently moved to Denver so unless you are ready to move to the Boston/NYC area I'm afraid i can't make many recommendations.

The most important thing is to find a club where most people and ideally the TD have the same goals as you do

lhczth 03-17-2014 12:06 PM

Flying out to train in my part of the country often enough to be competitive would be unrealistic even if you have unlimited amounts of money. :)

I am a member of Mike's club and am moving down there as soon as I sell my farm. There are many clubs, though, in my region that could help you achieve your goals. I have not trained with them all so hate to mention names and then leave someone out. There are also some great trainers in the other two regions, though I have only had the opportunity to train with Frank Phillips (NE) when he was judging our trial.

I have never trained with Joel. His club has done well and I have friends that train there and really like him.

Go through results and look at the handlers and clubs that have been competitive for the last 5-10 years.

Smithie86 03-17-2014 01:13 PM

Joel Monroe is excellent. He has trained National level dogs (HOT) from a puppy, plus is a training director, helper and competitor.

If you are near him, I would check him out!

Thank you for the compliment on Gabor. He has coached multiple people for the point focus, behind the scenes :-)

moorebaseball 03-17-2014 01:44 PM

Thanks to everyone who has commented :)! I will keep everyone posted on how the training is going. I get my boy in the first of May!