German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   What do you train first on SchH puppy? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/424922-what-do-you-train-first-schh-puppy.html)

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 08:01 PM

What do you train first on SchH puppy?

I'm sure this varies, but what are some of the first things you train your pup to do when first starting out on training for SchH?

robk 03-15-2014 08:03 PM

I teach eye contact first.

lhczth 03-15-2014 08:24 PM

focus and tracking.

gsdsar 03-15-2014 08:31 PM

Formally, tracking is where I started. Informally, focus. Taking walks and lots of praise and treats when he happens to give me eye contact or fall into the right position. It's all shaping when they are babies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 08:46 PM

Focus I have been working on since day one....Tracking, I'm having problems getting interested in it....It doesn't appeal too me. I better start learning to like it.

onyx'girl 03-15-2014 08:51 PM

What about tracking doesn't appeal to you? I think either you love it or hate it! lol But it is one of the phases so best to get scent boxes started and maybe your dog will love it, so you'll be more enthused to do it.
I teach the same, focus, engagement and scentpads. Personally I love tracking, but my dog is bored by the IPO style of it. With all the tracking time off we've had due to deep snow, I hope he'll come out with deep nose and focus to track.

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onyx'girl (Post 5208474)
What about tracking doesn't appeal to you? I think either you love it or hate it! lol But it is one of the phases so best to get scent boxes started and maybe your dog will love it, so you'll be more enthused to do it.
I teach the same, focus, engagement and scentpads. Personally I love tracking, but my dog is bored by the IPO style of it. With all the tracking time off we've had due to deep snow, I hope he'll come out with deep nose and focus to track.

I haven't really worked him much in tracking...Nothing formal. I've had him do a few things in the house....He loves using his nose. I think I will maybe like it once I get it going....I hope so anyways... Lol....

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 09:11 PM

Do you build your own scent boxes or buy them? I need to research tracking a lot more....I always skipped it or whizzed through that portion?..

gsdsar 03-15-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmoore728 (Post 5208586)
Do you build your own scent boxes or buy them? I need to research tracking a lot more....I always skipped it or whizzed through that portion?..

Scent boxes are not built. They are layed. A scent box is you, stomping the ground to a pulp in a 3x3 box and then lacing it with treats. The pup goes up, and finds the treats. He learns that when he outside of the "scent box" there are no rewards. He learns to associate the scent with reward.

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 5208738)
Scent boxes are not built. They are layed. A scent box is you, stomping the ground to a pulp in a 3x3 box and then lacing it with treats. The pup goes up, and finds the treats. He learns that when he outside of the "scent box" there are no rewards. He learns to associate the scent with reward.

Sorry....I had a stupid moment. The guy I'm working with has shown me this several times....I was thinking "scent box" as in drug detection type nose work...1+1=3 for me sometimes....haha