German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Video of Bane at 6 months (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/424866-video-bane-6-months.html)

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 07:11 PM

Video of Bane at 6 months

Working with Bane a little....I still need to get my delivery/hand placement better...It feels weird to me when rewarding him while he is heeling,,.I should of used my left hand instead of coming across with my right....I think....I'll keep trucking along

Bane at 6 months - YouTube

JakodaCD OA 03-15-2014 07:35 PM

GOOD JOB! he looks great! was it a tad windy there?:)

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 07:42 PM

Flirt pole....So windy out
Bane 6 months old flirt pole - YouTube

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA (Post 5207882)
GOOD JOB! he looks great! was it a tad windy there?:)

It was blowing 40-50 mph the other day....I had a heck of a time with the flirt pole....

robk 03-15-2014 08:13 PM

Banes a great looking pup! I think you are doing great with him. I love his little bark and hold on you he does when you don't treat fast enough.

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robk (Post 5208138)
Banes a great looking pup! I think you are doing great with him. I love his little bark and hold on you he does when you don't treat fast enough.

I have so much too learn...Main thing I have focused on, is eye contact and focus. The club we just started going to should help my learning curve.

gsdsar 03-15-2014 08:30 PM

Nice pup!!! Doing well. Only thing, and it's handler error, quit dropping treats or make them smaller. He takes a lot time disengaged searching the ground for dropped goodies and he has to chew a bit what you gave him.

Also, I would reward and break quicker. Very short correct session interspersed with play.

All in all, he is looking great for such a young pup!!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

coulter 03-15-2014 08:31 PM

How do you start teaching this?

JanaeUlva 03-15-2014 08:48 PM

I would be careful about rewarding when the dog is barking at you. That behavior can really get out of control where the dog is constantly barking while it is working. Other suggestions people made were very good, particularly short correct sessions with exciting breakaway play to keep dog up and engaged. Your observation about feeding with your left hand while teaching the heel is spot on, particularly if you plan on competing. As you probably know, placement of reward plays a big part in position so you will encourage crabbing in the heel if you reward across your body (using your right hand). Nice job, nice dog!

Jmoore728 03-15-2014 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanaeUlva (Post 5208450)
I would be careful about rewarding when the dog is barking at you. That behavior can really get out of control where the dog is constantly barking while it is working. Other suggestions people made were very good, particularly short correct sessions with exciting breakaway play to keep dog up and engaged. Your observation about feeding with your left hand while teaching the heel is spot on, particularly if you plan on competing. As you probably know, placement of reward plays a big part in position so you will encourage crabbing in the heel if you reward across your body (using your right hand). Nice job, nice dog!

The majority of the time when you hear him barking, I'm saying speak. He will at times go through the motions and try speaking when not told to...I ignore it. I'm guilty of also rewarding him for speaking without being told to do so. But I have been ignoring his barking when not told to do so for a while now... I def don't want that to become a problem.

I'm still trying to get a feel for hand placement on the heel....I do plan on competing with him...I'm horrible about dropping treats also...Haha....Thanks for pointing these things out...That's why I have my wife or 4 year old video it, so my mistakes can be observed by forum members. Thank you much for the input