Thoughts on this protection vid. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Thoughts on this protection vid.

What do you think of this dogs work..curious what others see. I do wish the guarding was not cut out as much as it is..
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

What do you want people to say? You can't hear the guarding over the music. It is like a high-lights reel but there are a lot of problems still shown, so it makes me curious what they cut from the video. If they show that many problems what is it that they decided not to show? There is no obedience, many, many,many dogs can bite and work well without having to deal with a handler who demands that they are obedient.

Is the dog titled? Where is that video?

Art
Kennel von der Zahnburg
Zahnburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think its a very good video to showcase the dog's work..And a lot of clips of just the handlers discussing things apparently, so I'm not sure what thats all about. I'm not sure what you're looking to discuss specifically though?
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dog is titled and is being used as a stud. He came up indirectly in a pedigree thread, sire to both of the dogs under discussion. Its the only vid I could find of him. If there is better please post it.

Personally I dont like his guarding the one time its shown, I noticed that all the entries are cut out and your right the music takes away from what you can get from the vid. I just wanted to know what everyone else sees? Seems like he has some progeny that are under discussion.
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think that the dog was probably quite young when this video was taken. Not sure what the purpose of it is. I am sure you can pick apart any training video of a young unfinished dog. I once posted a video of my self and my young dog doing some minor work and we got 40 comments of how bad we sucked. Learned my lesson.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If I was just concerned about the dog as far as breeding was concerned the only thing I'd pay attention to was the bites and the speed of the dog and the temperament. The training wasn't genetic.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Guarding could be stronger, needs to focus on helper not handler in the blind. This dog absolutely does not like to be in the pocket during the drive which I imagine would lead to a shifting grip but I couldn't see it in the vid.

It would have been nice to see the actual escape bite instead of the set up and cut to another scene.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Guarding could be stronger, needs to focus on helper not handler in the blind. This dog absolutely does not like to be in the pocket during the drive which I imagine would lead to a shifting grip but I couldn't see it in the vid.

It would have been nice to see the actual escape bite instead of the set up and cut to another scene.
I felt the same way concerning the way that the dog reacted to the drive, how he seemed to be avoiding the pressure.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I felt the same way concerning the way that the dog reacted to the drive, how he seemed to be avoiding the pressure.

There are enough studs out there that I would not be using this one the dog is 3 years old in that clip. Bad training or no I am NOT a fan of what the dog is showing and what is cut out.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post

See I hate when helpers do the big old circular drive when driving a dog. You don't know who's leading this "dance" the dog or the helper. Helpers should drive into the dog. Tell the dog, I'm going this way, even if it means I'm running right through you. Like it or not you are going in the pocket. But it comes with experience I suppose, some dogs can really move when avoiding pressure.

Anyway With regards to the OP I can't tell a thing watching the video. But does the owner of this dog know you are posting his videos for all to critique? Just because you CAN (it's on youtube) really doesn't mean you SHOULD IMO. Championships are one thing, training sessions are another.

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 03-14-2014 at 10:12 AM.
ayoitzrimz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.