If you created a new protection dog sport - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default If you created a new protection dog sport

... I have a similar thread in another forum, but wanted to have it here as well.

What would it look like. Give me a rule, an exercise, a judging factor, whatever.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

My friends played this game awhile ago. Seemed most wanted it to be more like KNPV. Less healing, more agility, more fight from the decoy, still complete control (ie dog outs perfectly and is obedient). Tracking wasn't step for step. Trying to remember the other stuff. Trial was more random (not the same steps/attack times every time). Hmmm.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniFani View Post
My friends played this game awhile ago. Seemed most wanted it to be more like KNPV. Less healing, more agility, more fight from the decoy, still complete control (ie dog outs perfectly and is obedient). Tracking wasn't step for step. Trying to remember the other stuff. Trial was more random (not the same steps/attack times every time). Hmmm.
I agree about tracking, and fight form decoy, and obedience, and randomness. Don't care about agility in so much as I wouldn't grade a large beast of a dog less for being less agile than a tiny wirey dog... the former brings power where the latter cannot, but makes up for with speed/agility.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
I agree about tracking, and fight form decoy, and obedience, and randomness. Don't care about agility in so much as I wouldn't grade a large beast of a dog less for being less agile than a tiny wirey dog... the former brings power where the latter cannot, but makes up for with speed/agility.
By agility I didn't mean those weave poles or tunnels or anything, I meant more fighting the decoy in situations that require the dog to be agile, exposing possible nerve, etc. I would't be concerned on time or "beauty" in the dog performing "agility" like tasks, more so...can the dog do it, without freaking out, avoiding, or shutting down. If that makes sense.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
Old 02-07-2014, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

It'd be cool if a track could end with a bark/hold or attack from a decoy.....hmmm this is fun.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Protection...I really like the 360 exercise in SDA, I would include that and possibly other exercises where the handler is turning the dog on, and then off (and the dog is penalized for either not shutting off, or shutting off before told), and similar exercises where the dog must show courage and power but no biting. I think a lot of animals are secure biting/on a sleeve and I like to see them work under pressure without that option. Also I think the friendly greeting and re-friendly greeting at the end are important. I like to see the control.

Obedience....other than the BH being so long a boring I rather like SchH obedience. I might add something like sending the dog out to do some commands at a distance (sit, down, stand) and then maybe a drop-on-recall since I think that's a very important exercise practically speaking (I think being able to platz/down the dog any time at any distance is more important than a recall).

Tracking...I really don't know enough about it to say. Maybe make the lower level tracks a bit longer but not require the handler to always be 33' back? That would suit me well
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not sure about much else, but I do know that I like the Schutzhund obedience the way that it is, and definitely wouldn't like to see that watered down any more. I think the precision of it is what makes it so challenging, for me at least.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would like to see more realistic scenario based tests in the protection. That would include the dog having to show more fortitude and determination. So maybe including some "agility" to the bite,I.e climb steps, stand on unstable footing, have to actually search to find the decoy before biting, stuff like that. Don't like a strict routine.

For tracking, would like it to be more realistic. Foot step to foot step, is not practical in a real world scenario.

I like the obedience portion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Here ya go! I would love to see Gryff do the jump shute, the wall, and take the guy off the bike:

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Please, don't call it "sport". Agility is a sport on its own, Schutzhund competition consisting of three parts ( winter/summer biathlon principally could be called its human equivalent) is a sport. But, neither hunting living creatures, or training your dog to hunt humans and deal with tools which hurt the dog, mimicking some military training could possibly be called a sport. No offence, try to understand. Sport is something international, while nothing stops you booking your participation in the World class Schutzhund German Shepherd Schutzhund Club , training protection only is typical only to US and US way of life.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.