German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   If you created a new protection dog sport (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/408058-if-you-created-new-protection-dog-sport.html)

hunterisgreat 02-07-2014 03:35 PM

If you created a new protection dog sport

... I have a similar thread in another forum, but wanted to have it here as well.

What would it look like. Give me a rule, an exercise, a judging factor, whatever.

DaniFani 02-07-2014 03:45 PM

My friends played this game awhile ago. Seemed most wanted it to be more like KNPV. Less healing, more agility, more fight from the decoy, still complete control (ie dog outs perfectly and is obedient). Tracking wasn't step for step. Trying to remember the other stuff. Trial was more random (not the same steps/attack times every time). Hmmm.

hunterisgreat 02-07-2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaniFani (Post 4984482)
My friends played this game awhile ago. Seemed most wanted it to be more like KNPV. Less healing, more agility, more fight from the decoy, still complete control (ie dog outs perfectly and is obedient). Tracking wasn't step for step. Trying to remember the other stuff. Trial was more random (not the same steps/attack times every time). Hmmm.

I agree about tracking, and fight form decoy, and obedience, and randomness. Don't care about agility in so much as I wouldn't grade a large beast of a dog less for being less agile than a tiny wirey dog... the former brings power where the latter cannot, but makes up for with speed/agility.

DaniFani 02-07-2014 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterisgreat (Post 4984522)
I agree about tracking, and fight form decoy, and obedience, and randomness. Don't care about agility in so much as I wouldn't grade a large beast of a dog less for being less agile than a tiny wirey dog... the former brings power where the latter cannot, but makes up for with speed/agility.

By agility I didn't mean those weave poles or tunnels or anything, I meant more fighting the decoy in situations that require the dog to be agile, exposing possible nerve, etc. I would't be concerned on time or "beauty" in the dog performing "agility" like tasks, more so...can the dog do it, without freaking out, avoiding, or shutting down. If that makes sense.

DaniFani 02-07-2014 04:22 PM

It'd be cool if a track could end with a bark/hold or attack from a decoy.....hmmm this is fun.

Liesje 02-07-2014 04:30 PM

Protection...I really like the 360 exercise in SDA, I would include that and possibly other exercises where the handler is turning the dog on, and then off (and the dog is penalized for either not shutting off, or shutting off before told), and similar exercises where the dog must show courage and power but no biting. I think a lot of animals are secure biting/on a sleeve and I like to see them work under pressure without that option. Also I think the friendly greeting and re-friendly greeting at the end are important. I like to see the control.

Obedience....other than the BH being so long a boring I rather like SchH obedience. I might add something like sending the dog out to do some commands at a distance (sit, down, stand) and then maybe a drop-on-recall since I think that's a very important exercise practically speaking (I think being able to platz/down the dog any time at any distance is more important than a recall).

Tracking...I really don't know enough about it to say. Maybe make the lower level tracks a bit longer but not require the handler to always be 33' back? That would suit me well ;)

GatorDog 02-07-2014 05:20 PM

I'm not sure about much else, but I do know that I like the Schutzhund obedience the way that it is, and definitely wouldn't like to see that watered down any more. I think the precision of it is what makes it so challenging, for me at least.

gsdsar 02-07-2014 05:28 PM

I would like to see more realistic scenario based tests in the protection. That would include the dog having to show more fortitude and determination. So maybe including some "agility" to the bite,I.e climb steps, stand on unstable footing, have to actually search to find the decoy before biting, stuff like that. Don't like a strict routine.

For tracking, would like it to be more realistic. Foot step to foot step, is not practical in a real world scenario.

I like the obedience portion.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Castlemaid 02-07-2014 05:55 PM

Here ya go! I would love to see Gryff do the jump shute, the wall, and take the guy off the bike:

David Taggart 02-07-2014 06:03 PM

Please, don't call it "sport". Agility is a sport on its own, Schutzhund competition consisting of three parts ( winter/summer biathlon principally could be called its human equivalent) is a sport. But, neither hunting living creatures, or training your dog to hunt humans and deal with tools which hurt the dog, mimicking some military training could possibly be called a sport. No offence, try to understand. Sport is something international, while nothing stops you booking your participation in the World class Schutzhund German Shepherd Schutzhund Club , training protection only is typical only to US and US way of life.