German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   interesting interview with bart bellon (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/404402-interesting-interview-bart-bellon.html)

boomer11 01-30-2014 10:16 PM

interesting interview with bart bellon

interesting opinions from him on all sorts of topics. im sure people with female dogs would disagree with him

Interview With Bart Bellon

Blitzkrieg1 01-30-2014 10:18 PM

Very old interview. Bart has got to be one of the best trainers of the age.

Baillif 01-30-2014 10:38 PM

Why would they disagree?

boomer11 01-30-2014 10:45 PM

because they think their female is just as big and bad and can do just as well?

Blitzkrieg1 01-30-2014 10:51 PM

Question is can they prove it? I work a female but I know if I take 10 females and 10 males Im more likely to find a stronger dog in the male group.

If you have a truly strong proven female she is worth her weight in gold.

selzer 01-30-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 (Post 4937802)
Question is can they prove it? I work a female but I know if I take 10 females and 10 males Im more likely to find a stronger dog in the male group.

If you have a truly strong proven female she is worth her weight in gold.

Only if she reproduces herself. According to the fellow in the interview, the bitches that were like this seem to be some type of an anomaly, and did not reproduce themselves.

I think it is perfectly natural for a male of a species and a female of a species to have some characteristics that are different. Consider the Lipizzaner horses, the females have a different center of gravity than the males and were used primarily as cart horses. Gestation requires this. The stallions were used for battle. I am not sure how the temperaments differ between male and female though.

Females primarily need to protect the den and pups. Males need to protect their breeding rights. Females will fight to the finish, males generally fight and then drop it when both parties are relatively intact. Males and females are different. If you have a female that is more like a male, then it also makes sense that she may not reproduce herself that well.

hunterisgreat 01-30-2014 11:44 PM

I have an exceptionally bad #%^ female that will put 99% of male dogs to shame :cool: time will tell if she reproduces herself

lhczth 01-31-2014 11:14 AM

There are a few of us with some extremely strong females and some that have produced themselves for several generations. That said, it is sill easier to find extremely strong males. Even in that case, though, they need to be bred to strong females to pass on themselves with any regularity.

I can't watch the video, but have never felt the need to argue about the power of males Vs. females. Males are for the most part, bigger, more muscular and that testosterone tends to make them better in protection work. Females, though, can be far nastier. ;)

mydogs 01-31-2014 12:29 PM

Depends on the dog. I've been told by our trainer females are harder to train as far as SchH. Then again I've seen females put a male to shame. For some reason I feel females are more fearless and driven.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Baillif 01-31-2014 12:57 PM

It still isn't in disagreement with what he said though. He acknowledged there are strong females out there he just said it was aberrant.