How much training at 4 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much training at 4 months?

Just curious for those training around this age how much training and what are you doing right now? We have been doing 4-5 times a day at 5 min clips of basic sit square in front, side. Platz on command and stay. He's doing amazing so far. Great focus and food drive.. Also doing tracking about 10-12 steps out and of course flirt pole using a rag at the end. I feel like we should be adding more now will ask our trainer on Saturday but wondering where anyone else is at. Thanks!
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Cuervo is almost 7 months old. I didn't really start any formal obedience until he was 6 months - we did a lot of engagement/play, obedience without it being obedience until then and worked on building a strong recall.

Right now we've tackled focus, sitz, platz, started heeling foundation (rear end awareness, walking with his head up etc) and the hold for dumbbells. All of this is good at home so I'm now building in distractions and increasing the duration (seperately).

I spentd about 15 minutes twice day doing formal obedience but ask for obedience during play and using whatever I can for learning opportunities. We don't do any tracking because of all the ice/snow and I'm not the biggest fan of the cold.

Sometimes I feel like I'm far behind and had a slight panic attack at a working weekend recently when a 12 week old puppy showed me up but everyone and every dog works a different pace and there's a million different approaches to training a puppy. My breeder was also there and said that we are doing good together, I really respect his opinion so I'll keep on keeping on.

Best of luck!

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

That sounds good! Yes all dogs are different. In a way I think it's good at 6-7 months because their attention spam is so minimal at 4-5 months. I find tracking pretty easy for them as well where others say tracking is the toughest. Keep updates and good luck to you!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mydogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Right now I'm spending about 10 minutes twice a day with my 14 week old pup. He could take more, but I don't have the time or energy for much more. I also want to keep him really excited to work.

I love ending just when things are getting good. Lets him have a chance to take it all in, and keeps him wanting more!
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm doing at least 5-10 short formal obedience at least 4-5 times at day. I also started a new game of hide n seek where my kids would go hide and Mala (6 months) would seek! I am amazed on how she picked up sooooo quickly! Throughout the day I let her be a pup but reward her for good behavior. My 4 year old helps a lot buy giving her treats just because she's being "cute"

Last edited by Mala; 02-18-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Mala is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.