YoJo's third track! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default YoJo's third track!

Here's a short video of a 25 step track I did with YoJo yesterday. It's his third track. He's starting to get the concept of checking each footstep = reward and forward movement. I shouldn't have blocked/popped him for searching to the left and right (TD told me that afterwords), I need to let him work that out on his own. They only thing I should be blocking is skipping the check of a footstep, and not fighting with him on the line, keeping a loose lead and giving a little pop/blocking him skipping a step.

It's so encouraging watching all the handlers with the "finished product" after I work YoJo. One of our handlers just got three of her dogs titled, CDX, TR 1, and TR 2...all with scores of 98-100, using this method from puppyhood(and then a couple with SchH1 and 2, with the same high scores in tracking from trial last fall and the year before). I just have to remind myself of all the dogs I've seen that have great success with it lol. Before my last dog passed, he was on 150 step tracks, serpentines, and way less bait on the track...I really enjoy tracking, I know a lot don't like it.

Didn't get videos of tug work, will try to remember that. It'll be fun looking back on this video when Yo's older. :-D

And of course some fun pics.
Attached Thumbnails
YoJo's third track!-yojo-bone.jpg   YoJo's third track!-yojo-stack.jpg   YoJo's third track!-yojo-tucker.jpg  
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

alright I hit the video and it says it's private waaaaa

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ugh, I always do that...it should work now. :-)
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
Old 01-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

good job, he's a sniffin little machine)))

Tranquillo's Kizzy
Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
good job, he's a sniffin little machine)))
Thanks, yeah it's cool to watch him sniff things out. We keep the cat food in the laundry room, and he walked by the door the first time and started air scenting to the laundry room...he does it all the time.

I made the rookie mistake of playing tug with treats in my pocket. In the middle of tug he stops and hits on my pocket and the treats. My TD yelled, "Dani, do you have hot dogs in your pockets!?" lol, he got me in trouble!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Lol

Tranquillo's Kizzy
Old 01-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Pup is growing like a weed! Looking good! I hide my dogs tug under leaves and play tug when he finds it at end of track! Later on I start giving him scent from someone else; and play tug when he finds them! You are doing great! I know you know what you are doing! Just saying one of the ways I train. Looking good! Bill
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
Pup is growing like a weed! Looking good! I hide my dogs tug under leaves and play tug when he finds it at end of track! Later on I start giving him scent from someone else; and play tug when he finds them! You are doing great! I know you know what you are doing! Just saying one of the ways I train. Looking good! Bill
Thanks Bill! One of the dogs at our club that has very low food drive tracks for toys. 50 Paces, ball, 50 paces, ball. My TD prefers food because it's easier to get them checking every footstep right from the get go, but she def utilizes ball/tug drive if she can't get them to track for the bait. In IPO that "every footstep being checked" is important. It's meticulous and I know a lot hate it for that reason, but I think it's a fun challenge. :-D
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Agree ; I use food also to teach footstep tracking; your right very important for sch.I just reward at end of track with tug. Stahl loves tug! I'm jealous been sick can't work my boy; I'll watch everyone else have fun. P.s. looks cold what's the temp?36 here n.c.Bill
bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think it was low 30's during training. It was 24 degrees when I went running in the evening, it got super cold, so we actually hit the higher temps, thank goodness. One of our training days we have a horse arena we use, which is cold, but not as bad as out on the field.

However, I can't complain to anyone I know about temperatures, all my family and friends in Michigan are dealing with feet of snow and -15 degree windchill...so I'm the "wimpy friend" in the northwest if I mention how cold I am. Hahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.