German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   Does my dog have weak nerves? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/381610-does-my-dog-have-weak-nerves.html)

jaybizy1800 12-15-2013 02:03 AM

Does my dog have weak nerves?

Hello,
I've been doing protection training with my dog once a week for about 2 months with a professional trainer. My dog usually does very well, but today I noticed her bite got weaker than usual and she let go once the helper put his hand on her head which is unusual. I don't want her confidence regressing and I eventually want to compete in shutzhund with her in the future, but after today I'm worried that she might not have the nerves to compete. For those out there experienced in protection, can you checkout my videos below and let me know how I can fix this problem? Does my dog have weak nerves and is there a way to correct this behavior? I also had her in a harness for the first time in the second video. I'm wondering if that can be the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Last week training

Today's training

jaybizy1800 12-15-2013 02:08 AM

Sorry, I added the first video twice.

Here is the video from this afternoon.

boomer11 12-15-2013 02:36 AM

how old? if she's a pup she might just be teething. her bite doesnt seem full and confident. the helper should be able to fling her around without her letting go. if she's releasing every time the helper touches her or puts any pressure on her then yeah thats a problem. what does she do if he just yells or cracks his whip during a bite?

jaybizy1800 12-15-2013 02:58 AM

I don't think she's teething because she's 2 years old. Although, she will play tug with me for a few minutes and won't seem interested after a while. Maybe some teeth issues. When the helper cracks the whip she instantly goes into prey drive and barks while pulling me towards the helper. When the helper yells it's usually not an issues, it's only when the helper puts his hand over her head. It wasn't a problem before, it's just recent that she's been showing week nerves and I would like to correct it before it gets worse. Thanks for your thoughts Boomer11.

DaniFani 12-15-2013 03:28 AM

What does your trainer say about your concerns?

carmspack 12-15-2013 03:30 AM

lot of play and prey --- dog is having fun -- decoy not putting up much challenge - giving dog the sleeve quickly.

how is her obedience ? does stress show there ?
you could continue at this level as long as you see the dog , and yourself having fun -- but I wouldn't want to see this dog pitted against a stronger decoy which may reverse things and create a problem.
At this level she isn't in fear or avoidance , but is at the level which is still okay for her --

you can't correct nerves -- you have discovered her level , training does expose this

jaybizy1800 12-15-2013 03:55 AM

Her obedience is pretty good. She is fully trained off leash and shows no signs of stress during obedience training. She's definitely having fun and showing lots of prey drive during her bite work, but I notice she's not holding her bite like she used to.

Our trainier said she's doing good, but Im new to the sport and all I know is what I read on here and videos on YouTube.

DaniFani 12-15-2013 05:03 AM

Carm, what about this dogs behavior, once it gets to the blind in both videos, tells you it's having fun? To me, it didn't look like it was going to go for a grip in any of the misses (which admittedly can be caused be poor training and the dog "believing" it can get a grip), and I didn't see much confidence. Do you see confidence in the play? What did you think about the dropped grip from the helper applying pressure, and the lack of initial recovery and avoidance when helper came back after she slipped the grip?

DaniFani 12-15-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybizy1800 (Post 4672666)
I don't think she's teething because she's 2 years old. Although, she will play tug with me for a few minutes and won't seem interested after a while. Maybe some teeth issues. When the helper cracks the whip she instantly goes into prey drive and barks while pulling me towards the helper. When the helper yells it's usually not an issues, it's only when the helper puts his hand over her head. It wasn't a problem before, it's just recent that she's been showing week nerves and I would like to correct it before it gets worse. Thanks for your thoughts Boomer11.

I think boomer meant how does she react to other pressure when she's on the sleeve. What does she do if the helper has her gripping the sleeve and he yells at her or cracks the whip while she is still gripping?

You can't "correct" a dog with bad nerves. You can manage it and do obedience to cover it (creating safety through obedience), but it will always come out in bite work. Not that it means it can't be a wonderful pet and family member, just can't handle bite wor.

DaniFani 12-15-2013 05:15 AM

What did your trainer say about what happened in the second video? To me she was clearly uncomfortable with the pressure and then showed avoidance initially before getting a grip and leaving. Did he actually hit her, or just place his hand on her? Was she done for the day after that? I would be curious to see how she engaged the next time. And I wouldn't have wanted to leave on that note.