Would it be stupid to not get my GSD titled - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would it be stupid to not get my GSD titled

Hey guys....I've been thinking....My male GSD is only 13 weeks old. My goal is personal protection trained and family member. My sons are 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old. I know it's a long process to train one for personal protection....Would it be stupid to put all this dedication and work in for a personal protection dog and not get him titled in something also? His pedigree is great, wouldn't I want to carry that great pedigree on? He might end up being a great protection dog, but nothing on paper will show it.

What do you think about this? (I'm new to training, but I'm determined to carry it out.) It greatly interests me and I want my GSD to be a well mannered, obiendent and protective family member.....With children in the house, I have to stay on top of it...

I've never raised a Male GSD....When they reach certain ages, will they try to test me more, try showing dominance. What are common ages for a male to start expressing these things? I want to make sure I know what to expect and look for.....

All opinions welcomed
Jmoore728 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

It doesn't really matter. If you want to do it, then do it. You don't have to do anything if you don't want to. It is not stupid to focus on only what you're looking to achieve, provided you never neglect your dog. If your dog is a fine example of the breed, he will prove it in his work.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

to me having a PPD that was trained professionally is a title. i
don't think it's stupid if you don't go for a title. only you know
if you want to continue his pedigree. your dog's pedrigree is great
but you don't know how his progeny will turn out. if your dog turns
out to be a great PPD the fact that he is a great PPD shows it/speaks
for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmoore728 View Post
Hey guys....I've been thinking....My male GSD is only 13 weeks old. My goal is personal protection trained and family member. My sons are 1 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old. I know it's a long process to train one for personal protection....

>>>>> Would it be stupid to put all this dedication and work in for a personal protection dog and not get him titled in something also? <<<<<
His pedigree is great, wouldn't I want to carry that great pedigree on? He might end up being a great protection dog, but nothing on paper will show it. <<<<<

What do you think about this? (I'm new to training, but I'm determined to carry it out.) It greatly interests me and I want my GSD to be a well mannered, obiendent and protective family member.....With children in the house, I have to stay on top of it...

I've never raised a Male GSD....When they reach certain ages, will they try to test me more, try showing dominance. What are common ages for a male to start expressing these things? I want to make sure I know what to expect and look for.....

All opinions welcomed
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well you asked for all opinions so...

I always question what someone's definition of a PPD is. Some people are willing to pump thousands of dollars into getting the dog trained for protection because they feel like they need that protection for whatever reason. I can't even grasp those reasons because I've never had any type of danger or threat in my life that would require me to have a PPD type dog. I know 100% that just having my GSD around (plus with the temperament that I know he has), my house is more than safe enough without the added expense and liability (huge liability to have a bite trained dog).

I think titling and dog sport is much more fun. There is a set goal, there is a reason to do it (in my mind that is). I know exactly what I need to do and I will get exactly what I want. It gives you the gratification and satisfaction of achieving what you set out to do. A PPD dog...well at the end of the day you're really hoping that the dog never gets tested.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post

I always question what someone's definition of a PPD is. Some people are willing to pump thousands of dollars into getting the dog trained for protection because they feel like they need that protection for whatever reason. I can't even grasp those reasons because I've never had any type of danger or threat in my life that would require me to have a PPD type dog. I know 100% that just having my GSD around (plus with the temperament that I know he has), my house is more than safe enough without the added expense and liability (huge liability to have a bite trained dog).

I think titling and dog sport is much more fun. There is a set goal, there is a reason to do it (in my mind that is). I know exactly what I need to do and I will get exactly what I want. It gives you the gratification and satisfaction of achieving what you set out to do. A PPD dog...well at the end of the day you're really hoping that the dog never gets tested.
agreed. unless your're police, military, or doing bodyguarding work, im not sure why you would need a dog that wants to take down people and do as much damage as possible.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

IMO, the training is far more important than the titles. In the end, what does a title mean? It is affirmation of your training. If you're not breeding, or competing isn't your cup of tea, there not really a point.

Train, don't worry about titles. Obedience first, get an excellent foundation, then the right reputable/experienced trainer or club can help you get quality training as a protection dog.

Also, do you want to do Schutzhund/IPO or actual protection training? They are different things... IPO teaches obedience, tracking and sport-like bitework.. personal protection is much more serious, and the training is more complex.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Might want to ask in the PPD forum or ask people who do this. As much as the breed is capable, I don't know many people that are truly training for PPD. A well-bred GSD will be naturally protective anyway. You're going to find infinitely more people who are doing Schutzhund or other sports like PSA and SDA. I don't know if I know anyone that has a "PPD", other than maybe a SchH titled dog that is protective of the handler and thus referred to as a PPD.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Might want to ask in the PPD forum or ask people who do this. As much as the breed is capable, I don't know many people that are truly training for PPD. A well-bred GSD will be naturally protective anyway. You're going to find infinitely more people who are doing Schutzhund or other sports like PSA and SDA. I don't know if I know anyone that has a "PPD", other than maybe a SchH titled dog that is protective of the handler and thus referred to as a PPD.
This. Actual training for personal protection is totally different in every aspect from any sort of sport based bitework. Titling is basically an outside, third party opinion to affirm your training. There are plenty of people who don't breed who train for competition just for fun. It's a personal choice whether to participate or not
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!

http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 01:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post

I agree...I guess at my point in life (I'm only 31) I'm afraid of failing,,..I'm new to training, but I've been reading SO much, watched 8week to 16 months by Michael Ellis....I really want to learn dog training. I want to be able to read a dog and know what to do....If that makes sense.

My pup seems to be doing good...He will be 14weeks on the 19th. I'm not using any sort of compulsion training....Maininly focusing on marker training and socializing. It makes it a little tough because I have a 4 year that wants to do everything daddy does....It def makes it more stressful and slower paced. .Bane has a great food drive so I'm mainly using this form of training until teething is over. ..We have played a few sessions of tug, but over the past week, he hasn't been very engaged like previous ways....Proably my fault for allowing 24/7 access to all the toys....I stopped this today....After teething, Proably around 6 months, I will start the tugging/bite work back up....He def likes using his mouth. All audible sounds to date doesn't bother him....One thing we have been working on, is when outside at night and dogs start barking, he gets a little nervous....But tonight at my dad's house he acted confident, full of hisself, did great on some basic obedience.....Progress I hope. He loves using his mouth, so hopefully it will continue through this life.

One bad thing about my area, no training clubs for SchH or other protection type training....I know I will reach a point where I will have to find a professional to work decoy, etc. If you know anyone in Oklahoma, please help me out

I totally understand what you are saying. I would love to do SchH, and I'll see how my training goes. See how many mistakes I make during it, I don't want to end up with a $1,500 pet....I want to bring the best of him out....

Around my house, there is so many burglaries and Meth is out of control in my county and basically the entire state of Oklahoma. It's scary bad....I work shift work so I'm working 12 hours hoots 5pm-5am)while my wife and 2 boys are home alone...Just this year we have had several disturbances.. Thank God I didn't have to resort to deadly force. We live in a nice neighborhood but tons of outsiders go block by block checking to see if car doors are locked. They keeping looking until they find one unlocked. Same thing with houses....Me and my wife were home and doorbell rang at 1pm....I was in the bedroom my 1 year old.....I rewound the camera system, and this punk rode his bike up to my front door....Knocked. Then grabbed my wife's cigs off the table. He is acting all jittery, look I'm fought shape....My wife always answers the door with her handgun behind her back.....Sorry for the length of the email, ,I was trying to provided as much info for Pomca City current events
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

My intentions isn't to have some ravaged beast. I want a well rounded, disciplined dog that is effluent in PP....not military type. My goal is to have do trained in PP....Not the where I send him out 50 yards to make a hit.....I'm talking about me and my family are out for a walk and some punks start trouble, asking for money, threaten us....I want my dog to respomd to danger....Whether a bark, or possible bite if they get close. The dog will do nothing without the handler telling him to do so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.