German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Schutzhund/IPO Training (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/)
-   -   confused; tug against you or into you?? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/schutzhund-ipo-training/380954-confused-tug-against-you-into-you.html)

boomer11 12-13-2013 11:33 PM

confused; tug against you or into you??

i know this is a dumb and easy question but i keep hearing conflicting info and want to do it right. do you want your dog to tug away from you? mine will tug HARD in the opposite direction. if i dont have a good base (feet spread apart) he could definitely pull me forward. its not just 1-2 seconds of pulling. he will dig his back feet in and keep on pulling. i encourage it and let him win only when he pulls hard against me. is this good or bad? if its bad then what the heck does tugging into you mean? he isnt on a sleeve. just ball on string and jute tugs.

Baillif 12-13-2013 11:36 PM

You're tugging as a reward? If so who cares let him tug the way he wants as long as he likes it. Some dogs will push it into you and wrap your leg and hold on. Some are thrashers and some love the tug chase when thrown.

gsdsar 12-13-2013 11:39 PM

The way I see it is, I want the dog to tug exactly as you described, once he wins and I let go, I want him pushing back into me for more. Even to the point of jumping into me to shove the tug back at me to reinstate the game. I want him pushing for the game of pulling away.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

gsdlover91 12-13-2013 11:41 PM

Its called countering, and yes, its good.. Also agree with gsdsar, that is how me and my dog play tug.

DaniFani 12-14-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsdsar (Post 4668362)
The way I see it is, I want the dog to tug exactly as you described, once he wins and I let go, I want him pushing back into me for more. Even to the point of jumping into me to shove the tug back at me to reinstate the game. I want him pushing for the game of pulling away.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

This is how I was taught, and what I am told to encourage. I let him win sometimes by letting him "pull" me (I actually move with him as he pulls away, but keeping tension, if that makes sense) while I still hold the tug, and sometimes I let him win by me completely letting go. Then I immediately start backing up, calling him, and encouraging him to push it back to me....eventually I am hoping for the picture gsdsar described above. I got it with the rottie I was training before I got my puppy. She would immediately push it right back into me when I let her "win." It's so much fun when they get to that point. :-) I think it was Hunter (hunterisgreat) that plays tug differently. I could be remembering this wrong, but I think he's the one that only encourages pushing into you??...that could have been at workingdogforum that he said that, hopefully he'll chime in. :)

doggiedad 12-14-2013 08:15 AM

i didn't know there's a right or wrong way to play tug. is there a right
or wrong way to play tug? does it matter how the dog tugs?

when i play tug the dog grabs the other end of what i'm usuing
to tug with (stick, towel, tug toy, etc). my dog grabs the dog.
sometimes he pulls backwards, shakes his head side to side,
quick short and hard pulls. he growls and makes a high pitch
bark and sometimes a pitch bark/yap. i'll tell him to "leave it"
or "drop it" then i'll throw the tug. when he brings it back
he'll thrash, throw his head up and down and drop the tug
at my feet. i pick it up and we start again.

has your dog ever caught your hand or fingers? ouch! has
your dog ever caught your hand or fingers in the winter time?
double ouch!