Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-)

Hello everyone!

As most of you know, I just got my new guy a week ago. He's just fantastic! I am so happy with him. Super stable, really unphased by most things, and boy does he love to bite and pull! :-D I took him to the park a block from my house, I was the only one there. Ran up the steps on the playground, across a super creaky/moving bridge...he ran right after me, grabbed the leash I had and tried to play tug while we were four feet off the ground! Then I ran down the slid and he came pouncing down after me. Zero fear!

The only thing he seemed wary of (really more like "what is that") were groups of kids. However, after meeting a bunch at a bus stop, it literally took that ONE time for him to decide he loved kids, and now they get greetings and kisses just like everyone else. I swear, it's like he is trained. He naturally falls into a heel on me left side, sits when people pet him, it's great! We just got back from getting some lumber from Home Depot. They had to cut it for us, and the guy said, "this is super duper loud, it's probably going to scar him." I said to go ahead, and I'd walk him away if he couldn't handle it. He was laying down next to me, the guy started this screeching saw, and he just kind of cocked his head at the guy, but didn't get up or anything....then he went back to trying to play tug with his leash with me. Everytime I think, surely this will show a little nerve...nope. It's so incredibly refreshing to have such a sound dog. And even when he does look at something he's never seen before(or very litter), bicycle, kids, carts, he regards them quietly, ears up, tail wagging, checks it out...and then it's like it's nothing at all. His recovery time/time to get over something is awesome!

Okay, sorry for the gush-fest....it's just not many around me (except for club people) understand how awesome this makes me feel after what I went through with my other guy.

So, I posted in the SchH/IPO area because I want to know how those of you who have children/family and a sport dog that is in the house, strike a balance. My TD has drilled it into my head to train conflict-free. No heavy handed corrections (obviously) or chasing down, yelling, etc...I do lots of trading/re-directing, and the two times I have had to correct, I did it without my direct intervention. Example: YoJo wanted to jump on my son's head whenever he ran by excitedly playing. So I put a drag line on him, and when he went to jump, I stepped on the drag line, and his momentum/weight corrected himself. I didn't say or do anything. He didn't "react" to the correction, so I thought "well that didn't work" but he hasn't jumped on my son since. It's like he just gets it! It's incredible!

Everything is positive, positive, positive, food, play, everything. I am not introducing corrections until he is mature enough and bonded enough to me to handle them(and even then, only when he needs them). I try to keep a balance between crate time and family time to maintain those drives, and it's been working great. Yesterday was an awesome first day at club! We are really only playing and tugging at this point. He had a habit of grabbing something and running, looking back, trying to get me to chase him...So, I'd run the other way and he takes off after me. He's starting to drop that habit. TD said it's a littermate thing lol. I'm shaping "platz" and "sitz," but it's all with food and luring for the foundation No corrections or pressure, I don't want to create conflict of un-necessary pressure in the foundations. And of course he get's a big party for coming when recalled. He's yet to blow me off though, the bond is already pretty strong. I'll get some videos next time at club.

I am by NO means an expert at any of this. I am being guided every step of the way by TD's and decoys, but not a lot of them have house/family dogs that also do IPO. So, to everyone who does the family dog/IPO dog, any tips? Especially those of you with children? I'm excited to share my progress with all the IPO peeps here.

And of course some pics! :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-)-intense-yojo.jpg   Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-)-happy-tongue.jpg   Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-)-yojo-bridge.jpg   Some gushing and Zero Conflict Foundation :-)-tug.jpg  
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Pretty cool and good advice from your TD. Build engagement using reward and lack of reward, nothing else. When you have super solid engagement (a few months of work) only then start shaping OB with no verbal command (sit, down and stand), then introduce verbal commands when pup is offering behavior and reduce body cues till he begins to understand verbal only. Everything is fun and play, if you start losing engagement that means there needs to be more play. Looking forward to hearing updates.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Congrats and super nice pup! Sounds like you have a good plan and it's already working out. Nice

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

congrats on a stable dog. they are so much more enjoyable then a nervy one. less time managing and more time enjoying the dog.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Man, I am so jealous.

That is one CUTE puppy, and sounds like a rockstar in the making.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Happy for you, he sounds like an easy keeper. Whats the pedigree if you dont mind my asking?
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks everyone! Merciel, yeah..I just hope my fumbling handling doesn't ruin him!! lol

Blitz, pedigree below :-).

Father: Gun Vom Weinbergblick

Gun vom Weinbergblick ? working-dog

Mothers: (This is actually her littermate's pedigree, mother isn't on the database)

Quack von der Ernetranch ? working-dog

Missing in the mother's pedigree is

Freija Vom Klostersee: SchH 2, IPO 1, HD normal

and her parents are:

Quasy von der bosen nachbarschaft: SchH 3(V-WUSV-WM) , FH 2 HD normal

Aloxa Vom Bruckfeld SchH3 HD normal

Both Dam's parents are SchH3 and HD normal, title and health test just not listed on workingdog.

I tried to just attach the scanned German pedigree, but it keeps saying it's too large. Any way to shrink it? Otherwise I can email it to anyone that just loves looking at pedigrees. :-)
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
Old 12-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
Pretty cool and good advice from your TD. Build engagement using reward and lack of reward, nothing else. When you have super solid engagement (a few months of work) only then start shaping OB with no verbal command (sit, down and stand), then introduce verbal commands when pup is offering behavior and reduce body cues till he begins to understand verbal only. Everything is fun and play, if you start losing engagement that means there needs to be more play. Looking forward to hearing updates.
Thanks for the advice, Packen. What's the thought behind no verbal markers at first? The only reason I started the obedience is because he started offering behaviors for treats. So I say the command once (now he jumps into a sit), wait for the butt to hit ground, and immediately mark it with release of treat (hand to mouth) and command. Same thing with the down, only it takes him a little longer sometimes to get the butt all the way down...he does the puppy, butt in the air, front paws down, and then drops butt. He's starting to jump into the down from the sit, I'd say about 50% of the time. Then we do a couple of "puppy pushups" and done. Short and sweet, tug and play happens more than OB. Obedience is usually only once, maybe twice a day, for a few mins at a time. Play is 2/3 times, as well as his walk and whatever "exposure" we do...ie Home Depot, Downtown walk, markets, beach, etc.... I can't wait for him to be mature so he can start running with me. I ran the rottie I was training, and I miss my jogging-companion.

It's nerve wracking starting with a puppy. My late GSD didn't start SchH until he was 5/6 months old, and the rottie I trained was over a year when I got her. I haven't done the foundation stuff with itty bitty puppy, and I'm always thinking, "don't create conflict, don't screw up!" lol!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks for the pedigree, especially like the sire .
Such shy animals are in all circumstances an encumbrance to their owner, who must be ashamed of such a dog, and a disgrace to their race. Under no circumstances whatever must they be used for breeding, however noble and striking they may appear.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is so awesome to read about, and I'm looking forward to your experiences as your dog grows up! When we eventually get our pup, I'm going to be in the same boat as you, haha! I really want to get into SchH, but way too overly nervous that I'm going to screw up something from the get go and my newbie handling is going to limit my dog's potential. I'm really glad to hear you having a good experience, because after doing tons of research, I'm hoping to get a puppy that also has such a great start to life thanks to the breeder's efforts. Please keep posting as you go along!
Wolfenstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.