Puppy bonded with me but husband doing Sch - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wouldn't take it that far. If you are both involved in training the dog is probably going to be pretty used to one of you being around in the background while everything is going on and will learn to tune that out, especially if once you start teaching the dog to tune out distractions one of you starts to act as that distraction. If you end up like my gf and are somewhat afraid to "screw the puppy up" by not getting involved in training it can become an issue. She would often take him out to potty before I started a session of tug or a food obedience session or something like that in the back yard. He knows the obedience or tug sessions don't start without him going to the bathroom first. She would take him out for that but not actually run the sessions. He gradually became conditioned to me popping into the picture and surprising him with tug or a session. So if she is just walking or working with him and I come out of nowhere guess what happens? He completely zones her out and stares at me intently waiting for go time.

Last edited by Baillif; 12-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Baillif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
The puppy is going to need to perform for lots of people not just you and your husband. There is going to be times where other people are going to need to work your dog.
Disagree, I do a lot of sports (including SchH/IPO) and no one else needs to handle my dogs. Every once in a while someone helps me during flyball and a few times I've let my agility instructor try something with my dog but can count on both hands the amount of times someone else has handled my dog and it was never a necessity. I don't understand what times a dog will "need" to be worked by someone other than the handler?

To the OP, I would have your husband take care of the dog's basic needs like feeding, pottying, walking/exercise, etc. It's not that you shouldn't play with your dog but he should make sure he is. If you are doing all the stuff at home and he's taking the dog to training, I can see where there might be some conflict. If he's doing the stuff at home and doing the play and exercise, it should be fine. No reason you can't participate. My husband will sometimes play with my dogs and often takes my competition dog jogging. He also attends some of our training and has helped at our competitions and is never a distraction for my dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Disagree, I do a lot of sports (including SchH/IPO) and no one else needs to handle my dogs. Every once in a while someone helps me during flyball and a few times I've let my agility instructor try something with my dog but can count on both hands the amount of times someone else has handled my dog and it was never a necessity. I don't understand what times a dog will "need" to be worked by someone other than the handler?

To the OP, I would have your husband take care of the dog's basic needs like feeding, pottying, walking/exercise, etc. It's not that you shouldn't play with your dog but he should make sure he is. If you are doing all the stuff at home and he's taking the dog to training, I can see where there might be some conflict. If he's doing the stuff at home and doing the play and exercise, it should be fine. No reason you can't participate. My husband will sometimes play with my dogs and often takes my competition dog jogging. He also attends some of our training and has helped at our competitions and is never a distraction for my dog.
Right. Honestly, it's up to you and your husband if you want others to be working your dog. Personally, I wouldn't want anybody else working mine, unless it's the trainer showing me how to do something.

Harley
Black/Tan, neutered male

Varick vom Haus Jeffery
Dark Sable, intact male
DDR/West German Show
HarleyTheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Those are pretty much the times I mean. They're new they'll need trainer help sometimes. Also if you are in the same system as other people in club it can really help socialization wise and in other ways to pass puppies or young dogs off to each other for short periods of time and do the food marker training and that sort of thing. It really helps bring them out of their shell especially if they are a little on the inhibited side.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Well my husband will be working the dog. His concern was only that I stay home so I spend 90 percent of the time with him. He is worried the dog won't work for him on the field. He does tug with him he does play and spend every free time he has with him right now.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

His concern is not justified so you can set him at ease.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
The puppy is going to need to perform for lots of people not just you and your husband. There is going to be times where other people are going to need to work your dog. As long as he is keeping it fun and upbeat and properly motivating the puppy with rewards the little guy is going to do what he needs to do to get at them. The puppy will bond with him just fine.
Why would other people need to work the dog? Nobody works my dog except me.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My family is home more than me. I feed my dogs, I work my dogs. I have no issue handing my dog off to another person. In fact, I do that on purpose. They should be comfortable with other people. But they are bonded to me.

I think once your husband starts training him none of this will be an issue. As someone said above, if he is bonded with you then you should be used as a distraction so he learns to ignore you when working.

These are smart dogs...they can figure it all out.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Why would other people need to work the dog? Nobody works my dog except me.
I answered above.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thank you Baillif and jax08

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
My5dogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.