How many training hours per day? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default How many training hours per day?

So...the last two blow up threads and information in those threads had me thinking--does Sabo have it in him?

I have done a lot of self reflection, and talked to some people around here that do Schutzhund...and have decided to take him for a temperament test with Mike Kempkes who is about 30 min away. Those that I've talked to do about 1-2 hours of practice a day, then 1 hour a week with the club and 1 hour a week with Mike...and this is about what I do just with training and playing with Sabo.

Some self-reflection showed that I am afraid of the sport. Why? What if my dog doesn't have it in him? What if I create this bag of nerves and ruin my dog? What if I make an aggressive dog?

Other side of it was: I have always wanted to do this. ALWAYS. When looking at shepherds on line, I've always gravitated toward the IPO videos and training videos.

I'm still split here. I love agility, I love watching the videos---its so much FUN and the dogs eyes are GLOWING...however, watching Schutzhund...those dogs are INTENSE and their eyes are glowing also! Not to mention their tails are going a mile a minute!

Anyway---can someone lend me advice? Their stories? Their feelings? Is this something you have always known you would do? If we don't have the temperament for it...well, we are still doing Agility just for kicks anyway! Am I really ready to go down this road with my dog?

Bottom line I want a HAPPY DOG! I want a CONFIDENT dog! I want a dog that can see something new and think "Hey! No big deal! Mom is here, I'm cool with all this!" and keep on walking.

My bottom line fear? I'm afraid of failing my dog. I am afraid of that with everything I do. I am afraid of being a giant failure in his eyes.

Chime in anyone?
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)

Last edited by erfunhouse; 09-10-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: add
erfunhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We don't do any Schutzhund or dog sports although I would not mind some dog sports, it's too far away to be practical. Anyway my feeling is pick something you enjoy and hopefully your dog will follow, pick up your enthusiasm.

Our first trainer was very boring, I would space out and my dog's only thought was to play and do agility. Not very productive.

Second trainer had a lot of energy, overall positive and did a lot of agility that my dog loved, plus I enjoyed moving, running too. We both went home exhausted, in a good way. If there was something we did not like in training, we wouldn't do it or take a break.

So I guess its up to you, if you can get over a fear. Sometimes it takes a while.

Last edited by Gretchen; 09-10-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added words
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Do what you and Sabo ENJOY! I had similar thoughts as you, I was terrified to go get my dog evaluated, but I'm glad I did. Turns out, he has it in him, no he won't be GREAT or we may never even title, but we have fun , I learn ALOT, and I've met some really awesome people. I also do alot of other sports with him cause he truly enjoys a lot of them. Schutzhund just demands alot of time and dedication. So give it a go, see what happens and if you guys like it. you'll never know unless you try.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks for the support guys! I am so NERVOUS about it! What if he has it in him and the trainer says I don't??? ACK!!!! We go Thursday morning! My stomach is already in knots! LOL! I'm half tempted to ask for a scrip of ativan so my nerves dont wack Sabo out! LOL! (So kidding on that! I just wont have coffee that morning to keep the jitters at bay!)

Because my kids LOVE the agility stuff, I am also planning on doing that for fun. There is a club here that will let the kids "handle" the dogs...so if Sabo really loves it, we can do both and my daughter (more into it than my son, he just loves to watch "his" dog do cool stuff) can help me out.
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I never train 1-2 hours a day at home. I may track one day, do a 10 minute obedience session(working on whatever we need to work on, be it retrieves send out, go arounds or focus heeling) and try to keep it fun.
I do train every Saturday with my club(all three phases) and Sundays and Tues I go to another field for obedience and protection. My club doesn't have an actual trial field so I need my dog to see this picture/run blinds, etc.
I also train once a week with another private obedience instructor for whatever I'm working on. I follow one program, take it all three places. I love training and because my club is so far away, once a week isn't enough....and I enjoy having someone spot me/critique me and give me some suggestions because I'm still a newb at this. So I go elsewhere for more. Every day though I do a session, short and sweet. Tonight we're going back to the basic of article indication because I want to polish up a bit of crookedness in the down.

Don't feel intimidated or inhibited when you go. Your dog will feel it down the leash big time.
Instead go in with confidence and prepare to make a fool of yourself, because your dog loves it when you act like one/it brings up their enthusiasm!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-10-2013 at 06:05 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Go and have fun!!! If your dog doesn't love it, you don't have to do it. I don't train an hour a day. When I am prepping to trial it's maybe 10-15 mins twice a day. Tracking 3-4 times a week and protection about 2 times a week. With my puppy, it's two 5-10 min obedience sessions a day and lots of play, exposure and life things.

Be careful, it's addictive and you will end up with more dogs, a minivan, and thousands of dollars worth of gear before you know it! :-)

Khaleesi von Feuer- German Shepherd 2/3/2013
MilesNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think as long as you have Sabo's best interests in mind(sounds like you do) you cannot go wrong. It sounds like you spend a lot of time with him and I think based on the quality of time spent together, he will be all of the things you want him to be.
Redrider469 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks guys! To be clear- we dont train 1-2 hours a day period right now! LOL! We play and goof off outside in intervals for a total of 1-2 hours. In that play we tug with ropes, throw balls, and certain commands are interspersed like "wait" "sit" "Down" "get it"...stuff like that. formal "training" work is about 3-10 minutes depending on his focus and my energy levels. He knows when I'm running through the motions and will get easily distracted if I'm not totally into what we are doing!

Thank you all so much!
Sabo's Blog (I'm nuts)
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Your dog is either a bag of nerves, or he isn't. You won't be 'creating it'. The evaluation will tell you if he has it to start, if he does, just have fun! It is an adventure and a learning experience for both of you - even if he doesn't cut if for protection, you can do tracking and Obedience, and watch other dogs doing protection and get a great education about nerves, aggression, and control.

I started with my shelter mutt! She didn't have the drives, the stamina, or the natural aggression that a good working dog has, but she had enough for us to learn together and have fun. Our club helper at the time felt that she would title, but for a number of reasons I never pursued it.

If I were to do it all over again, I would. It was fun to be part of a club, to be involved, and even if not a SchH1, we did do a BH, and try and fail and try and succeed in tracking and obedience.
Just take one little step at a time, go for the eval. Experienced trainers will look for confidence and prey drive in a young prospect - much can be built on that.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erfunhouse View Post
So...the last two blow up threads and information in those threads had me thinking--does Sabo have it in him?

I have done a lot of self reflection, and talked to some people around here that do Schutzhund...and have decided to take him for a temperament test with Mike Kempkes who is about 30 min away. Those that I've talked to do about 1-2 hours of practice a day, then 1 hour a week with the club and 1 hour a week with Mike...and this is about what I do just with training and playing with Sabo.

Some self-reflection showed that I am afraid of the sport. Why? What if my dog doesn't have it in him? What if I create this bag of nerves and ruin my dog? What if I make an aggressive dog?

Other side of it was: I have always wanted to do this. ALWAYS. When looking at shepherds on line, I've always gravitated toward the IPO videos and training videos.

I'm still split here. I love agility, I love watching the videos---its so much FUN and the dogs eyes are GLOWING...however, watching Schutzhund...those dogs are INTENSE and their eyes are glowing also! Not to mention their tails are going a mile a minute!

Anyway---can someone lend me advice? Their stories? Their feelings? Is this something you have always known you would do? If we don't have the temperament for it...well, we are still doing Agility just for kicks anyway! Am I really ready to go down this road with my dog?

Bottom line I want a HAPPY DOG! I want a CONFIDENT dog! I want a dog that can see something new and think "Hey! No big deal! Mom is here, I'm cool with all this!" and keep on walking.

My bottom line fear? I'm afraid of failing my dog. I am afraid of that with everything I do. I am afraid of being a giant failure in his eyes.

Chime in anyone?
I'm excited for you. make sure you come back and tell how it went. I am just starting out in IPO also after not doi well in French ring. I wish I would have done some things differently. I have made many mistakes already. But luckily our dogs are very forgiving. Have fun Thursday!

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.