Schutzhund advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Schutzhund advice.

Hi. I was wondering if you could help me with something . I have a 2.5 year old female GSD with a very high toy / food drive. I'm currently trying to get her titled if schutzhund, but this is my first Sch dog and I'm still learning how and when to correct her and get what I want out of her. In addition, she is a pet, my best friend and great protector of my kids and family. Here is my question. The trainer with whom I've been working with for about a month offered to buy her because she's such a nice bitch. While I don't care about the money, I don't want to lose my best friend and side kick. My only concern is this. Am I doing her an injustice by using her as my first Sch dog since I am making mistakes and apparently not as clear as I should be with commands? This trainer isn't the first to offer to buy her. I had another breeder offer me two pups for her and I turned him down. I've been told that she can certainly go far in the sport, I'm just afraid I'm holding her back. Any suggestions as to books on training etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'd also appreciate some feedback from Sch trainers and handlers. Thanks.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jsweeney76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

your dog does not care what titles she earns....she is your buddy and loves you and your family....

If you love the dog, keep it. Train her for fun and to enjoy working with her....don't sell her because she will do better in the sport for someone else....

Lots of sport people go through dogs and buy and sell them....and I am sure the dogs would be just as happy being with someone in a forever home

Lee

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Your dog has no interest in titles. Rehoming is a personal choice, but if you're coming here and questioning it I think you know the answer. The only time I think rehoming/selling a dog is the "right" thing to do is when the dog is way too much for an inexperienced handler to the point it is a dangerous combintion.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Your dog has no interest in titles. Rehoming is a personal choice, but if you're coming here and questioning it I think you know the answer. The only time I think rehoming/selling a dog is the "right" thing to do is when the dog is way too much for an inexperienced handler to the point it is a dangerous combintion.
That or the handler is just overwhelmed with too many dogs, and while by their own fault, its not fair for some of the dogs to get neglected when they can be the only pampered pet in another home. JMO and let's make it clear we are talking about rehoming a schH dog within the schH community to someone the handler knows and trusts, there's really no excuse for dumping a dog in a shelter or something like that... just a disclaimer
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

We all started at the beginning and all make mistakes, even with the 2nd or 3rd dog. Doesn't matter to the dog. Most important is she has a wonderful home and she is part of your family.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
justde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Can you "rent" her to the trainer? Just kidding! But seriously, would it be practical and would she enjoy staying with him for a weekend here and there, to train and maybe go on to compete in a trial sometime?
StephenV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Almost No one EVER gets the most out of their first dog, everyone has to learn how to train and how to be clear and will make mistakes along the way. As everyone here has said, the dog does not care!!!! If you love her and enjoy training with her, and she loves you and enjoys training with you, then who cares what the scores or titles are.... Enjoy her, those "once in a lifetime dogs" are hard to find, enjoy her now rather then realizing it later when it is too late....and don't worry about titles, scores or whatever, because she doesn't.
schh3fh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have a friend that is dealing with this right now. Her TD keeps telling her how much better her dog would be if he was handling him and picking at all of the mistakes she is making. You love your dog, you are enjoying your dog. Ignore the trainer. Like everyone else said, the dog doesn't care about her scores or how long it takes to get her titled. She only cares about being able to do things with you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

The thing is, if you sell her....then what? Your NEXT dog is now your first SchH dog....at some point you/we all have to learn. I've made mistakes with my first SchH dog, big mistakes, maybe mistakes I won't ever overcome but he's priceless to me. I have nothing against selling dogs, but if you don't *want* to sell her, I don't think pressure from the TD is a good enough reason.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

We all had a first dog. I find that when your first dog is a good training dog you tend to get more into it and keep at it longer. My first dog was great and I was so inept. I wish I could have her back now and start over but alas not possible. The dog could care less about the titles she just loves the fact that she's the object of your affection and time. We have a couple of newbie handlers in our club who have outstanding dogs. We keep telling them that they are SOOOO lucky and to enjoy learning with a dog who is loving the work! If it keeps you in the sport then I think she is doing a job and that's all that matters. If you were planning on breeding her and wanted to campaign her to a regional or national level then that's another matter but if you are in this to learn about training and the sport then consider yourself lucky and enjoy!

- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of
, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.