OKAY, all you SchH Snobs! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default OKAY, all you SchH Snobs!

(And I say that lovingly/joking. Kind of).

We used to have our flyball practices at 9 am every Sunday. Until the ScH snobs decided they didn't want us using it.
They started getting there at 8:30 so we had to find another park to practice at.
This wouldn't bother me, normally (because it WAS their usual park before us), but when they found out we were using it, they started coming for training earlier so we had to relocate.
Not to mention, they're just flat-out rude.

If we show up while they're setting up, they will shoot us dirty looks the whole time. (We would stay there to wait for everyone to get there so we could all collaborate to find another park).

When I was asking my breeder about clubs around here (because when I get my GSD, I REALLY do want to do SchH). She told me she wouldn't recommend any of the SchH clubs out here. (She does PSA).

I've also heard that (in general), they don't like newbies, they don't like people who don't intend on trialing/titling their dogs, they don't care for non-breeders, I've heard some clubs use less-than-ethical training methods to get the dogs titled quicker....
(Mind you, this is all what I've HEARD).

What the heck, guys? I wonder how many others are scared away from trying out the sport just from heresay....
I'm not going to decide if I'll do it or not based on rumors, but I will admit - I'm quite intimidated to go out and see clubs train and talk to them.

(This pertains to the local clubs).
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Heresay is just that...and I always consider the source. I wouldn't make any judgements from others,unless they were actually involved in the particular club(and even then, not sure I'd listen, rather see for myself!)
There is truth in some clubs wanting competitors to be committed....too much time can be wasted when someone is using up valuable club time and not following through on the sports requirements. But newbies are usually welcome if the club can give them the time and be fair to everyone. If there are no newb's the sport will die.
As far as not wanting anyone but breeders in the club? Never see that around my area.
Less than ethical methods is subjective....what one person views as compulsion another sees as the way to keep their dog in line because some of the dogs need a bit of pressure to learn control.

Too bad that group acted that way, not a great representation for the sport for sure. I probably would have gone over and introduced myself(especially if I was interested in IPO for the future).

Many times people setting up are just going about their business with intensity, and they may look like they are PO'd but in reality just stressed because of time constraints.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-10-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: sp fix
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's probably just that club, some clubs do it differently than others. If there are other clubs in the area shoot them an email and see how open they are to newcomers.

We have a 9 week old puppy and I emailed one in my area to ask if she could come observe and they were really excited about it! They didn't even ask what breed she was or if I wanted to be serious about it, so nice groups are out there somewhere.

Sounds like you just have a group of jerks in your area.

Good luck, I would try not to let one group's treatment of you guys sour your experience, but I would totally be feeling the same way.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My club welcomes all breeds and all types noobs or experienced people. Newbies are the future of the sport so turning them away is less then smart.
Blitzkrieg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm definitely not going to make a decision based on rumors and heresay, but my 'source' (we'll call her) has trained with the club that takes the park.

And it's not just them setting up and shooting us dirty looks - several of our teammates have attempted conversation, but they wouldn't even acknowledge their existence.

It just kinda sucks, because even though it is heresay, it still makes it more intimidating and is a put-off. Kills the excitement of wanting to try out the sport....

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They weren't inviting by me either. I got there early and they ignored me for a long time. They talked to me enough to tell me that my dog didn't look like she would do well in the sport..blah blah blah. So I sat there for about 3 hours listening to their conversations and waiting my turn. Well, they were surprised at my dog and what she was able to do. I was invited to come back and continue but I decided against it. I think deep down that I wanted to prove my dog could do it, but as a group, they weren't what I was looking for. So on to agility we went and we are happy with that set of people.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that's an isolated issue with that specific club. Every club I have trained with has been wonderful.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
I think that's an isolated issue with that specific club. Every club I have trained with has been wonderful.
I've heard bad things about several clubs around here.... The park snots are the first ones I've actually had any sort of contact with.
I'm hoping all the rumors I've heard about the other clubs are just that - rumors.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
i doubt it - a version of that same experience has occured and been told more times just on the various forums alone let alone people that don't post for it to be more than an isolated issue.

my one club split into three clubs all a stones throw from each other and all the the TD's are commercial breeders, i was getting along fine as a volunteer without a dog then i arrived one day with a new pup (not from any of the TD's) ready to play and i kept getting told to just wait my turn over on the side of the field over and over untill i get sick of waiting and didn't go back.

the three clubs each with barely enough members to be called a club occupy the precious parks/training grounds that are very rare in the middle of the city and all the other dog owners who outnumber schuts people 100 to 1 do not get a space - totally selfish and the issue is not going unnoticed by local authorities that have to justify their allocations of use of public land.

Last edited by x11; 02-10-2013 at 05:47 PM.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes club members aren't real warm with visitors. I think it is the fact that they are testing their mettle or something. I've been to more than a few where people are not outgoing or friendly. Unless they know you or your dog or your dogs breeder, you are invisible. But going back again and again will bring some respect. Shows you aren't deterred by the cold shoulder!
I've always made it a point to be accomodating to visitors wherever I train because I know the feeling going in alone without knowing anyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.