Tattoo or Chip - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tattoo or Chip

I read somewhere that in order to join a membership I need my dog to have a tattoo... Does anyone know if that is USCA? I read it about a month ago then totally forgot where that was from...

Anyway Kono has a chip but i dont know if I would need a tattoo to enter a club or trails... Plus I dont want to buy a $150 reader... Should I get a tattoo? And when? She is already almost 1 years old. Would it be noticeable. Does it have to be done by a registered person?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I looked into this. You can have tattoo or chip. If you belong to a club, they usually have a reader you can use. The issue I have is this... I haven't been able to find anyone to tattoo Grim. He's almost seven months. I want him done, because to get an "A-stamp" for his hips, he has to have SV certification. THAT requires a tattoo. You don't have to have a tattoo to trial, though. You also shouldn't have to have a tattoo to join a club. If you're a USCA member, then you have to follow their rules. I read that if the pup is more than 12 weeks, the dog has to be sedated to be tattooed. There are lists of their tattoo people on their site for each region.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I looked into this. You can have tattoo or chip. If you belong to a club, they usually have a reader you can use. The issue I have is this... I haven't been able to find anyone to tattoo Grim. He's almost seven months. I want him done, because to get an "A-stamp" for his hips, he has to have SV certification. THAT requires a tattoo. You don't have to have a tattoo to trial, though. You also shouldn't have to have a tattoo to join a club. If you're a USCA member, then you have to follow their rules. I read that if the pup is more than 12 weeks, the dog has to be sedated to be tattooed. There are lists of their tattoo people on their site for each region.
I tattooed Katya at 2 years, no sedation. Just some oral meds... Forget what kind, but powerful enough to make her goofy for an hour.

My dogs are all tat'ed and chip'ed
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's weird that the SV would require tattoos for A-stamps but it seems everyone in Germany is switching from tattoos to chips.

I have both done. If the puppy doesn't come tattooed then I'll get it tattooed, hopefully before 3 months.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Dogs must have permanent identification (chip or tattoo, I do both) in order to trial with USCA. Not sure if this is true for other breeds, but it is for GSD.

I would check again about the tattoo requirement for the 'a' stamp since Germany no longer tattoos their dogs, but uses chips only.

I still do both because I have seen chips fail or be difficult to read. Had a guy at a trial last fall with a brand new chip (can't remember if it was Avid or Homeagain) who had driven to IN from VA. The chip didn't want to read with two different universal readers. I worked on it for the club since I had my reader with me. Then I tried a trick a friend showed me running magnets over the dog and tried again. Finally the chip showed up. Most clubs are not going to spend the time and that person would have made a very long trip for nothing.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

For DVG they have made the requirement that you dog have a chip and and the chip will now be read at all trials to make sure they are in the dog. Or at least that was the big surprise at the most recent trial I went to hwere a lot of owners could not find the chip in their dog with a judge using the readr and so a couple of competitors were DQ'd for it.
szariksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The chips are a huge issue and if the chip fails, replacing it in a dog that has already been titled is a big hassle.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Tattoo or Chip

My dog has 2 chips and a tattoo. I prefer the tat. I believe a vet can do it with a pen type tool? My dog was done very young in his ear...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Limit (Kelpie)
Jentry (GSD)
FG167 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Chips also migrate so scanning down the legs should be done if you can't find it with magnet help. Karlo's has moved just a bit from the center of his shoulder, Kacie's is down her shoulder.
I think anyone that is using chips for ID, should practice w/ the scanner now and then to know exactly where the chip is and if it is working.

That and the dog conditioned to being approached and scanned just like you'd do in trial scenario.
Karlo isn't real keen on anyone approaching him with brushes or scanners...something we have to work on. Though he's got a really nice readable tattoo, I hope just showing his ear will be enough!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I just can't find anyone to do the tat! I'll drive all day if I can find someone to do it! Oh, and I just looked up the SV thing the other day, but maybe the site isn't up to date?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.