Intact vs. Neutered? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Intact vs. Neutered?

Has anyone noticed a difference between intact vs. neutered dogs? Or dogs neutered after 18 months? Decrease in drive, etc with loss of hormone? New pup won't be neutered until at LEAST 18 months, but flirting with the idea of skipping it altogether

Just to note, I have NO desire to breed.

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Seldom if ever see neutered dogs in the sport. I have not had any problem leaving my male intact, he'll be four soon(and I have no desire to breed either!)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No breeding here either & my soon to be 3 year old male is intact. This is my first dog so I have nothing to compare him against other than neutered males in classes we have attended.

The only thing that really stands out to me is alot of neutered males seem to not care for my boy. My trainer said she has seen that often with neutered males against intact ones. Not sure if there's any weight in the statment.

I think the decision to neuter is a personal choice...alot of things to consider.

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't realize your question was in the Schutzhund section. I read posts by "new posts"

Last edited by Courtney; 01-18-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Neutered males I work tend to be able take less pressure, longer to build confidence in an exercise, lower desirable aggression, higher likelihood they will slip into defense and avoidance. Neutered females don't seen to follow any pattern to me.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a female who was spayed a few months ago - no change in behaviour on or off the field.

She is still a strong female and possesses all the characteristics (good and bad... lol) that she had before being spayed.

elisabeth_00117 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have only worked one male and he is intact.

I noticed when I spayed Treue she lost her "edge" in protection. She was 4.5. Spaying Vala didn't change anything, but she was 7 when she was spayed. I didn't notice any change in Nike, but she was retired at that point. So, my experience with females has been mixed.

Personally I would only neuter a male if there became a medical reason to do so. I would leave a female intact at least through her early years of training and titling, but would eventually spay because I do worry about Pyometria.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never noticed a change in my females after spaying, except that I had one that used to fight with my older female when she was in heat--that stopped after spaying her.

I haven't ever worked a male in SchH, but in general I find that intact males have a bit more intensity than neutered males. Neutering doesn't seem to affect prey drive, but intact males seem to have an edge in their defense & fight drive. Neutered males are a bit easier to manage in the day-to-day for a pet owner, and they are definitely easier to groom.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
Neutered males I work tend to be able take less pressure, longer to build confidence in an exercise, lower desirable aggression, higher likelihood they will slip into defense and avoidance. Neutered females don't seen to follow any pattern to me.
Let me clarify that I was refering to males neutered before maturity. Males neutered after they have become adults, I'm told, change little. The foster that was neutered seem to become a bit more soft post neuter.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Neutered males are a bit easier to manage in the day-to-day for a pet owner, and they are definitely easier to groom.
Freestep can you clarify this statement?

Do you mean easier for a professional groomer to groom? Or easier for an owner to groom?
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I have never noticed a change in my females after spaying, except that I had one that used to fight with my older female when she was in heat--that stopped after spaying her.

I haven't ever worked a male in SchH, but in general I find that intact males have a bit more intensity than neutered males. Neutering doesn't seem to affect prey drive, but intact males seem to have an edge in their defense & fight drive. Neutered males are a bit easier to manage in the day-to-day for a pet owner, and they are definitely easier to groom.

Although I don't work my dog in Schutzhund, I'd like to add that as males get older there's many health issues they may come across while intact; we've seen many here in rescue.

Male intact seniors are prone to testicular cancers, perianal adenomas and prolapses, and they'll have enlarged anus as well.
It's difficult to cut out a perianal adenoma without losing muscle tone in that area, and of the intact senior dogs we've rescued, almost every single one (male or female) has had to be euthanized due to the high likelihood of some of these issues being malignancies. Even if we could have done surgery to prolong their life a little while, adopters aren't exactly looking for cancer ridden dogs.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.