Intact vs. Neutered? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
hunter, I'm not here to debate s/n.
I'm giving my experiences, and my experience has been, I've not seen any bone cancers, or prostate cancers. I've been at the vet clinic when dogs had issues with prostate and were still intact, in some cases fighting for their lives and losing, and I've seen more than my share of reproductive tract cancers.

Many folks seem to feel there's nothing wrong with leaving animals intact into their golden years, and I really feel it's irresponsible (of me anyway) to just say "go for it" without adding my experiences.
I think it's fairly safe to assume that a lot of older dogs that end up in shelters are they just because they have health problems. It's like saying there's a lot of sick people in hospitals. Shelters populations are skewed towards dogs with issues (especially on the older side) so it's hardly representative as an average sample.
pfitzpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Overall, more dogs are in shelters.
It doesn't negate the fact I've seen a lot of cancers only in older dogs with intact reproductive tracts.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

This is the Schutzhund forum and the question was about loss of drive in neutered males. The constant sermonizing about testicular cancer and over crowded animal shelters is not relevant to the question. Quite frankly it is pretty annoying as well.

To the op. We have a Mal in our club that is neutered and is still over the top in drive. However, he is a Mal and not a GSD so it is hard to tell how much less drive he has verses if he was intact.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have only worked one neutured male. As Hunter said, he slipped into defense very easy and really could only work in defense.

I have the only females in my schH club and they are intact and all the females in my SDA club are intact so I can't help you there.

As for if it kills drive or not. I don't think there is a way to test that.

Oh and for what it's worth, every dog I have ever had including child hood dogs have died of cancer and they were all altered. So don't let the fear of cancer change your mind. Think long and hard and decide if an intact dog is something you can handle and be responsible for. Good luck!
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VonKromeHaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
This is the Schutzhund forum and the question was about loss of drive in neutered males. The constant sermonizing about testicular cancer and over crowded animal shelters is not relevant to the question. Quite frankly it is pretty annoying as well.

To the op. We have a Mal in our club that is neutered and is still over the top in drive. However, he is a Mal and not a GSD so it is hard to tell how much less drive he has verses if he was intact.
^Good Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I have only worked one neutured male. As Hunter said, he slipped into defense very easy and really could only work in defense.

I have the only females in my schH club and they are intact and all the females in my SDA club are intact so I can't help you there.

As for if it kills drive or not. I don't think there is a way to test that.

Oh and for what it's worth, every dog I have ever had including child hood dogs have died of cancer and they were all altered. So don't let the fear of cancer change your mind. Think long and hard and decide if an intact dog is something you can handle and be responsible for. Good luck!
I worked a spayed APBT and there was little to no change in her drives and attitude. I feel it actually made her more aggressive in general.

I currently am working another spayed APBT and it has had no affect on her at all.

Personally, I will never neuter a male unless medically necessary as I do feel that it changes them, at least in the males that I see on a regular basis.

Actually, my vet breeds hunting dogs and he does not recommend neutering a male that you plan on working or hunting with!
VonKromeHaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonKromeHaus View Post
^Good Post!

I worked a spayed APBT and there was little to no change in her drives and attitude. I feel it actually made her more aggressive in general.

I currently am working another spayed APBT and it has had no affect on her at all.

Personally, I will never neuter a male unless medically necessary as I do feel that it changes them, at least in the males that I see on a regular basis.

Actually, my vet breeds hunting dogs and he does not recommend neutering a male that you plan on working or hunting with!
My Gf and I also have an APBT. A neutured male. He does'nt like to work though. We tried, all he likes to do is cuddle and play but mostly cuddle haha. He's a big baby. So all he does now is lay on the couch
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
^Good Post!
Thought totally unrelated to OP's male question, there has been some well accepted research that shows that bitches get more agressive after spaying. The hormone imbalance due to the lack of calming estrogen makes them tend aggressive.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
My brother (back in Ireland) works and breeds springer spaniels and a few years ago I asked him about neutering/spaying his dogs. He laughed at me.

I didn't ask again.

He only (rarely) breeds his best working females with proven good working males. The Sires owner gets first pick of the litter and the remaining are sold to members of his gun club (for a paltry fee around $100)

He and his club members are into the sport and work their dogs hard. They are proud of their dogs and know each dogs lineage, not so much in what AKC number/how many titles, but more how actually good the lineage was at working prey in the field.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Overall, more dogs are in shelters.
It doesn't negate the fact I've seen a lot of cancers only in older dogs with intact reproductive tracts.
Exactly, that's what I am saying, nobody sends a healthy (older) dog to a shelter.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
Banned

Um, yes they do.
There's billions of reasons why dogs end up in shelters.
Right now more than ever.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.