Intact vs. Neutered? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Smith View Post
Freestep can you clarify this statement?

Do you mean easier for a professional groomer to groom? Or easier for an owner to groom?
I'm guessing because their are no testicles, so easier for both? I have a long coated, THICK coated mixed dog that is neutered and thank heavens because when I do his sani-trim I am literally just poking my scissors into gobs of fur and cutting (once I get the majority of the hair off, then I clean it up and brush). There's no way I could trim him the same way if he were not neutered. I would have castrated him the first time!
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Male intact seniors are prone to testicular cancers, perianal adenomas and prolapses, and they'll have enlarged anus as well.
It's difficult to cut out a perianal adenoma without losing muscle tone in that area, and of the intact senior dogs we've rescued, almost every single one (male or female) has had to be euthanized due to the high likelihood of some of these issues being malignancies. Even if we could have done surgery to prolong their life a little while, adopters aren't exactly looking for cancer ridden dogs.
Do you see one intact male breed over another affected more?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

No, the ones we've had were, as best I can remember, a Border collie, Golden Retriever, a Golden lab, a Pointer, a Min Pin and some Chihuahuas; there's been a few others but every time we've had an intact senior, and I'm guessing, 10-12yrs., they've had reproductive tract (or mammary) cancers.
That's not to say spayed/neutered seniors are more 'healthy' per se, but they don't have reproductive tract cancers and their issues were less "severe" if you will, well, less life-threatening. I mean...fixable issues (not malignancies).

The biggest issue with altered seniors is either cardiac, skeletal or dental, and I'm guessing dental issues can lead to the other issues.
My (spayed) Libs is going on 11yrs. this spring; I've kept her teeth very clean, and she has no skeletal issues or heart issues

Let's just put it this way...any more, when we are asked to take seniors, it's not "do they have bad teeth", it's "are they altered".
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Depends on what you want to do with your dog...

Mines not neutered...I used to love going to dog parks...we go less and less now because I can't trust other males not to react to him (be it neutered or intact). Mostly other intact males, and just dogs with questionable temperaments seem to take issue with other males that are intact. So I don't trust the off-leash environment because if another male tries to dominate my dog or reacts to him, my dog will not take it lying down and then the big bad shepherd becomes the bad guy.

A small minority of dogs at my GSD club are neutered. We have plenty that don't like other males, gets annoying because their owners want the same rights as those of us with friendly males. They like to tell US to get away from their dogs even though THEIR dogs are the problem.

So although some people will tell you that you will have more problems with neutered males...I've seen that intact males are the bigger issue. I'm also not one to neuter my dog just because other dogs react to him...so he'll never be neutered. I've just adjusted my visits and instead of going to the dog park we go to a regular county park where there are much less dogs and due to me having off lead control I can be relaxed there.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

Although I don't work my dog in Schutzhund, I'd like to add that as males get older there's many health issues they may come across while intact; we've seen many here in rescue.

Male intact seniors are prone to testicular cancers, perianal adenomas and prolapses, and they'll have enlarged anus as well.
It's difficult to cut out a perianal adenoma without losing muscle tone in that area, and of the intact senior dogs we've rescued, almost every single one (male or female) has had to be euthanized due to the high likelihood of some of these issues being malignancies. Even if we could have done surgery to prolong their life a little while, adopters aren't exactly looking for cancer ridden dogs.
On the flip side, incidence of prostate and bone cancer rise dramatically upon neutering. Current cutting edge science says don't neuter unless there is a medical/pop control need... Prostate & bone cancers are death sentences. Testicular cancer is easily dealt with when caught early, and easy to catch early.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

hunter, I'm not here to debate s/n.
I'm giving my experiences, and my experience has been, I've not seen any bone cancers, or prostate cancers. I've been at the vet clinic when dogs had issues with prostate and were still intact, in some cases fighting for their lives and losing, and I've seen more than my share of reproductive tract cancers.

Many folks seem to feel there's nothing wrong with leaving animals intact into their golden years, and I really feel it's irresponsible (of me anyway) to just say "go for it" without adding my experiences.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I'm guessing because their are no testicles, so easier for both? I have a long coated, THICK coated mixed dog that is neutered and thank heavens because when I do his sani-trim I am literally just poking my scissors into gobs of fur and cutting (once I get the majority of the hair off, then I clean it up and brush). There's no way I could trim him the same way if he were not neutered. I would have castrated him the first time!
All of my males have stock coats (Husky, GS and Chi/Pom mix), and I have never had a problem grooming them intact or not, so I just thought it was a wierd statement.

Then I thought, maybe for professional groomers? But then show dogs are always intact, and there doesn't seem to be any issues there. And for my personal dog, he did all his health testing with no sedation, so he would definitely accept a groomer handling. But maybe most intact dogs don't behave at the groomers??

Really I just like grooming my own dogs and I don't find it harder to groom my intact GS vs my other two who were neutered (Husky 6mo, Chi/Pom 2 years)....

So, yeah sorry to go off track - just thought it was a wierd statement LOL

Last edited by N Smith; 01-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #18 (permalink)

I could be way off, but that's what came to mind. However I'm talking about trimming these 8 inches of butt fluff, not a stock coated GSD (my GSDs never go to the groomer, just normal bathing and brushing).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Smith View Post
Then I thought, maybe for professional groomers?
Freestep IS a professional groomer, so I would assume that's what she meant.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
No, the ones we've had were, as best I can remember, a Border collie, Golden Retriever, a Golden lab, a Pointer, a Min Pin and some Chihuahuas
Sorry, I know this is totally off topic...but I can't help myself, since this is a personal pet peeve. There is no such thing as a Golden Labrador Retriever. The breed comes in Black, Yellow or Chocolate. The Yellow color can be a pale yellow that is almost white, or it can be a much darker yellow that is golden (or even darker, almost red). But they are ALL Yellow Labrador Retrievers. Not Golden Labrador Retrievers.

Sorry! Carry on.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.