What percentage of GSD owners do Schh? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default What percentage of GSD owners do Schh?

I just got to thinking about how the gsd is the second most registered breed in the USA. But, when I am out and about socializing my dogs, I rarely see another gsd. We are always "odd man out"!

So, I was hoping when we went to OG INDY that we would see a ton of dogs. Unfortunately, just a few, maybe 30 dogs attended.

JUst curious as to what percentage of owners actually particpate in the sport..or is it just mainly for those wanting to title dogs for breeding?

As a secondary question..what percentage of gsd's are working line vs show line? I feel like it is way more show line.

Just a few random questions, as my feet got cold playing with the dogs and we came in to warm up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

We just started participating in Schh, no intentions of breeding. Started out as me wanting to do something that she'd would enjoy more than a class, now a couple months in I'm hooked. She's a backyard line but doing my homework for when it's time to bring home a working line.

Oddly enough my club is dominated by Giant Schnauzers, there's only two GSDs and I rarely see any when I'm out with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Courtney M.
Gaia-GSD 03/09/2012
Cuervo vom Kiebitzende 07/01/2013
gaia_bear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think if it wasn't so expensive and time consuming lots more people would do it. Mine qualified, but I chose to do agility instead. I'm not 100% sure what mine is, but I "believe" she comes from a working line and show line...I think she is 50/50. She has the look of the show line(from what I've been told) and the personality and prey drive are definitely working line, which is why I believe she qualified for schutzhund to begin with. When I took her for her evaluation they did not think she was going to qualify based on her looks...they pretty much said that she didn't look to have any german lines in her, etc. Boy did they change their minds when she got out there....the trainer was pleasantly surprised and I was very proud
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

In my area, only about 4 of us do SchH and we all go to different clubs! I know of several local GSD owners who have no clue what SchH even is.
Having dogs that are cut out for it makes it even harder...out of my 3 GSD's, only one has what it takes.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

In my experience more people are participating for the fun of it (or earning titles) than for breeding. I know way more people that don't breed than those who do.

I think in the USA a very small percentage of GSD owners do SchH. I mean, these days when I go to an event I can name almost every person there and I haven't been doing this long. It's a small, tight-knit community even though the availability of training is very spread out across the nation.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would think that less than 5 -7% of GSD litters registered with AKC are Euro bred to SV or even partially SV standards and probably not even half of those get schutzhund trained....

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

My obedience trainer's socialization group has at least 16 GSDs who regularly attend to play together in and open field Saturday mornings (out of about 40 total dogs in the group, which also includes a few Malinois other working breeds). All have pretty good basic obedience training. Exactly zero do Schutzhund--or any other competitive trials. They are all happy, well-adjusted family dogs. We spend a lot of time with our dogs, enjoying them--just in a different way.
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the biggest problem in doing IPO/Schutzhund is the scarcity of

Clubs
Helper/Decoys
GOOD Helper/Decoys

and the overbundance of ego/drama/BS in clubs

Lee

wolfstraum.net

wolfstraum is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think the percentage of GSDs that do Schutzhund is so low it would not even reach 1%. I have barely even met anyone who even knows what it is. (out side of those who I know who are active participants).
robk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I think the percentage of GSDs that do Schutzhund is so low it would not even reach 1%. I have barely even met anyone who even knows what it is. (out side of those who I know who are active participants).
Using logical thinking:
A reputable breeder uses dogs that are titled in schh
Very few owners/breeders do schh
thus, the majority of titled dogs must be imported

Right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.