What percentage of GSD owners do Schh? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Crowned Member

I would imagine 1% or less. Think about it...GSD's are one of the most popular breeds in country. I live in a city with a population of about 250,000.....500,000 for the entire county............and there are THREE of us in the county that do SchH (in another county altogether!)....and I've probably seen 50 to 100 GSD's in my area between rescue work, people I meet with GSD's, and going to the OB clubs...........so there must be way more than that in households.

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

It used to be that AKC published stats on numbers of litters registered, number of dogs registered....when GSDs were in 4th place, there were 49,000 litters...........about 120,000 individual registrations.....I remember this because of doing the math for the GSD linked revenue for AKC....

49000 litters. Average 5 pups a litter. 250,000 GSDs bred in one year....less than half were advanced to individual registration. Pet people don't send them in often.....Figure what - to be generous maybe 250-300 breeders of Euro show/working dogs in the US.....even at 5 litters per year average - 1500 out of 49,000 litters - the rest - yes BYB/Commercial puppy mills and another small percentage of ASL.....

There are maybe 300 IPO clubs in three organizations - DVG, USCA and GSDCA-WDA....from trial results, there are alot of US Kennel names listed....probably a third of the total - so still alot of imported dogs in the sport....but the US kennel names are showing up more and more.... One thing is that many more experienced and competitive people import young started dogs and do not want to raise puppies....few American breeders routinely grow out pups to sell for the sport...

Lee

Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Lynx, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, Danger RH & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
They are in back yards across America. People are unable to take them anywhere because the are too big, too aggressive and too unruly to be hassled with.
My dogs are not too big, too agressive, and too unruly to take out. I have 5 acres and I keep them home for their own protection. I can't walk in this area too many lose dogs and coyotes. When we do take them out is somewhere away from people and dogs, not places where we will run into others not because I'm afraid of how my dogs will react but because of how others react when they see my dogs.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to laukaouda
Ha! I should have known that I'd be led back to this site when I googled, "percentage people schutzhund 3." I was wondering how many HOT get to their IPO3. Per trial we seem to get 9-10 BHs, 3-4 IPO1s and then maybe 1-2 IPO2 and IPO3. Most people disappear into the schutzhund abyss after the BH.

I don't think what I understood about Schutzhund is that it not a hobby, it is a passion, and a way of life. It is expensive, time consuming, frustrating and political.

In California most working breeders are asking $2 - $3k for a well bred pup. I'd say $5-$8k for a well balanced, male with foundation work done.

We also typically drive 100 - 200 miles to spend 15-20 minutes on the field with our helper. Obedience and tracking lessons vary between $35 - $75 a session. Club annual dues are around $150 - $350 plus club/helper fees $20-$30. Mostly you are on your own, tracking in the mud, doing OB in the park, dreaming about the perfect dumbbell retrieve and back transport.

Between club fees, gas, helper fees, competition classes, seminars, USA fees, elbows, hips, premium food, supplements, trial costs, don't get me started on vet cost. Yeah it is an obsession. Two weekends ago I got my second HOT IPO3 and I'm already thinking about the next trial, what to do differently with the next pups, researching lines in languages I don't understand, saving money and praying the obsession doesn't leave me.

The Phantom aka Ember v. Wildhaus
HOT CGC SCH3, IPO3

SG Lycan vom Haus Tyson
HOT CGC, IPO3

Way out West (California)

TRACK it, TRAIN it, BITE it.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 PM

I think most are backyard or backard/show, then second most being show lines and least common being working lines. I personally have a working line GSD, and I do not compete in schutzhund. I've considered it, but couldnt find a good schutzhund club. Plus I gotta work on his dog aggression first anyway. My friend has a backyard one that looks and acts like a show line imo. I don't see a huge amount of GSDs out and about nor boarding at my clinic. Most of our GSD boarders are backyards or backyards that look like show lines. I've seen maybe 2 or 3 working lines (one being a police dog).
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:24 PM
Crowned Member

I am on a local GSD fb page and I'd say out of 600+ members 15 of us do IPO, and only a few actually trial and title their dogs.
I see vids posted of dogs biting sleeve but there isn't any real foundation being laid out. Nobody seems to track other than the few of us that trial. And seldom do they ever post any vids or photo's of obedience. Just the jumping in a helpers face or getting a sleeve fed to them or a semi long bite.
Though, on this side of the state that the page is focused on, there are no clubs. We have to travel at least an hour for good training....and the clubs that are good are at capacity.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Master Member

It is interesting to see some perspective on how few GSD owners and breeders actually do IPO. Contrast that to the numbers of folks that complain that IPO is ruining the GSD and the working ability of the breed. Ironic, isn't it?

Jim
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Jim.

SchH/IPO is expensive, time consuming and requires a huge commitment by the handlers. The latter, IMO, is what most people lack. Of course the distances many have to travel to get good helper work doesn't help along with the helpers that make a living off of their club members. Mostly, though, people don't want to spend the time nor do the work. So, how many people are actually training and trialing (both HOT and not HOT)? Maybe 5000 in the whole country. Of course there are those doing other protection sports so lets be generous and increase the amount to 6000. That is a pretty small percentage when compared to all of the GSD owners.

Lisa Clark

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) BH B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Knighted Member

2 of the things laukaouda mentioned are what I think thins people out around here. How much you actually are on your own and finding places for tracking. If I couldn't bring my dog to work, I don't know that I'd stick with it.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 11:41 AM
Crowned Member

My major cost is the drive to club (some 150 miles) once a week. Club dues are pretty reasonable and they include DVG dues. At the club I am with, we are not charged for the helper's work/time. A club member runs down tracking fields for us and they are usually exceptional. Here, I can go down to the fairgounds to track. It wouldn't work with more people but for me, the fairgrounds are fine.
Some people stop with a BH for a variety of reasons - time, health of the dog or handler. Others go on not to a full IPO but to work with things like tracking which their dog likes, excells at and can physically do. With the change in the DVG to allow people to compete in different segments of IPO rather than the full range at every trial, you may see more people competing. (but not necessarily to a full IPO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page