What percentage of GSD owners do Schh? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are very few handler owned/trained (HOT) and even less breeder/handler owned/trained dogs (BHOT) in the USA. I would wager that the majority of show lines are sent to Germany to be titled or are imported titled; especially showline females. Working dogs are not exempt either - many are sent away to trainers for titling or are imported with titles. It is difficult, expensive, and time consuming to title a dog yourself. I would love if there was a placing for HOT/BHOT dogs at the sieger shows - would be interesting to see which dogs place under that criteria.

A lot of breeders find it MUCH easier to ship a dog away for titling. This is no big secret, but a lot of the buying public don't realize that there are two vastly different ways to get a title. Buy your titles or do it yourself. To me, it really matters if a breeder titles their own dogs. Find breeders that title, train their own dogs. Breeders that keep/train/title their own progeny to BHOT status. Breeders that keep generations of stock and can follow the motherline carefully through generations. Those are the types of breeders I prefer to support because they put in the necessary time/effort into doing it right. When I see a kennel with 10 females from 10 different kennels, all with imported/bought titles, and no progeny carrying the kennel name kept back - I have misgivings about that breeder.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would say maybe 5% and that could be high in this country. Lack of clubs, travel distance, hired sleeves, costs, and the fact that you need a vastly different dog than the majority of puppies born. Also dog sport is looked at differently over here. It is just another sport that people happen to do with dogs (instead of horses, bats, balls, etc).

I remember reading some where that in Germany 75% of the puppies born are show lines. Maybe 5-10% are working lines and the rest are mixes of the two.

B/HOT is a lot of work. IMO it is worth that work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think that the assumption is wrong that most dogs are either working or show. Most are back yard bred. I can open my newspaper right now and there is probably 5 litters of GSDs for sale. Multiply this across every newspaper or Craigslist type publication accross the country and we are swamped. the pet type dogs being purchased by people who have never even heard of a reputable breeder let alone Schutzhund. I think 1 % is too high a percentage.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I think that the assumption is wrong that most dogs are either working or show. Most are back yard bred. I can open my newspaper right now and there is probably 5 litters of GSDs for sale. Multiply this across every newspaper or Craigslist type publication accross the country and we are swamped. the pet type dogs being purchased by people who have never even heard of a reputable breeder let alone Schutzhund. I think 1 % is too high a percentage.
I am afraid you are correct! But, where are they all and what are they doing? I rarely see a gsd when I am out, rarely at AKC OB/RAlly events, and just a few at the puppy school I help at..and we have 40 puppies a weekend. (mostly labra-doodles...ugh) Hmm. maybe why so many in rescue..nobody trains em or maybe they are too weak-nerved to even do anything! Some must be OK or they wouldnt continually be so popular.

One of the great seven mysteries of the world!

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
ponyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They are in back yards across America. People are unable to take them anywhere because the are too big, too aggressive and too unruly to be hassled with.

Last edited by robk; 12-29-2012 at 08:00 PM.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

now now, nothing wrong with backyard dawgs!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
They are in back yards across America. People are unable to take them anywhere because the are too big, too aggressive and too unruly to be hassled with.
unfortunately this is very very true.
"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear."
4TheDawgies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would also say the percentage is very low for SchH.. And that most of the GSD's bred today in this country, working/show/american lines end up in strictly pet homes where their just pets.. and maybe even antoher small percentage of that that actually do AKC ob, agility, herding, etc.

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, Bh, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
now now, nothing wrong with backyard dawgs!
That is one back yard I don't want to roam into with ill intentions!

wink-_-wink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyfarm View Post
Using logical thinking:
A reputable breeder uses dogs that are titled in schh
Very few owners/breeders do schh
thus, the majority of titled dogs must be imported

Right?
With breeding the way it is in this country, I'd wager an educated guess that the majority of the schutzhund dogs are coming from a very tiny percentage of good breeders breeding dogs with what it takes.

The rest are backyard dogs who never go to puppy class, much less obedience class, and who are kept in houses and backyards as pets. I can not think of a single person I know that is a normal pet owner that has any interest in going to obedience class, much less any kind of sport - even a fun one. They don't seem to understand the point of it, and don't have an interest in anything other than having a couch pet. I'm not saying there is anything at all wrong with that, right now all mine are is pets. But you have to consider the average person vs the average person on THIS kind of forum. A dog is a pet to them, that's it.

I don't agree that all GSD's that aren't out doing sports and aren't well bred are unruly, aggressive, etc and therefore are left in the backyard. Honestly, most of the people I KNOW with GSD's don't do anything with them, there is a variety of breeding in the mix, and they are all well adjusted pets. That is not to say they are schutzhund material, but the reason you aren't seeing them is because they are pets, not because they are unmanageable beasts who can't be taken out into public.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.