A Question about the purpose and intent of ScH? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Some people have to comment on everything, even when it is obvious they don't know a lot about the subject.
I think a mammal protecting their young is pretty consistent with all animals....not sure that would be a drive.
So cliffson1, I guess you are right about some folks commenting when they don't know a lot - I thought that I heard somewhere that a "drive" was an instinctive behavior and just assumed that a dog protecting it's young was just that - an instinctive behavior. Maybe not, though.

So since I obviously don't know much about "drives" (hence my original question about them and how they relate to a dog's behavior); I admittedly can't understand your comment above about the dog's behavior i asked about - which "drive" would a dog defending it's young would represent?

Just to be clear - what "drive" would this behavior represent?

I am asking your personal opinion (or anybody else's as well) about a topic that you have discussed before in this forum - I think.

Is a "drive" NOT an instinctive behavior, or is protecting it's young not evidence of some drive or other?
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Whiteshepherds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northeastern Connecticut
Posts: 3,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
or is protecting it's young not evidence of some drive or other?
Maternal instinct is what makes the dog want to protect her young. If she actually has to protect them that's when the drive kicks in? (guessing )
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #63 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Maternal instinct is what makes the dog want to protect her young. If she actually has to protect them that's when the drive kicks in? (guessing )

Maybe "maternal drive"? Heh! Heh!

or "paternal drive" for the daddy!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 AM   #64 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Some people have to comment on everything, even when it is obvious they don't know a lot about the subject.
I think a mammal protecting their young is pretty consistent with all animals....not sure that would be a drive.
Mammals protecting their young is extremely intense, I'm not sure what drive it'd be either, but it's best to not mess with it

At to not knowing a lot about something, how do you think we'll learn if not discussion?

Within the next year or so, we plan to have a pup from a very good breeder that we'll be able to work with, and this is a very interesting discussion to me. I'd like to know that more goes on in Sch. these days than dogs running around playing with sleeves, which has been cod's observations as well

Last edited by msvette2u; 12-18-2012 at 02:31 AM.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
cliffson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,278
Default

@Msvette....my first comment was not directed at anyone specifically, but the second comment about drives and mammals was really in response to what was posed by Codmaster....and as I stated I really am NOT sure if maternal instinct would be considered a drive.....nothing more, nothing less. There is a lot about this breed that I am not as knowledgable about as I would like, I tend to not venture opinions in those areas, though sometimes I will ask questions for more clarification.
I think Codmaster was trying to get a greater understanding of this aspect of the sport, and I am sure there are plenty of people on this forum who can and did give him good info. I agree a lot of people learn from these forums and that is good.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jeff. County, NY
Posts: 9,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
If a ScH dog is truly being trained in protection - why would the training be so sleeve oriented to the point where the dog (in the local club that i am in now) is trained to be pretty much oriented to the sleeve (even when the helper sheds the sleeve and the dog then runs off the field or sometimes just carries it around the field)?

Is it simply more of a game now than true protection work?

Would a ScH trained dog be more (or less if the perp doesn't have a sleeve on) or less likely to really protect the owner?

I am assuming with this question that the dog itself has the courage to fight and is not shy or soft or a spook, of course.



I have recently returned to ScH after an absence from it for over 25 years and it just seems much much different. I.E. no temperament test of new dogs for one thing to begin the bite work
Lemme give you one of the reasons.

In Germany SchH has a tough time to survive and the public looks at SchH dogs as attack dogs, even though there has never been an incident of a SchH dog going after people in Germany, at least not that I am aware of.
BSL is very, very, very much alive in Germany and a lot of people are constantly questioning why the GSD is not on the list. If you have a "list dog" like a pit bull, depending on where you live, you WILL pay up to a 1000 Euros a year in dog tax to keep that dog (you have to pay dog tax to keep a dog in Germany).

So the clubs are trying to show that the dogs are not attack dogs, that they are sleeve oriented and that the public is safe from these "unstable Monsters". That training methods are no longer what they used to be, because Schutzhund used to be a hard and brutal sport and therefor does not have a very good reputation with rescuers and that while there are still oldtimers out there training with compulsion, you can't win that way and you have to have a happy dog in order to survive the new system.

Public pressure, whether we like it or not. IS a reason, why dogs are sleeve oriented these days.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 AM   #67 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Lemme give you one of the reasons.

In Germany SchH has a tough time to survive and the public looks at SchH dogs as attack dogs, even though there has never been an incident of a SchH dog going after people in Germany, at least not that I am aware of.
BSL is very, very, very much alive in Germany and a lot of people are constantly questioning why the GSD is not on the list. If you have a "list dog" like a pit bull, depending on where you live, you WILL pay up to a 1000 Euros a year in dog tax to keep that dog (you have to pay dog tax to keep a dog in Germany).

So the clubs are trying to show that the dogs are not attack dogs, that they are sleeve oriented and that the public is safe from these "unstable Monsters". That training methods are no longer what they used to be, because Schutzhund used to be a hard and brutal sport and therefor does not have a very good reputation with rescuers and that while there are still oldtimers out there training with compulsion, you can't win that way and you have to have a happy dog in order to survive the new system.

Public pressure, whether we like it or not. IS a reason, why dogs are sleeve oriented these days.
This was my understanding as well..For the same reasons we have to now say "go" on the escape bite.


Also, in reply to some other comments...As a newbie in the sport, I am not afraid to say that I have just been playing around in Schutzhund with my dog. I don't have the "right" dog for the sport. Does that mean that I shouldn't get the chance to try it with him? I'm not breeding him... If we had both been "washed out" like people here have stated that we should, then there would be plenty of people like me and Aiden who wouldn't be interested in or even have a chance at the training at all. How many new people are coming into Schutzhund with the "right" dog right off the bat? That hardly seems fair to me.
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #68 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,954
Default

I am kind of in the same situation as Alexis. For me Schutzhund is something fun to do with my dog. There are three phases to the sport and all three phases bring its own challenges. My dog is a good dog but I doubt he will ever be a national level competitor and he will probably never be bred. He has a little more defense in him and is a little less equipment oriented than most dogs on the field but we are not really training for "real" protection. We are training to pass a schutzhund trial.

Schutzhund has given us a structured environment to train in and a goal to train towards. It has helped me learn how to communicate with my dog, understand what motivates him and has helped to develop trust between the two of us. Yes I differently trust him more because I have learned where his thresholds are. I also know he will stick a down and he will recall on command.

For me schutzhund isn't about whether or not the dogs of today are the same as the dogs of yesterday. Or if the training today is the same as the training of yesterday. I wasn't around back then. But I am here now and my dog and I are enjoying where we are together.
__________________
Honor Von Kaltwasser BH aka "Ruger"
http://www.working-dog.eu/dogs-detai...von-Kaltwasser
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #69 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GatorDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I am kind of in the same situation as Alexis. For me Schutzhund is something fun to do with my dog. There are three phases to the sport and all three phases bring its own challenges. My dog is a good dog but I doubt he will ever be a national level competitor and he will probably never be bred. He has a little more defense in him and is a little less equipment oriented than most dogs on the field but we are not really training for "real" protection. We are training to pass a schutzhund trial.

Schutzhund has given us a structured environment to train in and a goal to train towards. It has helped me learn how to communicate with my dog, understand what motivates him and has helped to develop trust between the two of us. Yes I differently trust him more because I have learned where his thresholds are. I also know he will stick a down and he will recall on command.

For me schutzhund isn't about whether or not the dogs of today are the same as the dogs of yesterday. Or if the training today is the same as the training of yesterday. I wasn't around back then. But I am here now and my dog and I are enjoying where we are together.
We think the same way My dog isn't exactly equipment oriented either, but I'm not trying to train him for personal protection..hes my pet first and I enjoy training with him.


Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
__________________
-Alexis
Aiden vom HausDaka - IPO3x2, FH, CGC, TT
Carma vom Oz Haus - BH
Boaz von der Quellwasser - little man in training!


http://vomfeuergarten.weebly.com/
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #70 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
cliffson1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,278
Default

@Gator and Robt.....there is nothing wrong with what you guys are doing....plenty of club level people having good times. I have a small Sunday club that is comprised of mainly former AKC obedience and show people that have left the ASL dogs and have WGSL and pups from WL. These people are my age, are interested in titling a dog, but are there for the fun and the experience. They trust me and I take it at there speed and there dogs speed. Nothing wrong whatsoever with that....actually one of them is president of the South Jersey GSDCA and they are really happy to do some serious work and learn a lot. They constantly tell me how they didn't realize how much they didn't know about training. Some of these people have put CDX and UD on dogs and some have finished AKC champions. But they are having fun, learning, and definitely going back to breed club with positive info about the sport. Most of these people will only ever do club titles, but hey that's alright. For my dogs it's socialization as they get to work weekly with police....my point is certainly there are places for folks like you in the breed and sport if you and your dog commit.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com