A Question about the purpose and intent of ScH? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If the trials are not testing the dogs then shame on the helpers, shame on the judges and shame on the clubs that allow this in their club.

YES, I HATE that passive, neutral nonsense that some of the judges are really pushing for in the blind. For some reason they got it in their heads that actually noticing that the dog is there is helping the dog.

I agree. I train GSD and do IPO because that just happens to be what is the most easily available. I do other stuff with my dogs because it is fun. I like to do well, but won't change how I train and stop doing the other stuff I enjoy doing with my dogs just for points. Plus, I don't feel you should have to.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #32 (permalink)

Perhaps we could start a new topic to help the newbies understand all the aspects of the protection. I know I would find this helpful as it has already been stated very difficult to find a knowlegeable helper and as a newbie it is difficult to understand all the different aspects. I realize that approaches vary for each dog but to have a basic understanding would be very helpful like protection 101

Laurel
lsatov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #33 (permalink)

Read Der Schutzhund by Helmut Raiser. That is probably one of the best places to start.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good foundation book Lisa recommended.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Lets see some examples of "good" helper work and what in your opinion is good or correct about them, if any are available to public on youtube...
ayoitzrimz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Not many put up video's on the net because the reason for a particular training session many not be clear to the viewer(thus critiques are inaccurate).
This helper/decoy puts up vids often: Troy Seaton - YouTube
And Melanie does too, I enjoy watching Melanie work dogs!
Melanie Howe - YouTube
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #37 (permalink)

It's hard for me to find videos because they just don't translate well. I've had some of my dogs' best sessions recorded but when I go back and watch I'm like "meh...." The video doesn't really communicate the context (what is being worked on, why, where the dog was previously, how much improvement you are seeing, etc).

One example I can think of I'm not going to post because the guy doing the helperwork is not a member here so I don't think it's fair to toss him to the wolves, but I remember sharing the video a while back on facebook and got a few compliments on his work. We were training a young dog to start the hold and bark, it was the dog's first session doing hold and bark and the second time I sent him, the helper had him bark 34 times before he got a bite, in contrast to a lot of dogs staring a hold and bark that are getting bites ever 4 or 5 barks. I just remember a few people complimented the work because the helper was not just feeding bites but building the frustration and aggression in the dog and capping it with a bite.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks Lies, Jane...

I completely understand not wanting to throw non-members to the wolves... and I've seen first hand what happens here when someone posts a video and the harpies chime in...

hmmmm I do want to see and learn more as I am a beginning helper learning the ropes so to speak... would any of you consider PMing me with Youtube links? You really have no reason to go out of your way, but I would very much appreciate different opinions etc. So I will GLADLY accept PMs of videos that you would consider good and proper, etc... No need to reply to this post, just feel free to throw PM's my way Thanks!!
ayoitzrimz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #39 (permalink)

Someone you might talk to about getting more training would be Frank Phillips. I know he isn't close, but a lot closer than the other helpers I would recommend. He did a helper seminar for us after our trial (both training and trial) and he had some excellent ideas for specific problems. Maybe try to see about meeting he and Steve Rommard sometime for a weekend when they are training together.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #40 (permalink)

Something else you have to consider. While we could send you videos, without seeing what the helper is seeing you will not understand why certain things are being done. Most of the time you really need to be in front of the dog. You also need to feel the dog on the sleeve. People like Anne can tell you what she would do, but unless you see what she sees or feel what she feels much of it will not help you. You will just be going through the actions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.