A Question about the purpose and intent of ScH? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

simple things in language even -- the first time I heard it I had no idea what they were talking about -- the sleeve was referred to as "the pillow" , since then have heard it a few times --
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Our club does a temperament test when new dogs come out. It isn't a specific test. We just watch the dog/puppy interact with the club members, around other dogs, and then do some other testing. If more needs to be done then the tester isn't very good.

This is what they did with my dog and they were able to give me answers as soon as the evaluation was over. Mine was the last one, so I was able to see some really good dogs.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As someone who has trained with police since 1971, and been a policek9 officer, and still train with police, this is a very interesting thread. One thing is for sure, things are a lot different from what they used to be.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I wish IPO had more components of the KNPV style of training and trialing. Though the dogs and handlers that aren't mentally or physically able to do the exercises will wash out fairly early.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I wish IPO had more components of the KNPV style of training and trialing. Though the dogs and handlers that aren't mentally or physically able to do the exercises will wash out fairly early.
I don't see this as a bad thing...?
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

exactly(though handlers with physical issues shouldn't be dismissed due to their limitations)
KNPV is more physical for both however.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
That's what it seems like takes place, at least the club/s local to me.
I can't see how this applies to real life scenarios. It seems like a game that the dog likes, so they do it.
Again I can't answer this because I don't believe I train with such a club (well maybe a few people are just doing it "for fun" but overall the philosophy of the club and how the helpers are working is *not* just playing a tug game). I take it seriously and have done some "double blind" scenarios with my dog at various clubs I've trained with. He's been worked on sleeves (right, left, and both at once), bite suits, nothing at all (agitation work and no biting), worked indoors, tossed around in hay, finding a helper in the woods, helper agitating him in the vehicle, having to go over obstacles to get to the helper, etc. We don't always train with a sleeve and very rarely train trial exercises (only right before a trial and his last SchH trial was Nov 2011). I've done a lot of SDA protection with my dog as well, haven't done much lately but about a year and a half ago that's *all* I was doing with my dog. We did a decoy certification seminar and he was one of the dogs used on the decoys being tested and ended up getting worked by seven different people on a very hot day because the other dog we brought (a national level SchH3 dog) was barking at a pile of sleeves and ignoring a frontal attack from the decoy who was trying to work him.

For some people all they want is a "game". I don't see the point in that and that's not how I train or have helpers work my dog but it's a free country so I guess if that's how people want the sport to be, there's nothing I can do about that.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No, unfortunately we can only control what we do, but when we can't find helpers to work our dogs that know how to actually work our dogs and not play games, it does get discouraging.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

mycobrarcr, most of the seminars out there are to train trial helpers. That is the purpose of the USCA helper program. The passive helper nonsense is fairly new. Stupid since a person being held by an aggressive barking would not be staring into space.

Anyhow, I don't know what part of the country you are in, but the helper is there to help the judge test the dogs and not to help the dogs (well, unless we are talking........ no, I'll be good) pass. Our club has a National level helper (actually there are two of them only 20 miles apart for us to work on) who has out run dogs on the escape and no judge at any of the events he has worked (club trials up to Nationals) has told him that he is too fast and needs to slow down or that his stick hits need to be softer. Most of the judges want to hear those stick hits and have no problems failing the dogs that don't have enough drive to catch him on the escape. Yes, the helpers need to be fair and most hate having a dog do badly because they themselves made a mistake, but they, at least the ones I know, are not out there to make it easy on the dogs.

As far as training work, clubs need be willing to bring in helpers and many helpers need to get over their egos and realize that there actually might be someone out there that can teach them something.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
mycobrarcr, most of the seminars out there are to train trial helpers. That is the purpose of the USCA helper program. The passive helper nonsense is fairly new. Stupid since a person being held by an aggressive barking would not be staring into space.

Anyhow, I don't know what part of the country you are in, but the helper is there to help the judge test the dogs and not to help the dogs (well, unless we are talking........ no, I'll be good) pass. Our club has a National level helper (actually there are two of them only 20 miles apart for us to work on) who has out run dogs on the escape and no judge at any of the events he has worked (club trials up to Nationals) has told him that he is too fast and needs to slow down or that his stick hits need to be softer. Most of the judges want to hear those stick hits and have no problems failing the dogs that don't have enough drive to catch him on the escape. Yes, the helpers need to be fair and most hate having a dog do badly because they themselves made a mistake, but they, at least the ones I know, are not out there to make it easy on the dogs.

As far as training work, clubs need be willing to bring in helpers and many helpers need to get over their egos and realize that there actually might be someone out there that can teach them something.

Lisa, I know that the seminars are for the trial helper, but trials are meant to test the dogs. What kind of test is standing there like a statue while a dog barks? I don't understand it.

I have traveled and worked with different people to try and get better. I truly love helper work and want to be the best helper around. I have worked PPD's as well as some SDA dogs and enjoy the dogs that push me. That make me work that I feel like I am really in a fight with. I hear many people claim to work there dogs this way but when I visit I see a very different picture (not implying you, just in general). I have now gotten to the point where I could care less if my dog is a 300 point dog as long as the dog does what I ask when I ask with no hesitation. I will continue to trial but I will also still do hidden sleeve work, suit work, muzzle work, and work dogs in every situation I can dream up. For me thats the fun stuff.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.