IPO Tracking Training - Vongalanberg Kai - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnershigh108 View Post
nice video. IM currently teaching my dog some tracking but when she gets on the scent its off to the races. Is it better to slow down like this? Im not in it for competitions just to keep her mind/nose active and busy. She rarely misses the track and if I make a sharp turn she'l pass it up but realize she's off and come around and pick the track back up.
That's why slow and methodical is better
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Well being a Schutzhund forum, yes, this is pretty much textbook Schutzhund tracking.

gotcha
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Well being a Schutzhund forum, yes, this is pretty much textbook Schutzhund tracking.

Yes, what she said. I also do AKC style tracking with my retired SchH dog.. definitely different, but for SchH yes we strive for that.
Novak v. d. Alte Baum, BH
Merlin v. Vereinigte Stolz (In Training)
Lynn_P is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

It may not be the "best" or the most practical form of tracking but the dog is demonstrating excellent behavior, drive, training....I see SchH tracking as a combination of a dog having the right drive for tracking (without being hectic) and the drive to track long relatively boring tracks and also the amount of training to get such precise footstep tracking, consistent pace, article indications, etc. It's a combination of what the dog brings to the table and how you shape and mold it. I like the dog in the video because he is calm and methodical yet maintains drive and a nice pace. He is tracking each footstep (and picking up the bait) but not frantically casting around. His tail just hangs and his body language shows focus without leaking drive. I also think it's interesting the handler is only about 10 feet back. I see a lot of people try to work down the line with their dog way too soon, now I don't feel like I'm behind if I'm only tracking 10-15' back during training. Finally I liked how the dog puts his nose right into the track at the flag and after the articles.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The dog also has someone filming him, and is never distracted by that.
Though not sure how close the camera person is to the team.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Excellent track!! Definitely a V. Good consistent speed through out. I would have liked to have seen his restart after the first article to be a bit calmer (he jumps up and then drops his head). The rest are correct. You can see he air scents the one article because his head comes up a bit towards the latter part of the track. He also gets a tiny bit hectic there. Those few things would put him at either a 98 or 99, but not a 100.

Love the tracking conditions.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Nice.. we all strive for this type of tracking in our dogs.
No kidding!

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
It may not be the "best" or the most practical form of tracking but the dog is demonstrating excellent behavior, drive, training....I see SchH tracking as a combination of a dog having the right drive for tracking (without being hectic) and the drive to track long relatively boring tracks and also the amount of training to get such precise footstep tracking, consistent pace, article indications, etc. It's a combination of what the dog brings to the table and how you shape and mold it. I like the dog in the video because he is calm and methodical yet maintains drive and a nice pace. He is tracking each footstep (and picking up the bait) but not frantically casting around. His tail just hangs and his body language shows focus without leaking drive. I also think it's interesting the handler is only about 10 feet back. I see a lot of people try to work down the line with their dog way too soon, now I don't feel like I'm behind if I'm only tracking 10-15' back during training. Finally I liked how the dog puts his nose right into the track at the flag and after the articles.
Yeah you're all exactly right. Its really hard to get 100 in track - its the consistency, calmness and confidence that the judges look for and even if the dog speeds up 1% after a corner or something thats enough to lose that final point (which is why he got 99 instead of 100 at the worlds!).

Kai isn't the best tracking dog but he does have show good consistency.

His tracking scores are 100 IPO 1, 98 IPO 2, 98 IPO 3, 90 2011 UK Nationals, 78 at the first 2012 Team GB Qualifier, 98 2012 Team GB World Championship Qualifier Finals, 99 at the 2012 World Championships and 99 at the 2012 UK National Championships.

This is one of his worst ever tracks at the 2011 UK Nationals where he scored 90 points

The video doesn't do justice to how windy it actually was but you get the picture. The wind picks up, he gets into difficulty and then the tail starts wagging. Waggy tails are not a good sign in tracking! However one of the competitors in the same trial scored 99 (Beckenberry Casper and Henriette Bohnstedt) - the same dog scored 100 at the World Championships. To get a dog to do 99 in those conditions is as far as I'm concerned as close to tracking perfection as you can get as far as the GSD is concerned.

You also mentioned how we don't train at the end of a 10 metre line and I totally agree, you shouldn't really spend a whole lot of time at 10 metres as you can't really assess whats going on and be close enough to deal with problems quickly enough. Its more important to have a good level of control in training. Obviously you need to do a few tracks at 10 metres just so you're not throwing a curve ball at the dog in the middle of a competition but short tracking lines are, for me, the way to go for 99% of training tracks

Last edited by Vislor; 12-12-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Vislor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Opening an old thread here, but you sound disappointed that you are getting high 90's? Needless to say I understand the importance of perfection especially in the advancement of the breed (your dogs), but ****, from an onlooker such as myself, someone who is still only in the scent pad, your dogs are GODS... this is a beautiful thing to see!

Come to Australia and advocate the sport..! I beg you... Once a dog gets an IPO/Sch/KNPV title, the Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) wont even allow us to attach that to a dogs pedigree..! Come to think of it.. Protection work is BANNED in some parts of Australia...

Beautiful dog.. beautiful tracking.. Excellent training!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.