Working your dog in defense - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #81 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Vandal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Saugus, CA
Posts: 2,180
Default

Nope, no opinions, just trying to figure out what you are talking about. Think I have it figured out now.
__________________

Anne
www.adlerstein.com
Vandal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #82 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
Nope, no opinions, just trying to figure out what you are talking about. Think I have it figured out now.
It was simply that in the pictures I had just posted, Katya, who always hackles when she is working in aggression (she doesn't work in defense), was hackling for that exercise... further, that exercise was what I would like'd to have seen the dog doing in x11's video rather than with a fence involved.
__________________
Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #83 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GSDElsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central, NY
Posts: 4,144
Default

I think I probably wasn't really saying what I wanted to when I started this thread...and totally worded it wrong. I guess really what I was getting at is not working the dog in just defense, but rather just a situation where defense/fight drive/aggression gets brought out through certain exercises. Even though I said it, in hindsight straight "defense" wasn't really what I meant.
__________________
J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #84 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
hunterisgreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 3,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I think I probably wasn't really saying what I wanted to when I started this thread...and totally worded it wrong. I guess really what I was getting at is not working the dog in just defense, but rather just a situation where defense/fight drive/aggression gets brought out through certain exercises. Even though I said it, in hindsight straight "defense" wasn't really what I meant.
I assumed you meant what you just said.
__________________
Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
abakerrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I think I probably wasn't really saying what I wanted to when I started this thread...and totally worded it wrong. I guess really what I was getting at is not working the dog in just defense, but rather just a situation where defense/fight drive/aggression gets brought out through certain exercises. Even though I said it, in hindsight straight "defense" wasn't really what I meant.
Ive been following this thread given than I also work my dog in the same fashion. I guess since I have personal experience with the context of the protection work your referencing, i'm finding that what our experiences have been with this style of training is vastly different from what a lot of people think it might be and what they think the dog will/wont get out of it. The way this training works in the way i've seen it used is designed to bring out a strong, confident dog that doesn't rely on equipment to turn on a strong aggressive response. With that, I think its has a lot of value in bringing out the realness in a dog. I've personally used it to also teach my dog a sharp on and off switch with her aggression. I particularly like that it reinforces her aggression towards the person instead of equipment. Shes a sport dog and I certainly don't teach her these things to make her a PPD, particularly because I have no personal need for that. I cross train in different avenues because I like to see the strengths/ weakness of my dog by putting her in different contexts of work.

Never has my dog been whipped, beaten, or pushed past anything she can't handle in this style of work. That's my responsibility as her partner to make sure I never put her in a situation where a helpers actions are unwarranted or detrimental to her overall well-being. Matter of fact, not only does she really like this type of work away from the schutzhund field, she excels at it. I think personal opinions of this type of work relies heavily on past experiences and exposure. If you've seen it done in a correct fashion, that produced a positive outcome, you may think it has value... whereas if you've seen it done in an incorrect way, that produced a negative outcome, you may feel it doesn't have value.
abakerrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #86 (permalink)
Moderator
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 18,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I think I probably wasn't really saying what I wanted to when I started this thread...and totally worded it wrong. I guess really what I was getting at is not working the dog in just defense, but rather just a situation where defense/fight drive/aggression gets brought out through certain exercises. Even though I said it, in hindsight straight "defense" wasn't really what I meant.
Yeah I took your post to refer to "aggression" in general, or working a dog beyond prey, as in he hold and bark being an aggression exercise and not just barking for a toy or tug game exercise.
__________________
Coke (All-American 7/7/06)
Nikon (GSD 9/7/08)
Indy (All-American 5/10/12)
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #87 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
GSDElsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Central, NY
Posts: 4,144
Default

Ok, glad some people got what I was saying...it just seemed like some didn't and I do think it could have been worded differently...some of these concepts are so hard to put into words I feel like it can be hard to know that we are all talking about the same thing and are on the same page!
__________________
J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #88 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 24,536
Default

So abakerrr, do you train at the same club as Justine?
Justine, I understood your meaning as well!
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #89 (permalink)
x11
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,291
Default

good balanced post in a potentially emotional type thread where people are half guessing what each other actually mean - at least i post vids more times than not


Quote:
Originally Posted by abakerrr View Post
Ive been following this thread given than I also work my dog in the same fashion. I guess since I have personal experience with the context of the protection work your referencing, i'm finding that what our experiences have been with this style of training is vastly different from what a lot of people think it might be and what they think the dog will/wont get out of it. The way this training works in the way i've seen it used is designed to bring out a strong, confident dog that doesn't rely on equipment to turn on a strong aggressive response. With that, I think its has a lot of value in bringing out the realness in a dog. I've personally used it to also teach my dog a sharp on and off switch with her aggression. I particularly like that it reinforces her aggression towards the person instead of equipment. Shes a sport dog and I certainly don't teach her these things to make her a PPD, particularly because I have no personal need for that. I cross train in different avenues because I like to see the strengths/ weakness of my dog by putting her in different contexts of work.

Never has my dog been whipped, beaten, or pushed past anything she can't handle in this style of work. That's my responsibility as her partner to make sure I never put her in a situation where a helpers actions are unwarranted or detrimental to her overall well-being. Matter of fact, not only does she really like this type of work away from the schutzhund field, she excels at it. I think personal opinions of this type of work relies heavily on past experiences and exposure. If you've seen it done in a correct fashion, that produced a positive outcome, you may think it has value... whereas if you've seen it done in an incorrect way, that produced a negative outcome, you may feel it doesn't have value.
x11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
abakerrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Central NY
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
So abakerrr, do you train at the same club as Justine?
Both of them, yes.
abakerrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum