Working your dog in defense - Page 19 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 AM   #181 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a filly coming to sniff my dog at tracking, with her nervous mother behind. Diabla and filly engaged in play and grooming and it was so cute to see that I had to stop tracking for pictures. A stallion approached Akela and us at tracking too... that one wasn't that cute...

And for funny moments at trial I've had the dog in the long down flying across the field running between my dog and me on the sit in motion and the dog that found a forgotten toy on the end of the field during the equipment test the day before trial and wanting to do a send away to that spot both in the recall and before checking the blinds.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #182 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Oh no, the cat again! LOL we were just talking about this at the seminar.

All of these have happened to me/my dog in trial/show/run:
- cat on the field during my obedience
- goats about 20 feet away running zoomies and humping each other
- 4 inches of standing water on the field (had to do a cram session convincing the dog she *could* sit and down in standing water)
- dog up in the long down
- female in standing heat in front of my dog
- judge stopping my performance to play-criticize me as if I wasn't nervous enough already
- dog run to judge instead of helper
- judge having a medical emergency (heart attack?)

You just never know....
The day befor jagers BH we were practicing and jäger was a bit antsy in the long down. He stayed down and arched his back weird so I went over thinking he was getting ready to puke. He was pooping, while staying down. I praised him lol
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #183 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Hunter, at the Nationals in, I think, 2006 a dog pooped, turned around, ate the poop and then turned back around into the correct position. The audience was dying with laughter (it was gross and funny), but the handler had NO idea what had happened until the judge commented in the critique.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #184 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Hunter, at the Nationals in, I think, 2006 a dog pooped, turned around, ate the poop and then turned back around into the correct position. The audience was dying with laughter (it was gross and funny), but the handler had NO idea what had happened until the judge commented in the critique.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #185 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
I'd have claimed I trained the dog to clean up if it couldn't hold it lol.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #186 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

Remind me to never, ever trial, with Lies.

Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, AD, CGC

Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.
Caja's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #187 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I missed this thread. Just got done reading it, and realizing how much I have to learn.

It's not just Lies, but the whole group of them I'm thinking has some bad mojo going on, LOL! I guess that's one way to proof a dog to distractions!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #188 (permalink)

You trial enough and you will see a little of everything! I haven't done hardly any SchH trials (just three) but have done agility, SDA, different types of conformation, obedience/rally with multiple dogs and other types of performance events.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #189 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Lies...what is the difference between SchH and SDA?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #190 (permalink)
Crowned Member

SchutZhund.

Gesundheit .

--- in the first North American Campagne trial - free track , they had run out of tracking area , so my entry pulled the last straw , and a track was improvised that ran beside a drainage ditch , crossed the road, and ran along the backsides of a brand new subdivision that was unfenced with a kids birthday party at one location , a semi-construction site with skill saws whining and somewhere in the middle a kid on the back porch with a soccer ball . Lost control of the ball which ran right in front of the dog , who had a penchant for carrying things in his mouth all the time including buckets, bricks, car tires -- he deviated a few feet picked the ball up , went back to the track and continued tracking with the ball - the kid come running out screaming for the ball , the parents come running out screaming at the kid . Oy ! Track stopped, toy returned . Track continued. This is where I lost the points . although the dog finished the track successfully. This was the first trial of this sort ever . The day was so blazing hot every one was phoned , say at 5 in the morning to report for trial to begin promptly at 8 .

Courage is "KENO: Keno, a five-year-old German Shepherd, owned by Constable John Gerrits, suffered severe injures in his successful attempt in capturing a breaking-and-entering suspect. Constable Gerrits and his police service dog Keno answered an emergency call about a breaking-and-entering in progress.

When they arrived at the scene, the suspect had already begun to escape from the crime area. During the chase, Keno rounded a corner and was struck by an on-coming car. Despite Keno's severe bleeding from the accident, the canine continued to chase the suspect. Keno quickly caught up with the suspect and tackled him to the ground. He then gripped the criminal's arm, allowing the officers to arrest him. As a result of the accident, Keno required stitches in his leg and suffered head injuries." --- for this he was the Purina Hall of Fame winner

that was Carmspack Keno who continued his illustrious career in policing serving close to his 11th year - then retired to hang out at the station , be included in mock arrests and training scenarios , going home to family with young child , living as he always had , in abundant health and being loved .

Carmspack

Last edited by carmspack; 12-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.