Working your dog in defense - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #101 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I guess I don't understand that-your arguement is that it is a great tool-but in order to find out more about it I need to PM someone-and you are embarrassed to put a video on-strange-and if someone has different views they are ridiculed because they obviously don't know what they are talking about
It's totally inappropriate to publicly post a video of someone else working your dog in what (is obviously) a controversial topic. Sorry if you don't like the answer, but perhaps someone who works dogs on tables is willing to share their videos with you. I like to keep my training helpers and decoys on my good side and unless they are comfortable with having stuff spread all over the internet it's not getting posted. I will share videos of me working my dogs and at trials, but most definitely not of someone else working my dog on a table. I'm sorry you don't like it, but I'm not a member of the forum for someone to try and bully me into something. Embarrased? Most definitely not, but excellent passive-aggressive move there.

I have absolutely no qualms with people not wanting to do table work. I completely understand if someone has only been exposed to bad table work why they don't like it. HOWEVER, I will NOT tolerate someone telling me that me working my dog on a table is akin to dogfighting Michael Vick style and to somehow imply I am engaging in abusive behavior with my dog by doing it. Completely inappropriate and I am quite shocked that some of you are trying to play the victim in this whole charade because you didn't get a video shown to you.

This thread was not about table work and the pros and cons. It veered into that realm as people began throwing words around that implied table work involved whipping the living daylights out of a dog. Other than explaining that that is absolutley NOT what good table work is about and most certainly NOT happening with my dog when he is on the table, I really see no point in going round and round. It's like politics--I'm not going to convince a die hard Dem to vote for Romney and I'm not going to convince a die hard 'Pub to vote for Obama. I really don't even have an interest in dispelling misconceptions about table work except that in this case it involved MY dog.

As I've stated a million times in this thread...I was curious what each person did to work their dogs in defense/fight drive through stress/pressure. Lots of different ways. I did that through table work last weekend, and I was curious about how other people did it with their dogs. I was not endorsing a particular method.
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland View Post
I guess I don't understand that-your arguement is that it is a great tool-but in order to find out more about it I need to PM someone-and you are embarrassed to put a video on-strange-and if someone has different views they are ridiculed because they obviously don't know what they are talking about
Let me google that for you
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #103 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lies that was totally awesome-goggle is really your friend after all-do you like sushi?
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #104 (permalink)

I stopped reading this one after page 6. "Hunter" you do not know what you are talking about; defense, hackles, muzzle, period.
t.lesniak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.lesniak View Post
I stopped reading this one after page 6. "Hunter" you do not know what you are talking about; defense, hackles, muzzle, period.
Lol. Ok. Enlighten me
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #106 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Start with a simple one. Hackling. I said
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
It was simply that in the pictures I had just posted, Katya, who always hackles when she is working in aggression (she doesn't work in defense), was hackling for that exercise...
School me on what is incorrect in that statement. I'm a sponge. Teach me.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #107 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Justine, sometimes it is better to not post on some topics, between the people who pass judgement with very limited exposure, and the people who don't like something and take a contrary position, and then you have the careless, that you just ignore....just send it to like minded people who can comment on what you are asking, without judging the activity. TC
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #108 (permalink)

I just quickly re-read this thread and I see ONE person who seemed to really feel negatively about the use of tables.

My issue is not with table work or any other kind of work. I have a problem when the message from people on this board seems to be only idiots and bad trainers use abusive methods. That is patently untrue.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #109 (permalink)
Banned

Wow... just wow... that's all I'm going to say at this point.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #110 (permalink)

I still think Justine asked a very good question that people aren't answering. Forget table work, it seems to me that people who like the table find ways of making it useful and people that don't can find ways of training a dog without it (I've never had any of my dogs worked on a table and have only seen a few dogs on a table in person where I was not really paying attention to them so I have no opinion).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.