point chooser - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Cool point chooser

So I see a lot of time people recommend doing "a" instead of "b" in the case that "x" happens in a trial, because you lose less points doing "a".

For a very obvious example: if the dog is running back to you on dumbbell retrieve and is coming in a little crooked, you obviously would rather him sit crooked then move your feet because it should be 0 points if handler moves, whereas you only lose a few points if dog comes in crooked. This was just a very obvious example to drive home the point of this thread.

Now, I know points are not the end all be all of schutzhund trials. But, I thought it could be a good idea to start a thread with specific questions regarding which of the two options will lose more points.

So, I can start...

In my IPO1 trial, C phase, I send the dog to blind 5. Dog starts veering towards blind 6 (i.e. skipping 5) because of my training first and foremost but also because he saw the helper go into blind 6. I gave 2nd command almost immediately and dog runs to blind 5 and then 6. What would be more points deduction? Giving second command, or letting dog skip blind 5?

I know the whole search is just 5 points, but it's one example where I wasn't sure which is better.

So, feel free to answer this question and if you are relatively new (as I am) feel free to post your own questions.
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love this topic! Will be watching closely for other stories and helpful answers!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
GatorDog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
In my IPO1 trial, C phase, I send the dog to blind 5. Dog starts veering towards blind 6 (i.e. skipping 5) because of my training first and foremost but also because he saw the helper go into blind 6. I gave 2nd command almost immediately and dog runs to blind 5 and then 6. What would be more points deduction? Giving second command, or letting dog skip blind 5?

I know the whole search is just 5 points, but it's one example where I wasn't sure which is better.

So, feel free to answer this question and if you are relatively new (as I am) feel free to post your own questions.
OK I think in IPO1 level you did the right thing, -2 for extra command or -5 for not running any blinds..... This changes some for IPO3 when the blind search is 10 points, -2 for skipping a blind, -2 for extra command....-4 if you give the second command and he still skips the blind...so if you are going to give the extra command, be sure he is going to do it.

This is also part of being a handler, if I let him skip blinds do I loose control later....Or as I had a softer dog, If I gave a strong second command, then he was worried, better fot me to loose the 2 points and have him go into the blind feeling strong.....So part is knowing the points, but part is also knowing your dog

Frank
schh3fh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How about slight handler help Vs. the dog missing the sit, down or stand in motion? I am talking maybe a shifting of the shoulder, slight hesitation in the pace, type of slight help. Not talking about what one of our members did on the stand when they reached down and put their hand on the dog's chest. -5 pts for missing the exercise Vs. ? points for the slight handler help.

Or, allowing the dog to go early on the send out instead of giving a second command to stay in the heel?

Another one I have seen. Handler outing the dumbbell almost immediately once dog is in the front position instead of waiting the 3 seconds. This is in the case of dogs that like to turn dumbbells into kindling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
How about slight handler help Vs. the dog missing the sit, down or stand in motion? I am talking maybe a shifting of the shoulder, slight hesitation in the pace, type of slight help. Not talking about what one of our members did on the stand when they reached down and put their hand on the dog's chest. -5 pts for missing the exercise Vs. ? points for the slight handler help.
Handler help is not a set deduction. It will go into the overall picture of the exercise and effect the rating, very slight may only know it to high very good, -.5 or maybe a little more help low SG -1. Heavy Handler help maybe knocks it to Good -1.5 to -2 pts... But the rules also say that if the judge deems that the dog would not have done the exercise without the help ALL points are lost....

Quote:
Or, allowing the dog to go early on the send out instead of giving a second command to stay in the heel?

This I would absolutely just give the command and try to hide it that the dog was leaving early, too small a buildup is a VERY small deduction, leaving early on own will be a effect the overall picture, how early, 2 steps short or handler says foss and dog takes off...But for me I would hide it if possible take the small hit and have the dog go fast...

Quote:
Another one I have seen. Handler outing the dumbbell almost immediately once dog is in the front position instead of waiting the 3 seconds. This is in the case of dogs that like to turn dumbbells into kindling.
Again the overall picture, you can tell when it is the dog is going to have wood chips flying out of his mouth or just the handler is nervous... Club trial it would range from -1 to -3... Championship it is flat out faulty, handler did not show 3 seconds and I would know it 2 catagories for skipping a big part of the exercise.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Long down is a spot where it's good to know the point break down (how far the dog can move for X-deduction, how long it has to stay still before it can break and still earn points, etc).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Long down is a spot where it's good to know the point break down (how far the dog can move for X-deduction, how long it has to stay still before it can break and still earn points, etc).

If dog breaks long down before the end of IPO1 ex 3, IPO2 ex 4, IPO3 ex 5 by more then 3 meters, 0 points…..If after the completion of those exercise then partial points are awarded accordingly. The dog can move up to 3 meters without it being considered as "broke the down". However depending on how much it moves will effect the overall rating of the exercise and result in a according point deduction...If the dog moves around a lot the down could still be considered insufficient but not all 10 gone, anything over -3.5 is insufficient.

Last edited by schh3fh2; 11-16-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

How timely! Just talked about this during a trial last weekend. Dog was sent for the send out, didn't go the whole distance, turned & stood there looking at me(didn't give a second command as I knew she wasn't going any further). I waited, for the judge to cue for the down...and waited... finally just told dog to down & she downed right away.
The discussion was about if I should have just downed her as soon as she stopped & turned rather than waiting for the judge.
Having never been in that situation before, I was a bit flustered at what to do chose to wait for the judge to cue for the down, rather than giving the command to down on my own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
northwoodsGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What did the judge say about it during your critique? I think you did the right thing!

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Thank you, Frank.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.