Disarmimg helper- dog crowding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Disarmimg helper- dog crowding?

Ok- sorry, I don't know all the terms yet. In a back transport, which I think is followed by the "reattack" (is that right?) the handler will then walk up, sit the dog (no barking allowed) and then walk past the helper and circle back around to ask for the stick.

In some of the SchH videos I've watched, it almost seems like the handler is using his left leg to push the dog away from the helper- like the dog is crowding him. Is this a point(s) deduction? Is this a show of poor obedience, or is it desirable for the dog to want to keep on the "bad guy?"

Maybe this isn't as common as I thought because I can't find a youtube video to show as an example. Hopefully you guys understand what I'm describing.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes you always set the dog up for success, lol. Nikon's very obedient in the protection phase but I still turn left away from the helper, and if the helper is close you can ask them to step back too (the handler controls the routine). If you are allowed to chose, why risk it? I also take the stick while in front, but that's personal preference.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually I'm not clear on your answer Lies. Is this step a show of obedience specifically- or should the dog be more focused on the bad guy (at the expensive of nice, noncrowded heeling)?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Define focus? The dog should not be unwilling to move with the handler nor pop forward and take a dirty jab at the helper. At this point the helper is stationary (and the handler may have asked him to take a step back away from the dog). You say "fuss" and then heel away, whichever way you choose but I don't know anyone that doesn't turn left. Then some people kind of back their dog into position and others take a circle around into position.

During protection I don't really want my dog doing fancy prancy happy face heeling, I prefer him to just walk with me and look forward (or at the helper), but he MUST heel when I say heel. Yes if the dog is crowding such that the handler is pushing him into position that probably incurs point deductions. How much would depend on the level of the trial and the overall picture.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
The dog should not be unwilling to move with the handler nor pop forward and take a dirty jab at the helper.
This answered my question. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Gotcha. I should add a disclaimer: IMHO!

I don't want to have to shove my dog off the helper with my thigh, to me that's not correct, BUT if I'm in a trial and that's what I have to do I will do it (or give an extra command).
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Ok- sorry, I don't know all the terms yet. In a back transport, which I think is followed by the "reattack" (is that right?) the handler will then walk up, sit the dog (no barking allowed) and then walk past the helper and circle back around to ask for the stick.

In some of the SchH videos I've watched, it almost seems like the handler is using his left leg to push the dog away from the helper- like the dog is crowding him. Is this a point(s) deduction? Is this a show of poor obedience, or is it desirable for the dog to want to keep on the "bad guy?"

Maybe this isn't as common as I thought because I can't find a youtube video to show as an example. Hopefully you guys understand what I'm describing.
OK first this is the "side" transport...Back transport is when you and the dog are heeling behind the helper and he turns to attack.

you said " it almost seems like the handler is using his left leg to push the dog away from the helper- like the dog is crowding him. Is this a point(s) deduction?"

This is not correct. In Protectection the dog should show change of drives. The dog should heel correctly after being turned off from guarding and then given an obedience command. I'm not saying it must have perfect attention to handler but the handler should not be physically moving the dog with his/her leg. But that being said, I would never take any points just for crowding at a club trial. In a Championship you would mention in the critique that the dog should be more correct in the setup for side transport, there is no "set" deduction but it will go into the overall picture of that exercise and will effect the rating.

Frank
schh3fh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Gotcha. I should add a disclaimer: IMHO!

I don't want to have to shove my dog off the helper with my thigh, to me that's not correct, BUT if I'm in a trial and that's what I have to do I will do it (or give an extra command).

Hahaha...No, do it...The extra command is a "set deduction"...
schh3fh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schh3fh2 View Post
Hahaha...No, do it...The extra command is a "set deduction"...
Well there you have it Willy! Thanks Frank, I'll remember that.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)

Old 11-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What is a set deduction?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.